Copying Speed is too slow

hey digitians ..

here is my pc. specs.

Intel Core i7 3770k -
Intel Original DH77EB
G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 16 GB(F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL)
ATI Firepro v5800
WD 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD (64 MB Cache)
LG 24X Sata Black DVD -
Corsair TX850M -
NZXT Phantom
Dell Ultrasharp 23"
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
APC 600 va
Logitech g300 gaming mouse
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Wireless Keyboard (Black)
Razer galiathus alpha L

I am getting a very low copying speed while transferring data to any external device. it varies in between 6-8 MBps.
I am really screwed here, my friends with i3 processors are getting twice more than me.
and if I copy data from internal partitions I'm getting ~52-54 MBps.

First I thought it is an OS problem, but guys everything else is working fine, I can not reinstall my OS, have bunch of softwares and plug ins, which I dont even remember.

I tried using 3rd party copying softwares like supercopier and terracopy .. but not much help. I'd like to use the default copier.

Any help ? :cry:

Gollum

Collector
check speed of external device on another unit
.if it works fine on another unit then reinstall your USB root hubs.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
transfer speeds depends on the external devices you are connecting.i get ~5mbps on my 2 year old kingston 8gb pen drive.as for copying between internal partitions you are getting exactly the speed you are supposed to get.copying between internal partitions on same hard disk is always slower because in this case hard disk has to do twice the work(reading from one place & writing on another place all in the same hard disk).only way to get more transfer speeds is by using faster external drives(usb 3.0) & ssd in place of hdd or better don't transfer files frequently within partitions on same hard disk(what's the point anyway?transferring large amount of data is supposed to be done from 1 hard disk to another).

...I am getting a very low copying speed while transferring data to any external device. it varies in between 6-8 MBps.
I am really screwed here, my friends with i3 processors are getting twice more than me.
and if I copy data from internal partitions I'm getting ~52-54 MBps...

:facepalm: copy speed is not dependent on processor.

OP
M

martin.stallone

Broken In
May be you should consider defragmenting your drives.

How to do that ?

check speed of external device on another unit
.if it works fine on another unit then reinstall your USB root hubs.

yes, its working fine on another units, could you please be more specific about how to do that ? :p

transfer speeds depends on the external devices you are connecting.i get ~5mbps on my 2 year old kingston 8gb pen drive.as for copying between internal partitions you are getting exactly the speed you are supposed to get.copying between internal partitions on same hard disk is always slower because in this case hard disk has to do twice the work(reading from one place & writing on another place all in the same hard disk).only way to get more transfer speeds is by using faster external drives(usb 3.0) & ssd in place of hdd or better don't transfer files frequently within partitions on same hard disk(what's the point anyway?transferring large amount of data is supposed to be done from 1 hard disk to another).

Thanks for the knowledge :) . but my all pen drives are new and external HDD also but its USB 2.0

No, I didn't.

:facepalm: copy speed is not dependent on processor.

lol, I understand your face palm... but I just threw this out in case somebody wants to know :p

+1
once install 'your uninstaller' and or 'ccleaner' and clean the pc

alright, I'll give it a try.

FYI. my all drives are nearly full and I dont have anything to uninstall. I deleted my 300GB movies collection months back, but now I can't find anything to delete .

:(

have you used teracopy software and uninstalled it ?

No, I didn't

root.king

geek in action
my all drives are nearly full and I dont have anything to uninstall.
at 1st defrag the drives then using ccleaner or your uninstaller clean the pc from temp cache cookies and also browser history and also there is an option in your uninstaller that remove unwanted registry keys try that ,

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
btw using usb2.0 max you will get is ~35-40MB/s assuming your external drive is 2.5"/laptop drive/without power adapter.as for pen drive just because it is new doesn't mean it is faster.most commonly available usb2.0 pen drives will not give you more than 8MB/s average write speed.also if your hard disk is nearly full then speeds will be a bit slower too.

OP
M

martin.stallone

Broken In
Assuming you're on Windows 7 - Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. Select the drive Click defragment now.

Open device manager from control panel. Under USB controllers, right click each hub and select uninstall.

1. How much time it'd take to defragment my 1 TB internal HDD ?

2. How to install drivers again ??? :D

at 1st defrag the drives then using ccleaner or your uninstaller clean the pc from temp cache cookies and also browser history and also there is an option in your uninstaller that remove unwanted registry keys try that ,

alright ;)

btw using usb2.0 max you will get is ~35-40MB/s assuming your external drive is 2.5"/laptop drive/without power adapter.as for pen drive just because it is new doesn't mean it is faster.most commonly available usb2.0 pen drives will not give you more than 8MB/s average write speed.also if your hard disk is nearly full then speeds will be a bit slower too.

Noted ;) , but for pen drive, I saw the speed of 16 MBps on his laptop and my old laptop too. :-?

OP
M

martin.stallone

Broken In
I uninstalled all the drivers of USB, used ccleaner and used your uninstaller too.. and now I am facing some new annoying problems:

When I uninstalled the USB drivers, my wireless keyboard got disconnected and I lost control over my pc ! :D somehow I restarted it. so Now its fine.

1). Now the main thing is I used to make a wifi hotspot from my pc and use internet in my mobile. But now after reinstalling drivers the "share internet" option is not coming whenever I make a new hotspot. I tried uninstalling the drivers of the wifi dongle , restarting my system and all .. but all in vain. I installed dongle's default software it is creating a hotspot but not sharing the internet, there is not option of it.

2). My PC stopped recognizing my external HDD .. :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? plugged it in all the USB slots, connecting sound comes but nothing happens after that.

3). Copying speed went down to 6 MBps. !

Please help.

OP
M

martin.stallone

Broken In
I cant really say...
I tried to uninstall all the drivers listed under Universal Serial Bus Controller, I dont know what went wrong and i lost control on my wireless keyboard and wired mouse. I dont remember exactly what did i uninstall ? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? .

ankitjain1116

Broken In
I cant really say...
I tried to uninstall all the drivers listed under Universal Serial Bus Controller, I dont know what went wrong and i lost control on my wireless keyboard and wired mouse. I dont remember exactly what did i uninstall ? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? .

@ martin.stallone Go to Device manager by right clicking the computer and see if there is yellow icon with this ! sign....It shows the driver are missing

Last edited:
I cant really say...

:facepalm: that's the USB controller. Reinstall the chipset drivers.

OP
M

martin.stallone

Broken In
@ martin.stallone Go to Device manager by right clicking the computer and see if there is yellow icon with this ! sign....It shows the driver are missing

yes, there is one..

@harshilsharma63

Yes, I reinstalled it.. It got installed within a milisecond .. I dont know why ?

Still my pc cant detects my external HDD, I connected to my laptop to confirm that if HDD is having some problems ? but its working fine in other devices ... now I am facing some more problems .. mouse sometimes automatically gets disconnected and connected again in few seconds.

:cry:

*oi41.tinypic.com/10ykqhh.jpg

gameranand

Living to Play
Noted ;) , but for pen drive, I saw the speed of 16 MBps on his laptop and my old laptop too. :-?

Many times for some weird reasons the speed displayed is not the actual speed. It might show 16MB on your friend but at last file it will take a lot of time and will complete in duration taken for 8 MBps.

Top Bottom