Copying a damaged CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushkar1986

Broken In
why damage ur rom lense??instead go to local video liabrary & get copy on rent.i think u will spent 30-40 rs on renting cd instead of 500rs on lense...

OP
n2casey

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
@ shaunak

OK. I agree with u but will u plz tell me that if I make 100 or more copies from single original CD & then destroy the original, then these copies r legal or illegal? Acc. to u, these r legal coz I have used cut>paste method (since source of copies has been destroyed).

@ pushkar1986

I know that but don't u think that original one gives u satisfaction.
More satisfaction when it's urs.
Much more satisfaction & joy, if u have worked hard for it.
Satisfaction & achievement, if u have recovered/repaired it.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
n2casey said:
@ shaunak

OK. I agree with u but will u plz tell me that if I make 100 or more copies from single original CD & then destroy the original, then these copies r legal or illegal? Acc. to u, these r legal coz I have used cut>paste method (since source of copies has been destroyed).

Its not the destruction of source but the existence of only single working copy dude, If u make 1 copy and ur original becomes unusable u still have to retain the unworking original to prove that u bought the original..

And the moment you make more than 1 copy ( Working Original and a Backup) your second copy is in violation of law.

pushkar1986

Broken In
@ pushkar1986

I know that but don't u think that original one gives u satisfaction.
More satisfaction when it's urs.
Much more satisfaction & joy, if u have worked hard for it.
Satisfaction & achievement, if u have recovered/repaired it.[/QUOTE]

u can rent a cd & make copies of it...u will get same satisfaction..movie will not change..trust me

ashish_c_83

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I read in the Bombay Times some weeks before, there was this article about recovering scratched cds by filling up the scratches with substances like a Hair Gel. Personally, it did not work for me though. You can give it a try and let the others know if that works.

Ashish Chopra.

sree_shan

Broken In
@ Recover a damaged CD - Index

This is an article about recovering data of damaged CD's. You should be aware that we can't guarantee that these solutions will help, and that some solutions might even make it worse.

First make sure the surface is clean

First of all, if the CD is unreadable because of some fingerprints or some dust, then use a soft piece of cloth and rub from the inside to the outside of the CD.

If cleaning the CD with a piece of cloth doesn't fix the problem you have two choices, try to restore the data with software or you will have to physically restore the surface of the CD. Both have no guarantee to success, but it's worth to try. Since you have a worthless CD, there's nothing to lose !

Software solutions:

You first might want to try the software on CD-prod.com ( *www.cdrom-prod.com/ ) . They have to products that, as they say, are able to recover data from CD's.

CD-R Diagnostic allows you to test, examine and recover data from CD, CD-R and CD-RW discs. This includes support for discs written using Adaptec DirectCD and CeQuadrat PacketCD as well as other packet-writing programs.

It bypasses Windows and other CD software installed on your computer to allow complete freedom to examine nearly any CD, including Macintosh and audio discs.

Or their other product may be even better:

CD-R Inspector is similar to CD-R Diagnostic, but has additional features for data recovery companies and computer forensic applications. It allows searching the contents of a disc in several ways to identify various hidden content and supports saving the information from a disc that has been examined so the lengthy processing does not have to be repeated each time.

If you have used CD-R Diagnostic and wished for some additional capabilities, this may be what you are looking for.

Another piece of software that has been recommended to us by a CD recovery company is Isobuster ( *www.ping.be/vcd/isobuster.htm ) That is the program. It runs under Windows so it bypasses some of the Windows limitations.

Also the software from Naltech ( *www.naltech.com/ ) could help. They developed a program called CD Data Rescue which is able to recover some data, IF you are lucky.

Also CDRecovery ( *www.cdrecovery.com/ ) and CD Dataguys ( *www.cddataguys.com/ ) might be places where they can offer you help. (CD dataguys say to have a success rate that is slightly above 90%)

Physical changes to make a CD readable again

You won't believe this, but the cheapest way is using toothpaste. The best toothpaste to make your CD readable again is the toothpaste to make your teeth brighter, cause this scrubs better. You should be able to buy this in your local drugstore. You will have to rub with some cloth from the inside to the outside of the CD, in the opposite direction of the read direction of the CD.

If you have a really deep and big scratch, then you could use polish that is used by opticains on glasses. You should go to your optician for more information about this substance.

Some more recovery tips:

- Always try to do the recovery with a CD writer instead of just a reader. The writers can see the tracks better.
- Also, sometimes it is best to use the same machine "or writer manufacturer" that wrote the data in the first place, when doing a recovery. For instance, if a Plextor did the writing, use a Plextor for the recovery work. This is especially true with HP models.

This article was Posted by Jan Willem on 16 March 2001 ......

i hope that this will help u in recovering data 4m damaged CD's....

:) :) :)

ANURAG SHARMA

Journeyman
or u guy can do either like that

Just connect your DVD to ur comp thru TV tuner (or from ur frd) and open its Rec soft on PC and record it all.
This method will recover ur all playable part,
I used it for even half broken CDs as it is played on DVDs. Reply u dude.

OP
n2casey

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
^^

U r absolutely right friend. I have tried this, yesterday & recovered the complete CD. The only prob is, some scratchs on recorded movie but it's obvious & they can't b removed.
Well, thx for ur reply.
Still a question remaining, if DVD Player can play scratched/broken(not completely) CDs then why don't with computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom