CPU Overheating Issue (Urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
Guys I have been having heating issue since today on my cpu.
I changed my cabinet from an CM elite 360 to a CM HAF 912 today n while disassembling the pc and removing d parts from older cabinet I noticed a small capacitor lying on d floor similar to one on the motherboard. I couldn't find where it fell from or when and today when I put all the parts into the new cabinet n played Bioshock Infinite the temperature went upto 92° n idle temperature around 60 which is very high compared to earlier when I had the old cabinet. I even applied the thermal paste to just make sure that that was not the problem. Still no help. And the cooling is sufficient as I have 3 fans inside the cabinet and also my gpu temperature is 42° at full load.
Could it be cos of the capacitor? Please help me out. My cpu is a core i5 2400 and the motherboard is msi h67mae35.
Thanks in advance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
make sure the capacitor is not one of the mobo's or gfx card's ... go to your mobo/gfx card's manufacturer's website and visually inspect your mobo and gfx card comparing the product pics on the website or make use of some review sites.

coming to the heating issue did you remove the cpu cooler ? even if no the cpu cooler might got loosened somwhow .. so remove the cpu hsf, clear the old Tim from top of the cpu ( and bottom of the cooler ), use a fresh layer of good TiM on top of the cpu and remount the cpu cooler. Another thing to note is to make sure the cpu cooler fan is running at proper speed.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I think that the capacitor is from the motherboard only. Cos I can see one of the same kind and colour fitted on the motherboard. And I removed the cpu cooler after this problem and I did apply the thermal paste yesterday n booted the pc again n tried to see the temperature. There was no difference. Still getting those high temps. And how do I know if the cpu fan is running at the right speed? Which application?

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
An update : I removed the CPU Fan n cleaned it thoroughly. Removed the Thermal Paste and reapplied it. And then booted once more and went straight to bios and the cpu temp there showed 80 degree C and then kept increasing by 1 each second till it reached 98 and then became constant at 98. I Switched off my pc and removed the fan and slowly touched the processor cos if it was at 98 degree c a few seconds ago it would have burned my finger but the processor was absolutely cool. So I have a feeling the transistor was there for calculating the CPU temperature and the bios and apps are showing the wrong temp. Coz i also played Bioshock Infinite yesterday for 3 hours yesterday before noticing the temp and the PC had not shut down (which it should have had it reached that high temp).

Stop using that PC to prevent more problems. Show the motherboard to the shop of purchase and RMA it if required.

I'm not using that PC since yesterday after noticing the problem. Been using the phone to search for a solution. But i think i have caught the problem now.

I do not trust temp readings from BIOS form my past experience. You may start the pc once and immediately note the CPU and ram temperatures using HwInfo.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I do not trust temp readings from BIOS form my past experience. You may start the pc once and immediately note the CPU and ram temperatures using HwInfo.

It starts with around 60 something and goes up eventually. But the thing is my pc doesnt switch off or any such thing. SHouldnt it if the temp goes too high? Os something atleast should happen.It works absolutely fine. And btw all my components are in warranty. So thats why I'm not that worried. Also right now I played bioshock Infinite at utlra. No lag or anything. Just plays normally.

ghantaukay

Broken In

I too have noticed that the temp readings from BIOS arent too reliable. I have an Asus mobo and when I go to the BIOS to check my system I always find the CPU temp to be above 80 deg C but when I recheck using Hwinfo the temp is a cool 40 deg C.....

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I too have noticed that the temp readings from BIOS arent too reliable. I have an Asus mobo and when I go to the BIOS to check my system I always find the CPU temp to be above 80 deg C but when I recheck using Hwinfo the temp is a cool 40 deg C.....

But I have checked with hwinfo as well as some other softwares. All showing high temp.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the broken mobo capacitor my be the reason behind this but apps like Hwinfo reads cpu temp from cpu's Digital Thermal sensor .. independent of mobo so cpu's temp sensor can be also wrong .. is it possible for you to check the cpu on some other mobo ? AND which TiM you have used ? Manufacturer/Model name ?

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
the broken mobo capacitor my be the reason behind this but apps like Hwinfo reads cpu temp from cpu's Digital Thermal sensor .. independent of mobo so cpu's temp sensor can be also wrong .. is it possible for you to check the cpu on some other mobo ? AND which TiM you have used ? Manufacturer/Model name ?

Sorry for the late reply. Had fallen ill n stuff. So I have been using my PC normally as i usually do. No problems whatsoever. I'm sure the transistor was for monitoring the cpu temp in someway. :/. I'm going to go next week and get it checked by the msi people. Also planning to buy a Corsair Hydro liquid cooler.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, if possible get the mobo checked and can you tell us your budget / model for/of the corsair liquid cooler .. if possib;le invest in better air coolers .. they worth it - just my two cents.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
yeah, if possible get the mobo checked and can you tell us your budget / model for/of the corsair liquid cooler .. if possib;le invest in better air coolers .. they worth it - just my two cents.

There is no budget as such. But the cheaper the better. :p and are the liquid cooler better or air cooler? Coz my main intention is gaming (Quite heavy games) for hours. Right now what happens is that when I play the latest games on ultra after an hour or so I notice occasional lags. I feel it's cos of the cpu getting heated up. So that's the main reason behind the cooler.

bestpain

good advicer
Here is a quick solution ....just wipe out the dust from cpu fan ....capacitor has nothing to do with it..........a

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
Here is a quick solution ....just wipe out the dust from cpu fan ....capacitor has nothing to do with it..........a

I already did that. Everything. Blew d dust with a vaccum cleaner as well. Cleaned it thoroughly. No effect whatsoever.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no budget as such. But the cheaper the better. :p and are the liquid cooler better or air cooler? Coz my main intention is gaming (Quite heavy games) for hours. Right now what happens is that when I play the latest games on ultra after an hour or so I notice occasional lags. I feel it's cos of the cpu getting heated up. So that's the main reason behind the cooler.

you can get high end air coolers at the price of cheap liquid coolers and cheap liquid coolers are not always better than high end air coolers .. so if your budget is upto 5k then getting an air cooler is recommended.

Cheaper liquid coolers have higher chamber of leakage and high end liquid coolers aren't cheap. A good air cooler will keep the temperatures under limit and also provide adequate room for overclocking. Paired with a good cabinet and pleanty of case fans, your are good to go.

Cheaper liquid coolers have higher chamber of leakage and high end liquid coolers aren't cheap. A good air cooler will keep the temperatures under limit and also provide adequate room for overclocking. Paired with a good cabinet and pleanty of case fans, your are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom