CPU & Motherboard Price List

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^They usually accept such requests but the issue this time is reports of bios not working/failure on certain mobo models(especially those of MSI reported) so not sure if they will do it this time or may be they will with condition that it will be buyer's responsibility if anything goes wrong(aka buyer will have to take the mobo to service centre in case of bios issue/failure).

quicky008

Technomancer
that's really disquieting to hear-does amd plan on releasing any low cost chipsets(aka b450) that's guaranteed to work with the zen2 platform natively anytime soon?

If not,what options do the average customers have(ie the ones who can't afford motherboards priced above 10k)?

how long does one need to wait before older chipset based mobos with updated bioses start becoming available in the market so that the users don't have to update them manually before installing a 3rd gen cpu?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
B550 boards are expected but nothing official so most likely not in this year. What can be expected though is bios improvements making current B450 mobos work smoothly with ryzen 3xxx series which should take at least 1-2 months. As for older bios with updated bios that will take much longer as old stock needed to be cleared first(based on past experience of ryzen 2xxx series & B350 mobos expect nothing less than 5-6 months before expecting updated bios out of box that too on certain models from certain manufacturers but that is not much of an issue because mdcomputers/vedant etc will update bios(assuming stable enough for ryzen 3xxx) on request).

kaz

right here
The 3rd gen ryzen cpus are now out, but what about the availability of compatible motherboards?

The existing budget mobos based on b450 chipsets probably won't work out of the box with the new cpus without a bios update. Only x570 motherboards are supposed to work, but they seem to be really expensive right now.

Will sellers like mdcomputers.in /vedant update the bios of the older motherboards at the customer's request to ensure that they work with the 3rd gen cpus without any issues?

Most of the MSI motherboards support bios flashing using a USB drive. I'm getting an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC next week. BTW I'm buying offline so I'll be testing it at the store to make sure 3rd Gen CPU boots up :)

Performance wise you won't see any difference using a B450 motherboard:
*static.techspot.com/articles-info/1869/bench/Chipset_CB_Single.png

*static.techspot.com/articles-info/1869/bench/Chipset_CB_Multi.png

*static.techspot.com/articles-info/1869/bench/Chipset_WWZ.png

Warning: Don't flash beta BIOS without checking reviews on forum. Some people have reportedly killed their 3000 cpu by overclocking it using beta bios.

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
Even if it does post, there maybe other issues like glitchy bios interfaces, improper detection of certain types of memory and so on(from what i read at the msi forum recently) - so be sure to check it thoroughly to avoid any potential problems later on.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I doubt the new A and B series mobos would be cheaper. They would have to forego PCIe 4.0 to be cheaper. The X570 mobos come with a fan to cool the chipset.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
What about i3 - 9100F ? Entry level CPU without Integrated gpu. Performance for price seems good. Better than 2200g apparently.
Rs 7800 @ .primeabgb.com . Rs 7700 @ *mdcomputers.in/intel-core-i3-9100f-bx80684i39100f.html
Some comparisons : PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End AND GTX 1650 with i3-9100F benchmarks at High Quality settings - GPUCheck United States / USA .
Can't find comprehensive reviews though

quicky008

Technomancer
The non availability of suitable mobos is a major bummer of the zen 2 launch-people on a budget who have been waiting patiently for these cpus to become available will now have to postpone their purchase as long as cheaper zen2 compatible boards don't show up in the market.

Is i5 9400f a good alternative to ryzen 3600 when it comes to gaming ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about i3 - 9100F ? Entry level CPU without Integrated gpu. Performance for price seems good. Better than 2200g apparently.
Rs 7800 @ .primeabgb.com . Rs 7700 @ *mdcomputers.in/intel-core-i3-9100f-bx80684i39100f.html
Some comparisons : PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End AND GTX 1650 with i3-9100F benchmarks at High Quality settings - GPUCheck United States / USA .
Can't find comprehensive reviews though
Issue is life of platform.3 years is the standard mobo warranty after which if any issue comes up then most likely one will have to buy used/generic/downgraded replacement mobo.

The non availability of suitable mobos is a major bummer of the zen 2 launch-people on a budget who have been waiting patiently for these cpus to become available will now have to postpone their purchase as long as cheaper zen2 compatible boards don't show up in the market.

Is i5 9400f a good alternative to ryzen 3600 when it comes to gaming ?
i5 9400f is a good option for gaming but see above.One can also wait 1-2 months for improved bios compatibility of b450 mobos with ryzen 3xxx processors.

quicky008

Technomancer
yes,judging by the impressive performance of the 3600,buying anything else seems like a waste right now.

the biggest issue with intel is the scarcity of compatible motherboards 3-4 years after the launch of the processor,as you have aptly pointed out.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
@whitestar_999 good point. Plus intel's 10 gen are about to launch I think. Plus the 3200g will probably beat 9100u. Will be clear when reviews are out
Edit: some bench suggest 9100F is better than 3200g as well

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Issue is life of platform.3 years is the standard mobo warranty after which if any issue comes up then most likely one will have to buy used/generic/downgraded replacement mobo.

AMD removed backwards compatibility.
*cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/TEfrPb6VgCoEhyEudW42BL.jpg

First gen Ryzen CPUs aren't compatibile with X570 mobos. It was too good to be true anyways especially when Intel with it's huge R&D budget couldn't do it.

TheSloth

The Slowest One

First gen Ryzen CPUs aren't compatibile with X570 mobos. It was too good to be true anyways especially when Intel with it's huge R&D budget couldn't do it.
Quite sure they don't want to do it

Most of the MSI motherboards support bios flashing using a USB drive. I'm getting an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC next week. BTW I'm buying offline so I'll be testing it at the store to make sure 3rd Gen CPU boots up :)

Performance wise you won't see any difference using a B450 motherboard:

Warning: Don't flash beta BIOS without checking reviews on forum. Some people have reportedly killed their 3000 cpu by overclocking it using beta bios.

Still its risky as people on Reddit complaining about the boost performance of newer chips on B450 boards after updating their BIOS. It is even affecting the performance of 2xxx series.
A 'please be aware' regarding potential BIOS/AGESA issues on Zen 2, casuing erratic 'boost' behaviour. : buildapc

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is still better than Intel.e.g.Ryzen 1200 is still available along with many 320/350 series mobo options & it even works with B450 mobos.Going by this logic,current X570 mobo+ryzen 3xxx processor combo should be fine for at least 3-4 years for any upgrade of processor/mobo.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
It is still better than Intel.e.g.Ryzen 1200 is still available along with many 320/350 series mobo options & it even works with B450 mobos.Going by this logic,current X570 mobo+ryzen 3xxx processor combo should be fine for at least 3-4 years for any upgrade of processor/mobo.

You are saying as if Intel's compatibility only lasts one generation. Intel's compatibility has always been for 2 generations same as AMD. AMD's advantage is that it supports a new CPU on old mobo which only enthusiasts require. We would need to get rid of our old mobo before it dies :D

The thing I don't get is how is backwards compatibilty harder than forwards compatibility :facepalm:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
We would need to get rid of our old mobo before it dies
Yes,& that's why I think amd is better.e.g.just a few months back one could still get a socket AM3+ mobo(from 1 of major 3 manufacturers) with 4 ram slots+6 sata ports etc while good luck finding similar mobo for 4th/6th gen Intel(excl chinese oem & zebronics etc). I think Intel has some restrictions on how much quantity of older gen mobos is a company allowed to manufacture.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@whitestar_999 good point. Plus intel's 10 gen are about to launch I think. Plus the 3200g will probably beat 9100u. Will be clear when reviews are out
Edit: some bench suggest 9100u is better than 3200g as well
Why compare mobile chip with desktop?
9100 desktop processor will be obviously better than 3200G on CPU front, but sure beat in iGPU. It's not a 7nm chip, it's a 12nm chip - Zen+

quicky008

Technomancer
Intel's 10th gen i5 cpus allegedly feature 6 cores and 12 threads - this sounds really good. But will these chips be backward compatible with existing 8th/9th gen motherboards?

Are they expected to launch them this year or the next?

Top Bottom