Custom Duty related query.

©mß

Journeyman
I will be ordering a yoyo from a store in Japan.
The total price is $17.99.
So, do I have to pay custom duty and if yes how much? I checked in a site under Toys category it was around Rs250. Is it right? If not correct me.
Second, as the total is $17.99 and if I pay through debit card will something extra be charged?(since will be ordering first time from outside India.)
I have experience of online buying in India but not outside of India.
Help me with these two problems.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
1. Conversion charges for any international money transfer.
2. There is no set amount for custom duty. You may end up paying price equal to the cost of product.
3. Parcel can be stolen at customs if its not with proper tracking. I never received parcels with docket number tracking. Go for EMS speed post or above.

OP
©mß

©mß

Journeyman
Please elaborate the 1st point about conversion charges. How much would it cost if pay say $20?
And it would be delivered by EMS only.

OP
©mß

©mß

Journeyman
Why isn't there any fixed custom charges.
Now my parents are not allowing me to buy since it would increase the price ;_;
All because of custom duty.
Isn't there any other way? :(

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Why isn't there any fixed custom charges.
Now my parents are not allowing me to buy since it would increase the price ;_;
All because of custom duty.
Isn't there any other way? :(

I don't know. Customs have monopoly over how much they charge. It will be a waste of your time to argue over this with them. You know how things works in India.

Get it from someone who is outside India. I ordered so many items from ebay hongkong when I was abroad. None of them was stolen, even with just docket number tracking. And was not ever charged custom duties ever.

OP
©mß

©mß

Journeyman
I don't know. Customs have monopoly over how much they charge. It will be a waste of your time to argue over this with them. You know how things works in India.

Get it from someone who is outside India. I ordered so many items from ebay hongkong when I was abroad. None of them was stolen, even with just docket number tracking. And was not ever charged custom duties ever.

You mean you ordered from ebay Hongkong and you were not charged a penny as custom duty?
You brought your order yourself or was it delivered?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
You mean you ordered from ebay Hongkong and you were not charged a penny as custom duty?
You brought your order yourself or was it delivered?

I used to check post office after 1-2 weeks. Sometimes it was delivered to my mail box. Was never charged a penny. Max orders were about 300 dollars worth. Got my kindle paperwhite from ebay us.

But the awesome thing was that I never had to fear the parcel getting stolen or taking months to arrive even when ordered via normal airmail. Not a single parcel was ever lost or stolen.

Can't see same happening in India for decades.

OP
©mß

©mß

Journeyman
So, seems like I cannot buy a YYF yoyo and will have to get that yoyo available in flipkart. Never even heard the company of yoyo which flipkart sells. :/

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So, seems like I cannot buy a YYF yoyo and will have to get that yoyo available in flipkart. Never even heard the company of yoyo which flipkart sells. :/

If flipkart yoyo is cheaper then buy it. Otherwise try your luck with ordering from japan. May be you will get luck and won't have to pay and/or wait longer.

OP
©mß

©mß

Journeyman
If flipkart yoyo is cheaper then buy it. Otherwise try your luck with ordering from japan. May be you will get luck and won't have to pay and/or wait longer.

It is for sure cheaper at flipkart but hope it's performance is also good.

- - - Updated - - -

Simulated instance.

Import duty & taxes calculation result

That means I will have to pay 1k more. My parents won't allow me at all. :'(
Then it has to be flipkart only.

Top Bottom