Copying from one HDD to Another

stellar

Journeyman
I have a 40Gigs HDD, with my Win 7 install on it. I also have a 360Gigs HDD divided into 4 partitions of 83.8 GBs each. Now the thing is, I want to retire my 40GB and add a new 1TB. But I don't want to do a re-install of the Win 7, it's smooth and has lots of software, whose setups can be a PITA for me. So is there anyway I can transfer the 40GB worth of data to one of my 83GB partitions and then do some boot manager thingy to get my Win 7 to boot from the 360 gigs and leave the 40gigs alone?

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
You need a bootable win7 disk for this. Boot pc from the disk and use the command prompt facility of the win7 installer to make a copy of all the files and folders in the 40gb hdd into any of the 83gb partition. You dont have to start the win7 installation. Prior to that you must have at least some knowledge of command prompt.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
use any of these :

Backup software for data backup and recovery | Acronis

EaseUS Partition Master Professional Edition: Magic Partition Manager for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)/Windows 8.

v4m_vendor

Right off the assembly line
I use Easeus Todo Backup Free (supports upto 2 TB). You can create image of your old hdd partition and burn the same on new hdd using Easeus Startup disk (you need create startup disk). Very simple... and Great backup software.

Same can be downloaded from
*download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;2

Good backup utilities that combine maximum user friendliness with excellent functionality and some helpful extras take the chore out of an essential duty. When all that comes for free, the excuse to blow off backups wears thin. Easeus Todo Backup is just such a free backup and restore utility. Like any good backup tool, it will back up your entire system's current state, data, settings and all, or just what you want it to, including partitions or full disks, and restore your computer in the event of a hard-disk crash or other calamity. Its Disk Cloning feature will help you migrate your operating system and data to a new hard disk when it's time to replace the old one. You can also use it to create bootable CD-ROMs using either Linux or the powerful Windows Pre-installation Environment (PE), which is a big improvement over MS-DOS.

Two things set Todo Backup apart from many other backup utilities (three things, if you count that it's free): its easy-to-use interface and its wizard-based operation. Colorful, large, clearly labeled buttons and icons make it easy for even new computer owners to use, a big plus because they need protection the most yet are usually inexperienced at securing it. The program walks users through its operations and explains each step with detailed instructions, augmented by a good Help file for further assistance.

Todo Backup is freeware and is certified for Windows 7. It downloads as a compressed file but extracts, installs, and opens without fuss.

From Chengdu Yiwo Tech Development:

EaseUS Todo Backup Free, as the world's first all-in-one backup & system disaster recovery software, is hard disk image, file backup, disaster recovery and disk clone freeware for home users to full protect system and data in case of accident file deletion, virus attack, and hardware failure. What's more, there is no need for rebooting system after program installed.

New Highlights of EaseUS Todo Backup Free: System Backup and Recovery, including the OS and installed applications. File and folder backup and recovery. Differential/Incremental Backup to save time and disk space. Backup Schedule for automatic system & data backup. Automatically delete/overwrite old images. Backup options: image split, image compression, set priority, set password, e-mail notification. Clone or transfer hard disk to another. Explore Image files.

What's new in this version: Version 5.0

•Backup of all your email messages in Outlook so you can access them when you accidentally delete email
•Improved to support mass storage devices with capacity 2 TB+
•Specify one file type to backup in file folders, avoiding monotonous and boring manual efforts
•Libraries backup/restore supported
•Brand-new interface for easy recovery process to save time and avoid troubles

Top Bottom