CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

thunder.02dragon

Journeyman
re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

^^ Nice OC using stock cooler. What's the idle and load temp you are getting ?

Hey, that' just great - worth spending your 10 hours and 25 mins of time for this ;-)

If you get some time don't forget to post D Mark Results of that OCed beauty !
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community...our-3dmark06-3dmark-vantage-results-here.html

Thanks man!! I have target of reaching 4.5Ghz will try once..I guess I should disable the HT which might reduce the temps.

LOL
Thanks for the link will upload there too. :D:lol:

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

wish you all the best for 4.5GHz !!!

@Topgear.. the idle temp. is 20-21 Degrees.. & the load temp. is around 35-40 degrees.. The temperature of the town is pretty cold too.. around 20 Degrees maximum during day and falls to 4-5 Degrees during night..
Will be adding either Cooler Master Hyper Tx3 or Hyper 212 Plus.. any suggestions?

Hyper 212 Plus is better IMO.

[/COLOR]For some reason, the max. voltage was only 1.392 listed in the BIOS. I had used this board before with 720 BE, and it used to be around 1.5 V.. I think that this voltage thingy depends on the processor..

I don't think so - I can easily select 1.5V for 630 - actually to reach 3.7 Ghz I need that much volt.

here's the config :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/1323327-post198.html

what should be ideal temparature at load and idle for my Celeron?
1.8 Ghz overclocked to 2.4 Ghz?(repost)

^^ answered in overheating thread !

Last edited:

ajai5777

Youngling

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 3.5 Ghz
Revision : C2
FSB X Multiplier : 250 x 14
Vcore Under Load : 1.424 V
Vcore at idle : 1.39 V
Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX3
CPU NB frequency : 1.3 V
Max temp : 55C

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Do post in the format mentioned on the front page and add some cpu-z screenshots.

BTW, have you tested the OC with some cpu load test app like lynx/prime/OCCT ??

thunder.02dragon

Journeyman

The 3.5 should work like charm.. I think you can OC more..though not that much as TX3..I doubt

ajai5777

Youngling

Actually that 3.5 Ghz was not that stable as I thought.It crashed in prime after some time.Then I increased vcore and memory voltage a bit and now its stable.

Vcore : 1.44 V
memory voltage : 1.61 V
max temp : 57

how is 1.44 V for Athlon II X4 and 1.61 V for Adata value rams ? Are they safe ?

In Adata ddr3 manual, the specified voltage is 1.5V + 0.075V but its running in 1.61 V will it damage the ram ?

If I reduce memory overvoltage to 1.51V in bios, PC will crash during prime.I tried 1.55V and it still crashing after sometime but with 1.61V I can run prime for hours.

I have also one doubt.I am not overclocking memory I reduced the memory multiplier to match with OC.So its in 1066 mode but why does it need more voltage to match with the CPU OC ?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

ajai5777 said:
Hi
I have a doubt to ask.I saw your results with Athlon II X4 630 but I can barely reach 3.5 GHz.Actually I can reach 3.4 Ghz with 243 x 14 and all other settings auto.

But when I put 250 x 14 pc failed to boot then I tried to increase voltage. I had to put memory voltage 1.6v and vcore 1.44.I tried prime 95 and pc is stable in this settings but when i reduce memory voltage it crashes.

I tried 1.51,1.55 and finally 1.61.My rams are Adata and hynix generic ones 1333, their rating is 1.5v

If I run in 1.6v will it damage may rams ? Do we need performance rams those can withstand higher volts to reach heavy OC ?

First of All I'm again telling you to post a cpu-z screenshot of your CPU and memory tab

Now coming to the OC part - not every mobo or cpu will OC equally with same settings even if they are from same series. So your settings may vary.

Upto 1.65V you are safe with DDR3 RAM voltage and you are running them at 1.61V - so nothing to worry about those even the spec is 1.5V only !

If a mem module is running at lower speed then in no way it needs more volts to operate - so I think your mem speed is higher than what you have set. post a pic of cpu-z cpu memory and spd tab - it will make everything clear.

ajai5777

Youngling

@topgear
Thanks for your help

I played a little more with all these settings.I reduced memory mode to 800 then I could boot with ram overvoltage 1.51 and it is stable in prime the memory runs in 1000 mhz

*i56.tinypic.com/13yfhwh.jpg

But in 1066 mode memory runs in 1333 and that speed with in specs but it needs 1.6V to be stable

*i52.tinypic.com/10q9s9c.jpg

In 3.4 Ghz I can reduce the vcore below 1.4 and the memory voltage 1.51 and it runs near 1300 Mhz

Among the three above conditions, what would be ideal ?

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

I am glad to say that I have found out the problem of memory overvoltage.In 1066 mode my memory runs at 1333 mhz but in CL7 mode.My rams are generic 1333 CL9 thats why they need more voltage to run in CL7.I changed the Dram timings to CL9 based on SPD's.Now its working fine in 1.51V :smile:

Finally I got a 3.5 ghz stable OC.This is my first ever stable OC; in my old p4 i couldnt even get a 200Mhz OC.Also in this processor with out cooler, the temperatures were never stable.I am goin to post the full details.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 3.5 Ghz
Revision : C2
FSB X Multiplier : 250 x 14
Vcore Under Load : 1.44V
Vcore at idle status in windows : 1.42V
Vcore set in bios : 1.42V
Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Max temp in stress test : 58C
Motherboard : Biostar TA785G3 HD
Chipset : 785G
Bios Version : AMI 080015
Ram : 2 x 2 GB DDR3 1333 generic @ 1333 Mhz
Latency : 9-9-9-25-34
Volt ( set in bios ) : 1.51 V

Additional notes if any : CPU NB VID : 1.3 V, NB frequency reduced to 1.6Ghz
HT link reduced to 1.6 Ghz and DDR3 mode 1066

20 mins of prime95

*i52.tinypic.com/2ntfuwm.jpg

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ congrats ;-)

see a couple of cpu-z a screen shots can do wonder while OCing to understand everything clearly.

try running OCCT cpu load test for one hour and this should perfectly test the stability of your OC and will give you temp and volt charts under load and idle condition.

Are you using the stock HSF - what's the idle and load temp ??

ajai5777

Youngling

I have mentioned in the post that I use Cooler Master Hyper TX3.My Idle temperature is 41C and the maximum temperature in stress test is 58C.But in real life applications like gaming and encoding, it never goes beyond 52C.

ithehappy

Human Spambot

@TG, Hey buddy my stock CPU idle temperature is now 46-44-45-40°C, which was 37-34-37-32°C one month back. The ambient temperature has increased from 23° to 31°C though. My OC'ed temperature in 23°C under full stress was 67-65-63-62°C, so comparing this with idle temperature I guess it will go up to something like, 76-75-72-70°C or maybe more. It's not possible for me to keep the AC on always, so I've planned to add the extra fan to my cooler and another fan at the top of my cabby, will those fans decrease the temp? If you have any other opinions please input it.
In winter that OC'ing was great with all the temps well under 70°C, but now it's summer and that OC'ing seems too high as all the temps going beyond 70° ! So what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ adding another cpu and case fan might reduce the temp by 3-5C.

if you want to main that 3.7Ghz Oced speed in summer with temps like winter you should better think of water cooling ;-)

I have mentioned in the post that I use Cooler Master Hyper TX3.My Idle temperature is 41C and the maximum temperature in stress test is 58C.But in real life applications like gaming and encoding, it never goes beyond 52C.

overlooked that - correction made.

BTW, for a after market cooler the temp is still high enough - what's your ambient temp ?

ithehappy

Human Spambot

Okay guys I now need some help to OC my GPU. I have a Asus GTX 560, Core clock- 830 MHz. Now I wanna overclock it to 900 MHz to match the performance with the TOP card. But I need to know these,

1- What is the limit of OC of my card? I mean how far can I OC it? Say if I wanna push the Core clock to 950 MHz, is that possible?

2- If I do OC it to say 950 MHz then can I keep the Voltage as stock? or do I have to increase it?

3- If I don't change the Voltage and OC it then will the Temperature remain same or it will get increased?

4- and finally which Software should I use for OCing? Msi Afterburner, Evga Precision or else? Easy yet effective one will get the preferance.

Thanks in advance.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Then the OC you do now, will be different when SLI'ed. The GPUs behave different when connected via the connector. Try to get matching pairs of GPUs as far as you can.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Okay guys I now need some help to OC my GPU. I have a Asus GTX 560, Core clock- 830 MHz. Now I wanna overclock it to 900 MHz to match the performance with the TOP card. But I need to know these,

1- What is the limit of OC of my card? I mean how far can I OC it? Say if I wanna push the Core clock to 950 MHz, is that possible?

2- If I do OC it to say 950 MHz then can I keep the Voltage as stock? or do I have to increase it?

3- If I don't change the Voltage and OC it then will the Temperature remain same or it will get increased?

4- and finally which Software should I use for OCing? Msi Afterburner, Evga Precision or else? Easy yet effective one will get the preferance.

Thanks in advance.

1. You have to find it out ourself - start from 850 hz and Oc by 10 Mhz increment and test stability untill you find the max stable speed.

2. 950 Mhz is possible with stock volt

3. It will increase for sure.

4. I would recommend to use EVGA Precision

S_V

In the zone

@ithehappy

One thing... you are going to Void Warranty if anything bad goes while running OC .... They can easily tell that you have OC'ed ....

I strongly recommend you to run at stock for now.. Do some benchmarks and after a while do the OC.... Stock is enough for your monitor to run games pretty well...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

I strongly recommend you to run at stock for now.. Do some benchmarks and after a while do the OC.... Stock is enough for your monitor to run games pretty well...
+1

OC it after warranty expires or the card becomes obsolete.

ithehappy

Human Spambot

1. You have to find it out ourself - start from 850 hz and Oc by 10 Mhz increment and test stability untill you find the max stable speed.

2. 950 Mhz is possible with stock volt

3. It will increase for sure.

4. I would recommend to use EVGA Precision
Thanks. But I was searching elsewhere that if you don't change the Voltage then Temperature will remain same!

@ithehappy

One thing... you are going to Void Warranty if anything bad goes while running OC .... They can easily tell that you have OC'ed ....

Thanks for your advice.
+1

OC it after warranty expires or the card becomes obsolete.
To you too.:)

Top Bottom