Core i9 is the new 32nm Gulftown moniker

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AuDioFreaK39

Core i9 is the new 32nm Gulftown moniker

*img39.imageshack.us/img39/7177/intellogonew.gif

No integrated graphics for enthusiasts

Several partners and sources close to Intel have recently been known to address the upcoming 32nm Gulftown 6-core monster as Intel Core i9. This doesn’t come as much of a surprise, considering that the company is structuring its Core lineup to feature odd numbers, beginning with its dual-core lineup also known as Core i3.

As we’ve mentioned several times before, the 32nm Gulftown 6-core (or hexa-core) chip will launch in Q1 2010 as the first chip in the Westmere family, the successor to Nehalem. Intel Core i9 will appeal to a highly enthusiast market niche, as it is based solely on socket LGA 1366 and retains compatibility with the X58 chipset which isn’t going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

From a clearly analytical perspective, Core i9 Gulftown can be viewed as Core i7 + 2, with six physical cores, a total thread count of 12 and a 50 percent L3 cache increase over Core i7 Bloomfield. We should also remind enthusiasts that Gulftown will not include an IGP core alongside the 32nm CPU, so nothing changes on the graphics front.

Source

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
WoW! what's going on these days.

Core i7 -- Core i5 -- & now core -- i9 & core i3

Eager to see core i1 ( as celeron replacement ) & core i11 ( as the future of procs )

BTW, TFS :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
6 core in less than a year is going to be a biiiiiig mistake. Nothing is really optmized yet for a quad core. a six core is totally unnecessary and I think Intel is doing it just for pride!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yeah. but isn't Xeon workstation meant for that same purpose? I mean there are already six core Xeon processors for workstations and servers.

utsav

damn busy...
6 core in less than a year is going to be a biiiiiig mistake. Nothing is really optmized yet for a quad core. a six core is totally unnecessary and I think Intel is doing it just for pride!

whatever but AMD is getting pwned again and again coz intel has caught up speed in developing higher performance processors so they are leading continously for 3 years now, though price of these intel proccies are too much for the performance they offer and i can easily expect these Core i9 range to be in the 1299$ price range .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@utsav, not exactly. AMD will keep the budget and mid rangecrown (even after core i5 and i3). Main reason being the power of their onboard chipsets and VFM motherboards, for which Intel has no answer.

When you are getting AMD mobo+processor for the price of Intel mobo, the extra amount that you need to pay for Intel processor can be put in GPU or HDD or any other component making the rig much much faster overall.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
@ desiibond

Yes u r 101% right

Corei7 920 starting price 17500/- launch December 2008

Corei5 starting price approx 13K - 15K launch TBA 2009

Corei3 approx price 9K to 14k launch TBA 2009

Corei9 approx (whom knows) may be more than 20K

what INTELS thinking is really gr8 marketing master mind

quan chi

mortal kombat
well as far as i have read.wasnt this news declared months back no specific date was mentioned at that time for its launch. though it was a small news.but i think this hexacore is made by intel india.there was a small article on it months back in chip.

hobooor

Right off the assembly line
most of their updates have just been for the corporate sector and not for the mainstream. technically the mainstream is still on the C2D, so we really haven't seen much of an update for the past few years other than a die shrink.

amitash

Intel OCer
Corei9 approx (whom knows) may be more than 20K

cant really say yet...everyone expected the cheapest core i7 to be 25k+ because of the perf it gave...cant say till it comes out...and i like the x58 support part....makes the expensive motherboards future proof...150$ for 2 years and the other 150 for the other 2 years.

OP
A

AuDioFreaK39

Well, the 32nm Gulftown 6-core chip is only going to be an "Extreme Edition" model, so you can bet it will be pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom