connecting pc to laptop issue

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
My PC is running WIN7 ULTIMATE 64 BIT(config in signature)
My LAPTOP is running WIN7 STARTER PACK 32 BIT( CPU B960 2.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD)

Trying to connect both with the following steps

1. Changed my pc’s workgroup name to TEST(xxx.xxx..20)
2. Changed my laptop’s workgroup to TEST (xxx.xxx.x.10)
3. Restarted both PC & LAPPY
4. Connected both with a crossover ethernet cable
5. Pinged from pc to laptop successfull
6. Ping from laptop to pc successful.
7. Under Network in My Computer LAPTOP NAME is available in the PC & viceversa.
8. When clicked to open it is asking for a username & password , But none of my pc and laptop requires a
password to open.

What to do?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
go to network & sharing center--choose homegroup & sharing options--change advanced sharing settings & turn off password protected sharing feature under home or work profile.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
done accordingly.
Now after opening the PC from laptop it is showing nothing. So i decided to share a folder in my PC. I right click on a folder , go to "Share with" under which it shows " Homegroup(read) & Homegroup(read/write)" . On clicking it, it takes me to new window and asked to create homegroup. Tried to create but it again said " A homegroup can only be created on a home network.

TOTALLY CONFUSED.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in network & sharing center under view your active networks make sure it shows home network.if not then go to choose homegroup & sharing options & click on what is network location & change to home network.

sksundram

In the zone
Yeah, homegroup needs to be on a home/private network.
To find your password do as follow.
Open up Windows Explorer, and then find the Homegroup option in the left-hand navigation pane. Right-click on Homegroup and choose “View the HomeGroup password”.
If the password is not there then you have to create a new homegroup.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
in network & sharing center under view your active networks make sure it shows home network.if not then go to choose homegroup & sharing options & click on what is network location & change to home network.

it is showing "Public Network" which is not hyperlinked and so to say cannot be changed. Clicked on homegroup & sharing options under which there are 3 options

1. Tell me more about Homegroups
2.Change advanced sharing settings
3.Start the homegroup Trobleshooter

None of the options allowed me to change the "Unidentified Network" under Public Network to Home Network

*i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/avichandana20000/Capture.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
click on Tell me more about Homegroups.also why have you set vodafone connection(assuming mobile 2g/3g) as home,it should be public.for the time being disconnect vodafone & then change unidentified network type to home network.

kisame

King of Heroes
Refer to this post.No need for homegroups and meddling with private/public networks.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-...omegroups-am-i-getting-wrong.html#post2055884

Top Bottom