Connecting 2 systems in LAN

adityamgk

The GameFREAK is Online
As I already posted in my previous threads that i will be taking a new system..Once i take it I wanna connect this by LAN to my OLD PC..I want to achieve 2 things..

1. I want to connect both the systems to internet by BSNL Broadband Dataone with my Nokia seimens ADSL Router cum modem which has four wired LAN out and 1 wireless...is it possible to do so?

2. Can i connect both the Systems in LAN using the above Nokia Seimens ADSL router cum modem...if so how?

dsmarty

Journeyman
Yes, you can use internet in both system via LAN but you will have to configure your adsl modem

As far I know you have Nokia Siemens Router 1600... Am I right??

Last edited:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I'm not too sure about this but make the workgroup nae of both the computers same. Then go to network neighbourhood and select view wrokgroup computers. If the 2 systems are connected to the same router, the will show up. make sure to have some shared folders for this to work.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

adding to the above point.. :) if, still u (the OP) has a problem in finding the 2 PCs (detecting the 2 PCs on the n/w) wich can probably be the case of different OSes (say, PC-1 running on Win7 and PC-2 on XP) then d/load Cisco Network Magic and it will detect the 2 systems in a jiffy.. :)

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
oh yeah, I completely forget that people might be using different OS. But it shouldn't be a problem if both are different versions of windows I suppose, haven't tried that though.

dsmarty

Journeyman
As far I Know there is no need to make any workgroup.. follow this procedure...

1. open internet explorer then type 192.168.1.1
2. Type username as admin and password as admin then enter..
3. Now click advance setup and click on edit button which is against VPI/VCI -0 and 35 then click on next..
4. Now tick the
PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) and click next..
5. Now
type your username and password as given to you by BSNL
type a string "dataone" (w/o quote) in the pppoe service name.
8. Authentication mode to auto
8. now tick the both option if available.
1. Enable PPP debug mode
2. Bridge pppoe frames between WAN and local ports (default enable)
9. Now click next and tick on Enable Nat and Enable WAN service.
10. Now click Save and now select Save and reboot.. and go to management option and click on save and reboot.

Now your connection is permanent on for LAN and there is no need to connect manually everytime from pc.

Now connect your both pc with modem via LAN cable and access internet...

reply here whether it's working or not..

OP
A

adityamgk

The GameFREAK is Online
@dsmarthy will i be able to connect both in lan that is can i share files and all between the 2 pc's with the above equipment?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@dsmarthy will i be able to connect both in lan that is can i share files and all between the 2 pc's with the above equipment?

u can right click on any folder and then select Properties > SHaring, then specify a name for that particular folder (wich needs to be shared) and then u are done.. :)

an easier way is to install Cisco's Network Magic Pro (u can get them from ...ahem.... sources.. and then do it in a much more GUI based way.. :) (its helpful wen u hv 2 diff, OSes running say, one is 32bit XP and the other is 64bit Vista or WIN7 ) :)
----------

Cheers n e-peace.....

Top Bottom