dailup queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi007

Youngling
dialup queries

Yepee....
I am permitted to have dialup in my home...took a huge time to argue and shout to my parents that i want dialup:mad:...i shouted so much that even the passerby's glanced at my home :wink:..it all happened after my results of 1st sem were announced..I got 85% which is hell lot more to my efforts...my marks are
chemistry 93,Maths 90,Electricals 68,Drawing(engg. Graphics) 60, Computers(CCP)97,Computers lab 96,chemistry lab 91
Total 595/700

This electricals and drawing ruined my whole percentage :mad:..other wise i would be the topper of the whole college..
now to the coming to the point,i currently have following queries....

1.I am thinking of having 500rs which has validity of 2years 100hrs and night time free..sunday/national holidays free...
now what are the procedures to get BSNL dialup..i have a BSNL land connection in the home..please tell me what are the things that i need to apply for BSNL dialup..

2.I know that the dialup is way too slow ..but what will be the average upload and download speed that i will get(i think it's around 5 kbps ..right??)

3.Now this is important..I have seen in the directory like this
call rates for internet access
8:00 to 10:00 180 pulse...
What does that mean..will that mean that after paying 500rs..we have to pay for the internet access in our monthly bills...?

4.I have a inbuilt 56kbps modem..i suppose it will work for dailup..it has 2 phone like slots..now why two..?

5.if we get any call during net access in the land line..what will happen? will the net gets disconnected or call busy will occur...

6.What are the wiring changes in the landline that we have to make...

7.I have heard that we have to wait too long to get connection in dialup..is it true..?

8.Will there be any change in normal phone bill cost after having dialup..

9.If ur(were) a dialup user please share ur experience..

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in Gurgaon. Here we have something called CLI Dialup Internet which tends to be much more cheaper. No hour limit or such thing. Just register at your City's NETONE site by first putting the telephone cable in the modem and connecting. (Details mentioned below)

I guess you can check here whether CLI NetOne is available (*www.bsnl.co.in/service/cities_cli.htm, *www.netonehsn.bsnl.co.in/ -see in the news). Hassan is included in the list. The charges are Rs. 6 per hour (actually 10p per minute)......and no need to buy any pack or such thing. Also you can check your usage anytime and it will also display the amount you'll have to pay at the end of the month.:D

I think this will be better for you instead of hourly packs.

Also no chance of misuse of the account as the phone number is checked at every authentication (CLI).:D

Procedure of Registering:
Connect to the Internet by dialing 172222, Username: netone Passwwrd: netone
-----Register at your city's netone site (mentioned here: *www.bsnl.co.in/service/cities_cli.htm), disconnect and connect with the username and password with which you registered:D

Hope this helps you out..........

Last edited:

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
I use dial-up on my cellphone with edge...(Airtel)
It gives me a download speed of 10kbps,,,
charge:320rs/month

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
I live in Gurgaon. Here we have something called CLI Dialup Internet which tends to be much more cheaper. No hour limit or such thing. Just register at your City's NETONE site by first putting the telephone cable in the modem and connecting. (Details mentioned below)

I guess you can check here whether CLI NetOne is available (*www.bsnl.co.in/service/cities_cli.htm, *www.netonehsn.bsnl.co.in/ -see in the news). Hassan is included in the list. The charges are Rs. 6 per hour (actually 10p per minute)......and no need to buy any pack or such thing. Also you can check your usage anytime and it will also display the amount you'll have to pay at the end of the month.:D

I think this will be better for you instead of hourly packs.

Also no chance of misuse of the account as the phone number is checked at every authentication (CLI).:D

Procedure of Registering:
Connect to the Internet by dialing 172222, Username: netone Passwwrd: netone
-----Register at your city's netone site (mentioned here: *www.bsnl.co.in/service/cities_cli.htm), disconnect and connect with the username and password with which you registered:D

Hope this helps you out..........

But i want to go for package coz it offers night time,sunday and national holiday's free..
moreover it will cost me less than 6 rs coz for 500rs package it offers 100 hrs..that means 5 rs per hour and 2 years validity and moreover nighttime free
Do u know the procedures to apply for packages..please i want to know procedures urgently...

I use dial-up on my cellphone with edge...(Airtel)
It gives me a download speed of 10kbps,,,
charge:320rs/month
320 rs/month :shock: that's costly..
u can get a decent broadband connection at that amount..

and BTW ..
here is webpage for details of BSNL dialup *www.bsnl.co.in/newsdetailed.php?news_id=45
there is a column called Tariff for Internet Access Local Call..
here is the extract from it
Tariff for Internet Access Local Calls
The tariff for internet access local calls [Calls made to internet access nos like 172XXX] are given below:
Packages Period (Hr) Pulse (Seconds) Period (Hr) Pulse (Seconds)

Standard (TRAI) 0800-2000 120 2000-0800 180
BSNL Alternate Package 0630-2230 180 2230-0630 600
*Service Tax as applicable shall be extra
i don't understand what it is ..whether we have to pay for the internet in our monthly bills even after paying amount for package.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
But i want to go for package coz it offers night time,sunday and national holiday's free..

i don't understand what it is ..whether we have to pay for the internet in our monthly bills even after paying amount for package.

I think you are getting it. In dial up, free hours means they will not subtract from your package hours, but you will STILL be paying local call charges (which is quite expensive). I believe there is a "different" local call charge for internet use which is less than the regular local call charges 10p/min. See here
*www.bsnl.co.in/service/internet_tariff.htm#local

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Re: dialup queries

1.I am thinking of having 500rs which has validity of 2years 100hrs and night time free..sunday/national holidays free...
now what are the procedures to get BSNL dialup..i have a BSNL land connection in the home..please tell me what are the things that i need to apply for BSNL dialup..
If this is what you are going for, you don't need any more procedures. You could get a renewal coupon from a stationery store. (atleast that is how it works in gurgaon for tata indicom dialup.
2.I know that the dialup is way too slow ..but what will be the average upload and download speed that i will get(i think it's around 5 kbps ..right??)
go for dialup only if that is your only option. Dialup sucks nowadays and it is difficult to get even a reasonable level of connectivity nowadays. The server is also usually busy during peak hours like morning, evening and during the start of the free hours. go for a cheap broadband plan instead if you can afford it.
3.Now this is important..I have seen in the directory like this

What does that mean..will that mean that after paying 500rs..we have to pay for the internet access in our monthly bills...?
Yes, you have to pay more for the telephone access, though as pointed out above, by nucleuskore, it is a bit less, but often, it is that, when you get the phone bills, you will be in for a rude shock. My boss got a similar dialup for his daughter who was on college vacations on my recommendation and got stuck with a bill for Rs. 3000/- I was left with an egg on my face. :-(. Broadband is cheaper.
4.I have a inbuilt 56kbps modem..i suppose it will work for dailup..it has 2 phone like slots..now why two..?
One takes the line in, that is the wire from the pole or from bsnl exchang, ie the one that comes it. the other slot is where you connect your phone so that when the dialup is not working, you can make calls without switching wires around. When you are dialing in or connected to dialup you can pickup your phone and listen to the cool noises it makes. You will feel like a phreaker. :)
5.if we get any call during net access in the land line..what will happen? will the net gets disconnected or call busy will occur...
The caller will get a call busy error, but if call waiting is activated, the internet connection might get disconnected if the line quality is poor.
6.What are the wiring changes in the landline that we have to make...
bring the wire inserted into the phone to your computer modem's line-in slot and take a wire from your modem's phone slot to your phone.
7.I have heard that we have to wait too long to get connection in dialup..is it true..?
Depends on how free the server is. Under ideal conditions should not take more than 30 seconds.
8.Will there be any change in normal phone bill cost after having dialup..
refer to answer to question 3
9.If ur(were) a dialup user please share ur experience..
[/quote]
was a dialup user for over a year before we shifted to the new building. Really miss those crackles and sqwaks over the line when the modem speaker is turned on. Just watch the usage and go easy for the first month. Based on the bill you can decide how you want to go about it.
And don't get frustrated when it doesn't connect. Just note the times when the server is busy and try to connect when it is usually free.
And if you are downloading stuff, only download with download managers from sites that support resumable download.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
moreover it will cost me less than 6 rs coz for 500rs package it offers 100 hrs..that means 5 rs per hour and 2 years validity and moreover nighttime free
Do u know the procedures to apply for packages..please i want to know procedures urgently...
It means 500rs + 6rs per hour. That means 5+6rs per hour 11rs per hour.
If you would have bought from Sify or someother ISP then it had been 3rs (am not sure about this) more which BSNL had to pay to the other ISP. That is 14rs per hour....(5+6+3)........

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
@ilugd:thnks for such a long reply...i just went to BSNL office yeseterday and brought the application form and asked every details possible.....

It means 500rs + 6rs per hour. That means 5+6rs per hour 11rs per hour.
If you would have bought from Sify or someother ISP then it had been 3rs (am not sure about this) more which BSNL had to pay to the other ISP. That is 14rs per hour....(5+6+3)........
Didn't understood what u meant by this:confused: and
BTW if ur using inet or net one or sancharnet right now..read the following..

Attention to every dailup users

Most of the dailup users don't know that u have to pay for call charges too apart from internet charges....
This applies to every users who access net from no. like 172233 ,172222 etc... i general 172XXX..
The call charges latest update is..
6;30 to 21:30 -1 call(1 rs.)/6 minutes
21:30 to 6:30 -1 call(1 rs.)/12 minutes...

Now this is important even if the internet usage charge is free during nights,sundays and national holidays..u have to pay for the call charges..
That means if u use net during night time(21:30 to 6:30),then also u have to pay 1*5=5rs.
This call charge will be inculded in ur monthly bills and there will be no separate category..so u will not know that this is from ur internet usage..

Now consider this if u use one hour internet on day time then it will cose u..
5rs(deducted from prepaid account) or 6rs(post paid users(inet,netone))+ call rates i.e, 1*10=10 rs..
So a whooping 15 or 16 rs... :shock:

i dunno about other ISP but make sure u check before u use them thinking it's free for night times..if ur ISP providing conection has a facility to check call meter then do it..
For all BSNL users the number to check meter reading is 1092..it's computerised..it will tell the reading of the call meter..u have to remember the call meter reading in the previous month..then u can subtract and calculate the phone bill u will get..Now the most intresting part is this service costs u 1call(1rs) per meter checking..

Isn't it a nice service from BSNL :mad::mad:

Last edited:

VexByte

Norms Buster
BSNL Package (with effect from 21.10.2004)

Peak Hours

Time : 0730-2230

Pulse (Seconds) : 450

Off Peak Hours

Time : 2230-0730

Pulse (Seconds) : 900

*www.bsnl.co.in/service/internet_tariff_home.htm

I don't know what's meant by BSNL Package. Is it the Sancharnet package(*sancharnet.in/) itself ?

adi007 said:
The call charges latest update is..
6;30 to 21:30 -1 call(1 rs.)/6 minutes
21:30 to 6:30 -1 call(1 rs.)/12 minutes...

From where did you get this info ? I don't think that this is accurate !

adi007 said:
For all BSNL users the number to check meter reading is 1092..it's computerised..it will tell the reading of the call meter..

This is not working in my BSNL landline. May be restricted to a few specific areas only.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@adi007
I was saying the same thing which you have posted now. You have to pay Rs.6 per hour in your monthly bill even when you use a PACK. You'll have to pay for the call charges and more over you have paid for the PACK.

So, the Netone CLI which I suggested helps here. You don't have to pay for the PACK (no need for a Pack). You just have to pay Rs.6 per hour or 10p per minute.

BTW I only use Netone when I eat up my Dataone 5GB limit.

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
@adi007
I was saying the same thing which you have posted now. You have to pay Rs.6 per hour in your monthly bill even when you use a PACK. You'll have to pay for the call charges and more over you have paid for the PACK.

So, the Netone CLI which I suggested helps here. You don't have to pay for the PACK (no need for a Pack). You just have to pay Rs.6 per hour or 10p per minute.

BTW I only use Netone when I eat up my Dataone 5GB limit.
i think ur wrong about netone..
every number 172XXX will cut ur call charges..but the thing is u will not notice it since it will be embedded in ur monthly telephone bills..note that it will not come separately..i asked the BSNL official and i came to know that every number of internet access(172XXX) will have it's call charges..That means netone,inet every service that requires dialling 172XXX will have call charges..
if u don't believe me check the meter at 1092..

*www.bsnl.co.in/service/internet_tariff_home.htm

I don't know what's meant by BSNL Package. Is it the Sancharnet package(*sancharnet.in/) itself ?

From where did you get this info ? I don't think that this is accurate !

This is not working in my BSNL landline. May be restricted to a few specific areas only.

I just visited the BSNL head office at HASSAN and asked them all..I think it's 100%accurate..Don't believe the websites they have outdated informations...
and regarding 1092 it's working fine in case of me..Check ur telephone directory and find any number stating Computerised meter reading and so..May be the number is different for u..I suggest u call BSNL helpline or call center and they will give more info ..

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arrey, I am saying, was saying the same which you are saying that we are charged for dialing 172*** even if we have bought a Pack........
We'll be charged 10p per minute and it will be embedded in our bills.......

I meant to say that if you'll buy a pack, you are still going to pay the call charges. But in CLI Internet no need to buy Pack (money saved), you are just going to pay the call charges. And also packs can be used by anyone from any location. CLI Netone can only be used from your Telephone line..........

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
here is what BSNL official told me..

"If u access netone u will be charged 6rs per hour the charge will come as separate 'Internet usage charge' in ur bills; apart from cutting 6rs the call charges for dailing the number(172XXX) will be cut in ur telephone bills and it will not be separate..so u will not know how much is cut for call charges..."

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haan baba........
If we use Netone, we'll get a new section of Netone in Debits section of the bill.......
But if we use Sify or other, they'll be in our Metered Call Charges......

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
Dailup ko goolee maro..
I am permitted to have broadband :D:D:D
please suggest me a good package and service for 250rs /month at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=736795

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom