Creating Win XP bootable CD

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@aadipa
hey buddy plz help me out. i tried your steps but my cd doesnt boot. i have purchased original win xp home. the cd i got has sp2 integrated in it by default itself from microsoft. now i installed nlite and integrated the ryans may update pack and tweaked it a lil and made a bootable iso. i burnt the iso to a cd , but my system refuses to boot from the cd. what could be the problem ?

also microsoft's virtual pc doesnt run on home edition so i could not test it. and i am not complaining about wasting my cd but just need your help to rectify this problem. thanx.

OP
aadipa

aadipa

Padawan
@mohit:

how did u burnt that ISO file created with nLite to CD?

ISO files are the image of CDs, so you need to write the ISO by burning software which supports ISO burning.

Out popular Nero can do it.

In nero6
Recorder > Burn Image...

open the ISO file you created earlier and nero will write the ISO file to CD correctly, with boot sector info, thus making it bootable.

If you extract and write the extracted content of CD, then you are in problem, coz bootable data which is not extracted is gone. So follow the above method and replay.

Also if possible check first on CD-RW so that you wont waste more CDs ;)

rajat22

In the zone
WINDOWS XP Pro SP2 Version 5.1 build 2600 (English).

Thanks a lot of the tutorial. Have anyone ever tried to install windows from this cd?? :shock: :p :p
Yes, it installs WINDOWS XP Pro SP2 Version 5.1 build 2600 (English).
Furthermore,There is no serial needed. It's already integrated into the install disc . There is no activation crack needed, because this is the Corporate version. Just boot from the CD and install. :lol: :lol:

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@aadipa
thanx buddy , its working now after i burnt it the way u advised.

@rajat22
which cd are u talking bout rajat ?

rajat22

In the zone
@mohit
The bootable CD I Created on advice, when tried to use it after a format. The same CD 'Creating Win XP bootable CD'. Thanx to aadipa
again.

OP
aadipa

aadipa

Padawan
g_goyal2000 said:
Is it possible to make a bootable DVD of Win XP with the above given methods?

yes, you can add lot more things in DVD as u have huge space, methos will be same.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Is it possible to make a customized bootable CD/DVD with options to boot with multiple OS's.
I mean, I have Windows NT 4.0 WS, 2000 Pro, XP Pro & 2003 Server Standard Edition.
Is it possible to make a customized bootable DVD with choices at boot menu to boot with a specific Windows??????

OP
aadipa

aadipa

Padawan
Yes that is possible... I am not very sure about NT 4, but I have tried to put Win2K WinXP and Win2K3 and it works..

choudang

Padawan
i have made one Win XP bootable with SP2 integrated CD. but there are few problems that i have..........

1. During the installtion, there are few files are missing [after pressing Esc its installed with ignoring the file.
2. Its asked the 2nd Win XP with Service Pack 2 CD.

can anyone help me to create a clean XP CD. i didn't use nLite. i just integrated the service pack with the help of command line interface. [drive:\folder:> help xp_sp2]

shoegoe

Broken In

First of all thx aadipa for posting this tut. Its very helpful..

Now, about the task at hand...

I integrated sp2 to a winxp pro source though nLite in the posted method, and tried the iso image in the VPC. The installation was smooth and was error free.

Then i integrated the hotfixes from RVMUpdatePack and created another iso . I must mention that i did'nt play with other options till now as i had to test this iso for errorfree installation.

The formating and copying process went well. When the system restarted, i got an error in the GUI part if installation. It said that some of the files were missing and the installation is aborted.It asked for the location were sp2 was installed. I have included all the errors i got. Hope u can find the solution where i went wrong. And to make sure, i must inform u that the winxp sp2 without hotfixes(1st iso) ran VERY Well

*img181.imageshack.us/img181/2623/e12gb.th.jpg*img181.imageshack.us/img181/9387/e24ub.th.jpg*img181.imageshack.us/img181/5271/e39sj.th.jpg
*img272.imageshack.us/img272/1744/e322kq.th.jpg*img272.imageshack.us/img272/5884/e331tg.th.jpg

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Wow addi this tut is really gr8. I always tried to make cd bootable frm nero but it showed that the cd was made but it never booted. But after this it is working.

Cheers!!!

jinsujais

Broken In
Boot --- Multiboot

Don't you know about MULTIBOOTABLE disc's

I had seen one CD which contain more than one OS. But the main thing is that the size of the CD is about 670 MB. It has a beautiful boot menu. From that time onwards I would like to make such a CD. If you know how to make a multibootable CD, reply me @ jinsujais@hotmail.com

That CD contains WinXPPro,Home,98

OP
aadipa

aadipa

Padawan
Multiboot is easy... you need to use right boot images and boot loader

MSFN Multiboot forums is very good place for guides.

I have used BCDW to make multiboot cds.

Have a look here

Also have a look at an older but simple tool Diskemu

OP
aadipa

aadipa

Padawan
And about how all those GBs of files fit in a single CD, search for CDImage GUI

I am quoting my earlier post @ Size of data on CD :- 1.14GB
aadipa said:
nothing to do with compression

its a symbolic links working on cds

similar files in diff folders are stored on the cd only one. its links are entered into the file table so that every folder appers to have its own copy of such files.

u can use CDIMAGE software for creating such ISOs.

This technique is generally used in "n in 1" type of Windows OS CDs.

Top Bottom