CRT Monitor Software Degauss !

Scott274

Broken In
I have an 8 years old CRT monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 793s). The problem is I need to degauss the monitor every now and then, but the monitor side panel menu buttons aren't working too well (there is a horseshoe degauss selection there).

Now on my old Gigabyte Intel chipset motherboard, I could go into the "Intel Extreme Graphics" driver properties, monitor section, and there was a degauss button there with which I could successfully and easily soft degauss the CRT monitor.
But unfortunately now, with my new Digilite AMD chipset motherboard, there doesn't seem to be any degauss button I can find inside Windows. I have the latest AMD Catalyst drivers installed.

My question is, is there a software or some utility available with which I could degauss the monitor. It seems the monitor definitely support software degaussing as mentioned above or does this depend on the motherboard.
Running Windows 7 here now, is there some shortcut so this can be done within Windows..!
Looking for a quick and simple solution here if there is one.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
AFAIK, degauss is a hardware function. It manually resets the electron gun to the rear of CRT. The OS protects the underlying hardware, so you can only issue operations that it allows - I don't think h/w degauss is one of them.

I can't seem to come to terms with the fact that you managed to degauss through a software, but it is possible only if the vendor issued a driver (or there's a standard one, I don't know) that talked to the hardware possibly via interrupts.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
seems like old Intel gfx driver has the option for degauss a CRT :

how to degauss using software

look at the last post.

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
But my motherboard is 760G series AMD chipset. Can I install the Intel Extreme drivers? Wouldn't it cause conflics etc with the AMD Catalyst driver? Would this even work with the Digilite AMD motherboard, I mean degauss.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Personally, I'd refrain from installing dual drivers of anything - even if it's different versions of the same vendor. I'd suggest the same to you.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Op - you won't be able to install Intel extreme gfx driver on a mobo with AMD gfx integrated.

hardtester

Right off the assembly line
feel like degauss option to be on the monitor rather on the motherboard or drivers......board should have protection diodes near the vga area for avoiding flickering of screen......this is required....i feel digilite dl-a76mlk has these diode packs....

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
So is there no alternative way to degauss CRT just like the "Intel Extreme Graphics" driver used to ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
most probably NO.

This link might be helpful :

*www.wikihow.com/Degauss-a-Computer-Monitor

one tip from my end - not sure if it will work or not :

Press the brightness and contrast buttons at the same time - Some CRTS don't have a dedicated degauss button instead requires the pressing of brightness and contrast button at the same time.

Top Bottom