CPU Utilisation for games...

giprabu

In the zone
#Some guys in this forum say that games are capable of making full use of 3 cores of any multi-core processor.

Even some say that games like BFBC2 utilises all six cores in a hexa-core proccy.

Now my question is, how you guys measure this ?
and also how about the following games :
Fear 2
Medal of honor 2010
Call of duty BlackOps(yet to be released)
Metro 2033

wil they use all cores in my processor ?

Or is there anything like, a dx11 game utilizes the processor well than a dx9 one..?

ssb1551

Technomancer
"games like BFBC2 utilises all six cores in a hexa-core proccy" - WOW!!:flu-surprised8:..thts new to me!Where dija come across such a statement?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Here you go. Check out the below games, and their in-game core usage monitored as per Riva Tuner. Just ran these on my system....!

Resident Evil 5, COD:MW2, Crysis Warhead, Sniper Ghost Warrior

*img708.imageshack.us/img708/5748/re5g.png
*img253.imageshack.us/img253/6046/codmw2u.png
*img829.imageshack.us/img829/497/crysiswarhead.png
*img6.imageshack.us/img6/8210/sniperghostwarrior.png

4-Cores are being utilized quite beautifully...!

OP
giprabu

giprabu

In the zone
"games like BFBC2 utilises all six cores in a hexa-core proccy" - WOW!!:flu-surprised8:..thts new to me!Where dija come across such a statement?

well .. i couldn't show you the exact thread where i came across such a statement but i'm pretty sure that statement was made by a very regular senior forum member..

you can try this link too...
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/126960-will-games-fine-amds-x6-future.html#post1237528

Here you go. Check out the below games, and their in-game core usage monitored as per Riva Tuner. Just ran these on my system....!

Resident Evil 5, COD:MW2, Crysis Warhead, Sniper Ghost Warrior

*img708.imageshack.us/img708/5748/re5g.png

4-Cores are being utilized quite beautifully...!

how did you do that ? there is no such option as hardware monitor in riva tuner..
I just get this interface..
*img17.imageshack.us/img17/8975/rivay.jpg

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
well .. i couldn't show you the exact thread where i came across such a statement but i'm pretty sure that statement was made by a very regular senior forum member..

With due respect to that member, I would prefer to see a benchmark first rather than just believe him. Quick round to google didn't show any result.

Anyways games are slowly going towards multi-threading, which is good news.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Okay, All most all the games these days will take full use of the processors. If you want to consider checking amount of load on each core.. There are some pretty useful tools. The one of am using now is "All CPU meter" which is available as a simple gadget for Vista and 7 OS. It will monitor all your cores and maps Hyperthreading technology too. Have a look...

First one is Blur, next is L4D 2. You can see the gadget(The second one) showing utilization..there is graph feature as well.... It is quite handy.

*i55.tinypic.com/zuql1x.jpg

*i54.tinypic.com/2up69dw.jpg

Most of the games these days are designed for muti-core processors. I will monitor each and every game GPU and CPU utilization when i first play it.. and almost all of them took use of 4 physical cores that were in my Processor.

And, talking about riva tuner.. There is a feature called "Low Level Hardware Monitoring module" that can be accessed from the first tab of the application, you can see your GPU, CPU activity there.

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
After a little more googling I found out that Six cores are supported by Napoleon : TW. FSX and BFBC2 seem to do that too but not sure.

Am really interted in that CPU (1055T), want to know more about this.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@Giprabhu:
You can click on that arrow next to the customize, and choose hardware monitoring. I think for the CPU you would need to add a plug-in. It is CPU.dll.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

let me guess, was the comment made by Cilus? cause i remember him mention something like this. 6cores are utilized by a few games now. but hey, what about AMD Turbo Core? shouldn't it kick in when games are on. i mean when 2-3 cores are on load?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
The game's utilization of core count is dependent on the version of game engine that the game was designed in. The Source engine from Valve upgraded from Quad core to six core from Left 4 Dead 2. Anvil engine shifted to six cores from Prince of Persia: The sands of time. But not all engines upgraded their code to utilize 6 cores. And I'm not sure they will in near future. And lets say.. I'm not sure that Anvil will use 6 core architecture for it's next installment AC2 Brotherhood.

The problem is, by the architecture. The more cores for which the game is written for.. the less optimized the game becomes for dual and single core CPUs. And despite the fact that their power is sub-par.. They hold considerable market share. So, developers are not ready to abandon them as they have to sell more copies.

Lets do the calculation, Core 2 Quad Kentsfield released released in jan,2007. and Yolkfield in Mar,2008. And AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb was released in jan 2009 There were muti core games available from 2008. But, It took us this long for developers to make every game muti core supported. It will take more than a year to see flood of games that support 6 cores.

OP
giprabu

giprabu

In the zone
let me guess, was the comment made by Cilus? cause i remember him mention something like this. 6cores are utilized by a few games now. but hey, what about AMD Turbo Core? shouldn't it kick in when games are on. i mean when 2-3 cores are on load?

May be.. Its one of you guys who made the statement while suggesting the config for me.. almost 6 months back..

and finally, here is the result..
the cpu utilisation while running Medal Of Honor 2010.(dx11)
*img25.imageshack.us/img25/3092/finalsave.jpg
Far cry 2(dx10)
*img217.imageshack.us/img217/2000/farsave.jpg

and regarding the Turbo core feature, it has to kick off, but even i'm confused as what really is happening. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
My sincere request, please re size the images. I know, its easy to overlook. I posted couple of images like this. But, no offense.. please re size the pics. Each of of them is whooping 700kb.

And, MoH is designed for quad core processors But you can see a 10% performance increase if you have a hexa core proccy(source). The load on other two processors might be Thread branching technique or it might be operating system doing the trick.

And FC2, is designed for dual core processors. It is quite visible there.

OP
giprabu

giprabu

In the zone
My sincere request, please re size the images. I know, its easy to overlook. I posted couple of images like this. But, no offense.. please re size the pics. Each of of them is whooping 700kb.

And, MoH is designed for quad core processors But you can see a 10% performance increase if you have a hexa core proccy(source). The load on other two processors might be Thread branching technique or it might be operating system doing the trick.

And FC2, is designed for dual core processors. It is quite visible there.

yep.. things are pretty clear now as the games are slowly profitting from the additional cores .. and i'll see to that my images are low in size :p

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@Giprabu:

1. Please re-size the images.
2. Run those tests in non-windowed mode. You will see a more true picture. Make sure no other applications are running and gauge it using Riva-Tuner.

Top Bottom