CPU Cooler for a new build

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hello Guys,

I have recently built a new system which is having i5 6600 (not K) with the stock intel cooler for now. I am thinking to upgrade the cooler as summers is on the way now.
I checked amazon.in and could shortlist two coolers

1. CM hyper 212 @ Rs. 2700 (4 cu pipe air cooler)
2. CM Sedion 120V Plus @ Rs. 5100 (liquid cooler)

My question is, would it be worth spending extra for the liquid cooler? I am not going to overclock, ever, and my room has an AC.
Also, if you have any other good option in mind, please share.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If you are not overclocking I mean to overclock a non K Skylake you need a Z170 Mobo.

Even then air coolers are always best keeping in mind leakage from AIOs.

Cooler Master Hyper 212X @ 3k

Sent from my Lenovo K6 Power using Tapatalk

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
yeah, checked more and looks like 212 would be the best choice for me. Ordering it now, thanks!

About overclocking: does it mean that i cant overclock "at all"? I have Gigabyte H170 gaming 3 mobo and its BIOS shows a lot of overclocking stuff (i never checked thoroughly though). I know Z is for overclocking and H is for locked processors, but i thought some overclocking is still possible in non k/H series hardware.
Anyways, I dont care about it as i am not going to do it anyways, but just want to know for my knowledge.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Go through this :
The Problem With Overclocking On Non-Z170 Chipset

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Guys,

I have recently built a new system which is having i5 6600 (not K) with the stock intel cooler for now. I am thinking to upgrade the cooler as summers is on the way now.
I checked amazon.in and could shortlist two coolers

1. CM hyper 212 @ Rs. 2700 (4 cu pipe air cooler)
2. CM Sedion 120V Plus @ Rs. 5100 (liquid cooler)

My question is, would it be worth spending extra for the liquid cooler? I am not going to overclock, ever, and my room has an AC.
Also, if you have any other good option in mind, please share.

Look for Antec A40 / A40 pro on Amazon.in around ~2k.

wilfred316

Broken In
If you are not overclocking I mean to overclock a non K Skylake you need a Z170 Mobo.

Even then air coolers are always best keeping in mind leakage from AIOs.

Cooler Master Hyper 212X @ 3k

Sent from my Lenovo K6 Power using Tapatalk

Hi Sunil,

For a i5 6500 Processor also do you recommend Cooler Master Hyper 212X @ 3k ?

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hi [MENTION=324537]wilfred316[/MENTION],

Are you experiencing very high CPU temperatures?
I was going to buy the 212 air cooler, then came around its review on Tech deals channel on youtube:

Hyper 212 EVO - 120mm CPU Cooler - Should you buy it? - YouTub

Its a new channel (and so less subscribers) but the guy is just amazing! he is being praised a lot for his honest, unbiased and unambiguous reviews and no doubt he will get into the eye of masses very soon.

His point in the video is: if you are using any of the non "K" processors and not overclocking, you do not need 3rd party cooler, the stock intel cooler should do just fine. Currently my processor do not go beyond 60c even after hours of high end gaming. I'll personally wait for summer to check if I really need it.

Top Bottom