Connect 2 a friend's PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Can any1 tell me the answer to the following question ?

I reside in WB, India ( :lol: , as if it makes things more precise :lol: )
my friend happens to reside in Allahabad !!!

We both happen to own a comp at home ( :lol: , thought u couldn't Guess)

But we are not a part of any network (I mean any other network except the Internet)

Still, we want to get access to each other's machine in a way that we can share files and any other stuff (I mean, everything !) only amongst ourselves !

He runs Win 98 SE and I run XP (with SP2).

How do I connect to his machine if I get to know his IP address ?

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

This is a short description of our sole try !

We went to a website that told us our current IP addresses !
We were chatting on Yahoo Messenger and hance told each other our respective IP addresses.
We pasted the IP address in the Internet Explorer (For those of you who do not know it ==> IE can act as the Windows Explorer of u view folders on UR machine)
BUT -----------------Nothing showed up !!!!!!!!!

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Any1 ever tried it ?

Any suggestions ?

A complete ( & comprehensive ) guide is extremely welcome.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
We used to do this stuff using a software called pc anyware. But remember the throughput is limited by the lowest net connection that you have

h4xbox

Journeyman
Try radmin or author a program in vb to cater ur needs..Just a file manager will cater you needs ...
Correct me if iam wrong

digen

Youngling
This is a short description of our sole try !

We went to a website that told us our current IP addresses !
We were chatting on Yahoo Messenger and hance told each other our respective IP addresses.
We pasted the IP address in the Internet Explorer (For those of you who do not know it ==> IE can act as the Windows Explorer of u view folders on UR machine)
BUT -----------------Nothing showed up !!!!!!!!

Unless & untill there is a service residing there how do you expect to connect & make merry?
Dude even if you have the IP address,there should be some sort of service/s along with the respective port/s running for you to connect.For example a HTTP server,you can connect to www.thinkdigit.com just because there is a HTTP server running at port 80 by default or whatever the server has been configured to accept incoming connections.If there wasnt then you wouldnt be able to connect.On the same lines the remote desktop software normally consist of 2 parts,a client software & a server software.

Yes there are many ways to go about it.Either grab a third party remote control software like TightVNC,RealVNC or UltraVNC or use the remote desktop feature which is bundled with XP.Here is no bells no whistles tut which should get you alive & kicking with remote desktop ,but make sure it meets the requirements.

EDIT:Btw which operating systems are you trying to connect with?

whoopy_whale

Journeyman
Try Grouper
Grouper is a new Windows based application that allows users to share their personal media within private groups. Grouper uses P2P technology connecting you directly to your friends' hard drives where you can share large files in a safe, encrypted environment. Grouper is a simple install and requires no firewall reconfiguration.

abhinav

Journeyman
well can i connect my PC with my cousins who is having the same connection (sify broadband )

as we are having same network....

SO plz adwise

i think we can

expertno.1

Technomancer
now take the experts advice mr rajkumar

get ur friends phone no.

downlaod multicomm
www.softnews.ro/public/cat/4/5/4-5-9.shtml

i will allow u to do anything between the comps

plus the benefit is that the caler will be the bill payer

hope this solves

u can use hyper terminal also

abhinav
Warmed-Up Nerd

know ur cousins ip address
call him with the ip address
star talking!

u can use differnt software swhich allow u to connect two comps using ip address

thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom