CPU cooler required

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Brilliant ! I was unable to find it ( on med shops or anywhere else ) hence using a lint free cotton cloth but now I'll get it from a mobile repair shop.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
WTF, Use isoproply only. You can get it from nearby shops where mobile phones of computer's are repaired. One bottle costs 80 here, so I got a small bottle (of nailpolish remover) of isopropyl alcohol from a nearby mobile repair shop.

ahm.. and what is the problem exactly with using water?

can i use ether to to remove old thermal paste?

are you using it to remove thermal paste from the cpu / cooler? LOL

then definitely alcohol swabs, they are the best.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
WTF, Use isoproply only. You can get it from nearby shops where mobile phones of computer's are repaired. One bottle costs 80 here, so I got a small bottle (of nailpolish remover) of isopropyl alcohol from a nearby mobile repair shop.

What do I ask for ?
Will just the normal nail polish remover work ? This is the easiest to procure. :D

^^ Brilliant ! I was unable to find it ( on med shops or anywhere else ) hence using a lint free cotton cloth but now I'll get it from a mobile repair shop.

Same here. Used a cotton cloth to rub out the tim from the surfaces. Tested my patience. :rolleyes:

What do I ask for ?

Ask them for "mobile ke circuit saaf karne vaalaa liquid". they may hesitate first in giving you that as them may think you too are from some mobile shop, but be kind and the heaven may flourish with the fruits of kindness :p

Will just the normal nail polish remover work ? This is the easiest to procure. :D

Nail polish remover is acetone, which is harsh solvent. It may slightly damage component it falls on. Isopropyl alcohol (or isopropanol) is much gentel on surfaces and is ideal for cleaning electronics.

Same here. Used a cotton cloth to rub out the tim from the surfaces. Tested my patience. :rolleyes:

You can use cotton cloth, lint free cloth (the cloth used for cleaning spectacles is ideal for the purpose), of cotton swab (cotton ear buds), but do not use cotton balls as they leave a lot of micro fibers oon the surface which may lower TIM's heat transferring capacity and may make curing time longer (Arctic Silver 5 already has 200 hrs as curing time).

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Ask them for "mobile ke circuit saaf karne vaalaa liquid". they may hesitate first in giving you that as them may think you too are from some mobile shop, but be kind and the heaven may flourish with the fruits of kindness :p

Nail polish remover is acetone, which is harsh solvent. It may slightly damage component it falls on. Isopropyl alcohol (or isopropanol) is much gentel on surfaces and is ideal for cleaning electronics.

You can use cotton cloth, lint free cloth (the cloth used for cleaning spectacles is ideal for the purpose), of cotton swab (cotton ear buds), but do not use cotton balls as they leave a lot of micro fibers oon the surface which may lower TIM's heat transferring capacity and may make curing time longer (Arctic Silver 5 already has 200 hrs as curing time).

Good info.

Good info.

Read this EPIC test of thermal pastes: 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests

These guys took an industrial cold storage room on rent for 7-8 months just to keep ambient temperature same for all tests!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read this EPIC test of thermal pastes: 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests

These guys took an industrial cold storage room on rent for 7-8 months just to keep ambient temperature same for all tests!

Thanks for the link ;-) I'm using CM TF 400 which is on excellent category .. lol ...

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
I am getting lots of negetive feedback on bitfang
AS Noctua as well as Corsair Air series is not available in the local market here I like to go for alternative options

Please suggest some alternative coolers

How's Deepcool frostwin, CM TPC 812?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Corsair Air Series A70 Dual-Fan CPU Cooler

For Rs 4400 (including shipping) the TPC is a bit overpriced but a good cooler no doubt. Deepcools are middle of the road coolers (read conservative,neither here nor there),give it a miss, for less a Hyper 212 Evo is more a sane choice.I would still maintain get the A70 with PWM fans or a cheap fan controller.

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
As noctua was not available went with 212 evo, but I am unable to find another xtraflo(local, online nowhere)
should i wait or go for something else?

CPU temp went down after installing the cooler by 4-5 C (idle). didn't test load yet.
But surprisingly motherboard temp went up by 2-3 C, don't understand why.

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
because I didn't want to go for liquid cooling, I would definitely go for Corsair liquid if I were in US.
By the way I already bought 212 EVO!!

As noctua was not available went with 212 evo, but I am unable to find another xtraflo(local, online nowhere)

CPU temp went down after installing the cooler by 4-5 C (idle). didn't test load yet.

Finally did the load test. Temp hovering around 60 C. That's awesome!!
But sudden increase in MB temp making me worried.

Myth

Cyborg Agent

Black non-led Xtraflo <- matches the one present on the Evo

Blue led Xtraflo

Top Bottom