converting 1920 x 800 to 1920 x 1080?

clmlbx

Technomancer
It is no way going better.. you can't go low to high..

But if source bit-rate is good then it might be watchable..

only convert if it has good bit-rate..

reniarahim1

Youngling
normally it will cut the video from sides to scale it to 16:9 format. definitely there will be a loss in quality.

clmlbx

Technomancer
of course if you want to watch it in your comp then just change A.R to 16:9 and it will do all .

Possible on both KMPC and VLC

of course if you want to watch it in your comp then just change A.R to 16:9 and it will do all .

Possible on both KMPC and VLC

gameranand

Living to Play
Well in that case just upscale the video or let it be as it is. I guess it doesn't look that bad on your TV as of now. :)

gameranand

Living to Play
Then you should just upscale it. No other options, although some TVs have option to deal with those bars also. If your TV also have that then its all well and good otherwise just upscale the video and be happy. :)

mitraark

Decrepit
If the resolution is 1920x800 then the director meant the video to be watched at those aspect ratio, upscaling will result in loss of quality aswell as ruin the aspect ration, elongating every object in the video.

You can experiment around, it's not like you'll lose the original video.

clmlbx

Technomancer
If the resolution is 1920x800 then the director meant the video to be watched at those aspect ratio, upscaling will result in loss of quality aswell as ruin the aspect ration, elongating every object in the video.

You can experiment around, it's not like you'll lose the original video.

It is most probably the rip version ..which OP got from ahem source

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i guess majority of people are still not clear about difference between full HD(1920*1080) resolution & standard cinema aspect ratio(2.35:1).even if you buy original blu-ray of the movie you will still see those 2 black bars above & below on your full HD TV/monitor for the simple reason that 16:9 is not the ratio in which most movies are made/shoot & as long as cinema screens remains 2:35:1 the situation will remain so for years to come.

doomgiver

Warframe
wait, WHAT?

upsacling from 1920x800 to 1920x1080 will just "stretch" the picture vertically.

or am i missing something here?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
i guess majority of people are still not clear about difference between full HD(1920*1080) resolution & standard cinema aspect ratio(2.35:1).even if you buy original blu-ray of the movie you will still see those 2 black bars above & below on your full HD TV/monitor for the simple reason that 16:9 is not the ratio in which most movies are made/shoot & as long as cinema screens remains 2:35:1 the situation will remain so for years to come.

:+1:

If you are bugged by two horizontal lines, just buy a true HD monitor. If you already have a true HD monitor, buy genuine DVD's which have the same true HD resolution.
Simple example to illustrate the problem:
You can't fit a rectangle in a square, or a square into a rectangle. As long as ratio between length to width is not same, you will going to witness bars, either horizontally or vertically.

frankeric

Journeyman
Yeah its impossible to convert a video from its current quality to better quality you can stretch the video for bigger ratio, but its quality will decrease.

mitraark

Decrepit
:+1:

If you are bugged by two horizontal lines, just buy a true HD monitor. If you already have a true HD monitor, buy genuine DVD's which have the same true HD resolution.
You can't fit a rectangle in a square, or a square into a rectangle. As long as ratio between length to width is not same, you will going to witness bars, either horizontally or vertically.

I'm not sure about this but i thought true HD was a layman's term for 1080p .. similarly, genuine DVD's will have the black bars as well ..
as whitestar_999 pointed out, cinema is shot at 2.4:1 aspect ratio, ripped movies are of 1920x800 resolution because there's no point in allocating resolution for the black bars ...

A few movies which were shot at full 1920x1080 1.78:1 aspect ratio are Avatar ...

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
^ avengers,MIB3,the dark knight rises
le bump
i get the same problem while watching legit non-HD DVD movies on my laptop(horizontal black bars) but XMBC/Cyberlink powerDVD has "stretching" feature,but i dont have such a feature on my Full HD TV
strangely i can watch 1920 x 800 vids on my laptop(with the black bars)

Top Bottom