Convert a XFX 8600GT to XFX 8600GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_d5010

Journeyman
Hmm.......so why cant we just boot through floppy and flash to original bios? ya but the system should do booting atleast from floppy also....would it do that? or simply halt with no display?

hmm........yaar so finally suggest me a dx10 card...i wud buy it this week probably.......i m getting 8600gt xfx at rs.7800/-....is the price ok? or overpriced?

Last edited:
OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
seems that theres a lot of confusion.will try to clear them.
1>when u oc thru riva tuner or any other software,the card will by default run at its default clk speed.it inc the clk speed when u play any game.but this doesnt always happen.atleast it didnt happen in my case.
2>after BIOS modding,the modded clk speeds become the default clk speed,so no question of underclking.
3>u can set a safe temp limit in the bios,if ur card crosses this limit it will start throttling.so chances of burnout r not too much.
4>if u dont get any display after this BIOS modd,install a pci vga card,remove ur gfx card,set ur primary gfx in bios to pci.then reinsert ur gfx card and reflash ur original bios.in most cases this will revive ur card.
5>as far as performace in comparison with 8600GTS is concerned,this depends a lot on how much power ur pci-e slot provides to ur gfx card.

p_d5010

Journeyman
assasin said:
seems that theres a lot of confusion.will try to clear them.
3>u can set a safe temp limit in the bios,if ur card crosses this limit it will start throttling.so chances of burnout r not too much.
Can you please tell me how to set safe limit temperature i bios? what is general safe temperature for gfx card(i thought 75)? and if the temperature goes over safe levels, what indications should we notice?

assasin said:
4>if u dont get any display after this BIOS modd,install a pci vga card,remove ur gfx card,set ur primary gfx in bios to pci.then reinsert ur gfx card and reflash ur original bios.in most cases this will revive ur card.

Isnt there any other way to flash the original bios in worst case? coz getting a pci card these days is next to impossible. Also i dont have onboard graphics.

Question: I thought setting the clock speeds and voltage higher would burn the components as they are not rated for those values of voltage(like 8600gt capacitors and resistors would have different/less ratings as compared to 8600gts).......please correct me if i am wrong.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
DID iT and it works like a Charm ! Eh Good and thanks!
The CPU temp is good..But one word of caution..though.
Unlike the 8600GTS where the Heat Sink covers the memory , The Memory in 8600Gt is uncovered and open.
I have put up a decent 120mm Fan right above the card to compensate for the lack of heat sink over momory.
However To get GTS there ( I am using Vista ) i suppose one has to reinstall the graphic drivers.
Hmm and then i was wondering, why not Volt mod it further..and Explore the Limits.
First turn the card and have a look at this thumbnail by opening it.
*img211.imageshack.us/img211/233/xfxfreshseasonswz8.th.jpg

And you can also do this :
This is a Volt mod for XFX 8600GT.
You just have to run a Mechanical Graphite pencil through the Core and Memory points shown.
This will be Volt modding it.!
Please refrain from doing it if you dont exactly follow.I have been pretty successful with the thing.
Best luck and happy squeezing the last juice from the card.

Last edited:

Who

Guess Who's Back
i have a very bad experince of volt modding on one of my older cards so i try not to volt mod with the pencil, also my Yhaoo ID is
drsanjay_shah@yahoo.com

the price of XFX 8600 GT is right, i had to pay the same price to get it.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Ya one more thing. I didint use Floopy. Arnt Floppies passe'.
Made a USB boot Drive and flashed it .
Made my day.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Tech Genius said:
I have the following:

Intel P4 3GHz
Intel 915GEV
2X512 DDR 2 RAM

Can i add XFX 8600GT to my system?

Yes you can Add XFX 8600GT to your system !

Yes you can Add XFX 8600GT to your system !

Originally Posted by BlackBerry7100g
Thnx for try..but won't try on my 8600 GT
Suites you still, 8600Gt is underclocked ! One should indulge in some lavishes of life.
You know what ? Try overclocking XFX8600GTS and it will fall flat, just as you increase few Mhz.
Wonder why ?
8600GTS is nothing but an overclocked GT so there is no room for overclock unlike 8600GT.

Last edited:

p_d5010

Journeyman
quadroplex780 said:
Yes,I think the 2600 pro can be modded to an ati HD2600 XT.
But the Xt won't mod to a Gemini version as it has dual HD 2600 Xt cores.

How can we mod hd2600pro to hd2600xt? and would its performance be better than 8600gt modded to 8600gts?

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
In most of the forums HD2600Xt doesnt even beat plain simple 8600GT.
In some may be but if you talk about best of the games that there are , well Ati disappoints.

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
as of now the only diff i found bet a real 8600 GTS and a 8600 Gt converted to 8600 GTS is the absence of HDCP in tha latter.

p_d5010

Journeyman
So should i consider buying the XFX 8600gt finally? please elaborate on what is the advantage of having HDCP

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
hey , dont u think u shud be more careful while OCing 8600GT . it has no additional connectors , so it receives power only frm the pcie slot . if ur OCed 8600 exceeds 75watt , then wont it cause problems both in card and mobo ? thats wat i read in a review where they adviced readers to be careful . .

i had OCed my xfx 8600 to 560mhz to 2-3 minutes . next month i'm getting it replaced coz mine is running too hot . can i get the replacement or will it be declined as i OCed it . . i used Riva tuner . thanks

OP
assasin

assasin

Banned
^^^ i think that u'll be able to replace it.
power consumption of 8600GTS is a bit more than the 75W mark.also if theres any pwr shortage then i think that the system will become unstable first, which i havent faced till now.
'newayz oc'ing never comes without risks.so no risk no gain.

@p_d5010 go ahead and buy a 8600GT.dont think about anything else.

for HDCP visit this link : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

u wont see HDCP for another 2-3 yrs in India

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom