Confused with RAM!

roady

Digital Marketer
This one PC that I still somehow have... currently has a 256 mb ram. The exact wordings on the RAM are like

256 PC4200(533)DDR2-210606-0519 (written in the front)

and at the back of the RAM, it's like

PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
32Mx64 256mb

Since this is a pretty outdated ram, and the PC is actually running as smooth as ever (until the other 1 GB ram got busted long ago and I don't remember what type it was..), I'm planning to install another 1gb ram.

Problem is - does the RAM have to be of exactly same type as the current one? I'm still llearning about rams and have no clue as to what RAM should I buy which will fit and run perfectly.
Also, what would be the cost of this RAM?

OP
R

roady

Digital Marketer
...that's it? I mean.. I don't have to worry about the pins/pc4200 or whatever?

Does that mean I can choose any ram from here -

RAM Price List India: Computer Components: Flipkart.com

OP
R

roady

Digital Marketer
thanks! I'm gonna buy transcend

some Update...

I just happened to find this page about the desktop Pc that I still have

Compaq Presario SR1700 Desktop PC series- Compaq Presario SR1732IL Desktop PC Product Specifications - c00610123 - HP Business Support Center

Just to make sure.. did I make the right thing with purchasing this ram?

Transcend DDR2 1 GB PC RAM (JM800QLU-1G) | Ram | Flipkart.com

I mean, it's compatible right?

OP
R

roady

Digital Marketer
So I finally got the RAM.. and I was surprised to see that the size differs in terms of length of the new RAM..

The ram at the top is the original RAM.. (256 PC4200(533)DDR2-210606-0519) and is bigger in size

The ram below it is the new RAM i bought.. (1gb ddr2 800 DIMM)

*img832.imageshack.us/img832/8035/20120709142428.jpg

Thought I'd ask before I would insert this ram.. don't wanna blow it out/or the mobo lol

OP
R

roady

Digital Marketer
Well, I installed it fine.. however, the system ram now shows up to only 960 mb ram instead of (256 mb + 1gb)

I tried swapping the sticks but didn't work... and I doubt the older ram is all-of-a-sudden corrupt. What gives?

Top Bottom