Crashing D/L Speeds...Broken downloads...Sleepless Nights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_kunte

Journeyman
Hello All...

I have been encountering this strange problem for the last 5 days now....

I am using BSNL dataone broadband since the past few months & the experience has been great so far....But for the last week

Whenever I start a download, it starts downloading at somewhere around 45-50 kBps....And slowly the speed reduces to the normally available 30-32 kBps Here is a screenie of a "normal" download taking place...

*img148.imageshack.us/img148/7683/12kl1.th.jpg

Now my problem is that the download speed keeps dropping drastically as can be seen in the following screen shots, before the downloading stops abruptly.....

*img148.imageshack.us/img148/508/22kx.th.jpg

*img148.imageshack.us/img148/8560/35wi.th.jpg

*img148.imageshack.us/img148/5568/43lb.th.jpg

After this I "paused" & resumed the download which immediately showed me the download status as "complete" & corrupted the entire file(obviously)...

*img148.imageshack.us/img148/348/57on.th.jpg

Now this strange problem has been encountered since the last 5 days only....I tried to figure out possible reasons:
1. My phone was out of order during these days, although the net connection was on...(VERY STRANGE)

2. I had reformatted my machine a couple of weeks ago & some issues(Something like "limited connectivity") related to my LAN connection still persist...(??)

The most peeving part is that my downloads through limewire take place at the normal speed without any disconnections....

Could anyone explain why I am facing such problems?? Anyone else with similar problems?

Looking for replies...

HK

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
This is a query, which Bsnl Dataone bandwidth plan have you opted for??

If its a 256kbps plan, i doubt it will ever show 45-46kbps.
More likely, this means there is some problem with your Download Manager.
I see from those snapshots that you've opted for the built in Opera Download Manager.

Why dont you try a proper Download Manager like DAP or Flashget or IDM?

These give consistent speeds and you can even resume your downloads even if it does get disconnected.

Kindly reply as to your future observations.

Savvy:!:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
yeah... yrana2002 is right...

opt for DAP, Flashget or such... just goole for Download Manager u will have many option...

also download just dont depend on ur connection it also depends where u r downloading from, and how many routers the connection is crossing...

Like if u r downloading from Symantec of MS... u r likly to get a stady speed of 28KBPS (i guess u r over a 256kbps line)... but if the download is from Rapidshare of any slow download server u may get very slow speed...

also check the system for Virus or SpyWare they may eat up all the bandwidth....

dissel

Cyborg Agent
h_kunte said:
Now this strange problem has been encountered since the last 5 days only....I tried to figure out possible reasons:
1. My phone was out of order during these days, although the net connection was on...(VERY STRANGE)

2. I had reformatted my machine a couple of weeks ago & some issues(Something like "limited connectivity") related to my LAN connection still persist...(??)
HK

yes this is common......when your phone is dead you can acess your BB Internet Connetion.....and vice versa....

Sometimes your BB connection down but the phone line is ok....in that case you need to call the Dataone call center no. and tell them your modem name and Landline no. which you use for BB.....and the connection date of your BB.....
They give you a docket no. and within 24 hour you can get your BB Conetion accesable.

use this tcp/ip settings for your lan card

*www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/bb007.html

This is for Huawei MT 882

If you using another model ...plz check here

*www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/menu.html

it solves your limited connectivity of your lan.

Use Flash Get.....it is good and low for resourse....
you can use Dap ....it is eyecandy looks....if you love graphics....it can impressed you.....
I am using Flash Get since year 2003 with my Dial-up and now my Broadband also....current ver 1.75.
After getting BB I downlod via Flashget Large Linux Distro (FC5,Kubuntu DVD,Gentoo Full) and Solaries 10 in free night surfing hour......and it takes 3-5 days to complete the download....every time i break the download and resume next day.....and it never gets corupted.

Last edited:
OP
H

h_kunte

Journeyman
@yrana2002..

I have the BSNL Home 1000 plan which gives me a speed of 384 kbps...Thats why I now get a speed of around 48 kBps...

As far as downloading is concerned, I could figure out the problem to my newly installed firewall which hadnt been configured properly. I did that & the downloads have stopped giving me a problem.

But yes, I wanted to know about DAP, IDM & Flashget...Heard that they have some sort of spyware & adware which comes bundled with it...Could anyone please throw some light on it?

Looking for replies...

HK

arcticflare

Journeyman
yeah there is a prob of spyware with the free version of flashget but the commercial version gets rid of the banners and other spyware. I've been using flashget and it works fine for me

niggers

Broken In
Niggers here !

in my opinion disable firewall........ enable antivirus..... and u may some times get 42-48 for few seconds but constant 32-35 Kbps.

I also faced this problem , but actually its not a problem its is like that only. and it also depends from which server the data is comming and thru how many gateways and routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom