Confused-Phone for dad @15k

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
getting it is a lottery though
I know but it's worth it. Also there are some scripts on the Internet that you can use to buy it as many dealers and people are using that. That's why it gets sold out in 2 seconds. I brought it during its first flash sale.

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
1. Budget? 10-15k
2. Display type and size? 4-4.7 inch any type
3. Dual sim? yes
4. Preferred choice of brand? Sony , Samsung, Moto, Nokia , HTC (No Lenovo, Xolo, Xeomi, MMX etc)
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? Need flash , front camera, good camera
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc). android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready). 3G
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? music, camera and calling
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? none matches
10. Any other info that you want to share

MotoG - bad camera
Asus Zenphone 5 - poor battery life
Xperia M - no kitkat , small screen...still can consider it ..bit old

- - - Updated - - -

Sony Xperial L owner - did you at least get 4.3 ....I think this one have the best cam of all in that range
Check this out Best budget smartphones under Rs. 15,000 | Digit.in

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
me and my dad both are photo enthusiast...cant even dream of neglecting camera feature ... even no led of Lumia 630 is a no no.

I saw many reviews of LG L90 ...it seems fine ....any known downside of this

Ronnie012

Earthling
me and my dad both are photo enthusiast...cant even dream of neglecting camera feature ... even no led of Lumia 630 is a no no.

Dude, if you want a camera phone then trust me, go for ASUS Zenfone 5.I own an Asus Zenfone 5 and it provides excellent Bang for the Buck. The only known con is battery backup which gets solved after the mobile is caliberated updated. Plus Kitkat Update (scheduled at September)will give around 30-40 % more battery life (One of the reasons Motorola has more battery backup is because it's got Kitkat!) Plus Asus has more service centers (count the Asus Laptop Service centers as the Zenfone Service center and if you don't believe me then just go and talk to any Asus retailer nearby)

I don't know about Lumia 630, but tried the camera of Lumia 525 and it's crap in low light! Otherwise Lumia 630 is an excellent phone (the phone looks Premium !)

rish1

Cyborg Agent
wait for the superman Lumia 730 to launch next month ... it will have

dual sim
4.7 inch 720p screen
a great 6.5/8 mp camera
a 5mp front cam
1.2 ghz Quad SD 400
1gb ram
great looks

Price - around 15k

in any case dont buy 630 due to 512mb + no flash+ overprice but the 5mp unit is very very good cam( personally used ) but no flash ruins it

so wait for 730 perfect phone for the budget and fits your requirements

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl

L90 lacks an ambient light sensor. One might have to up the brightness manually while outdoors and down indoors which will soon become PITA. However it may be possible to find a common setting.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok..lets see about Lumia 730

no ambient sensor is fine...i keep it manual on mine even if it have it...low brightness is disguesting sometimes

kaz

right here
If I were you I would have bought an LG L90 or would wait for Lumia 730

No moto and xiaomi for parents :p

Last edited:

saurabha26may

Broken In
It all depends upon usage. If you father is not tech savvy and need easy to use mobile then Lumia is the option if he wants more of news, mail, browsing then go for Android.

If camera is priority then go for Lumia if not then MI 3 is good option if you happen to get one :). Both has great battery life. Refrain from Android if he is going to be online much time as the battery drains out much unless you use Battery saver efficiently.

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
It all depends upon usage. If you father is not tech savvy and need easy to use mobile then Lumia is the option if he wants more of news, mail, browsing then go for Android.

If camera is priority then go for Lumia if not then MI 3 is good option if you happen to get one :). Both has great battery life. Refrain from Android if he is going to be online much time as the battery drains out much unless you use Battery saver efficiently.
Every smartphone drains battery if you use them. Major battery drain is caused by the type of screen used in the mobile. Samsung uses amoled which consumes the most battery. (All models before galaxy S5) my dad owns Mi3 and he always reaches home with 40-45% remaining. Thats with atleast 1hrs on call, two email accounts with synch on all the time, one news, one cricket, two weater apps all set toin sync interval, bbm, facebook and whatsapp. Net on all the time 2g. And wifi usage for 3-4 hours. He leaves in the morning at around 8 and comes back after 8pm. If he switched of mobile data and use just wifi for 3-4 hrs in a day. His phone battery is drained just 30-40% (atleast 70% remaining) at the end of the day. And he also uses his phone whenever he is free because this is his first smarphone. So he starts exploring whenever he gets free time. So he also gets min 2-4hrs screen on time from morning to night.

All that and min 40% battery always remains at the end of the day. Thats when the phone is not in power save mode. Its on balanced mode. If i set it on power save mode it doesn't even drain 50%. He receives lot of videos on whatsapp so he watches videos as well and he experiment with his camera everyday. I will share the pics taken by Mi3 tonight. One of the pic was taken accidentally as i suddenly had to perform some task while i was playing around with camera. So pic was captured while i was walking a bit fast. And it came out so awesome. Not even my galaxy s3 is capable of such an awesome pic. Hdr mode is even more awesome. Played around with manual focus and macro mode too. Camera is awesome. Will upload all those pics tonight.
3 of my friends got lumia inspite of me advising against it and they were crying after getting them. 2 already sold them and got new devices and one can't afford to buy new device so he is stuck with it.

doom2010

Journeyman
Every smartphone drains battery if you use them. Major battery drain is caused by the type of screen used in the mobile. Samsung uses amoled which consumes the most battery.

AFAIK AMOLED screens are most battery saver screen. Because of LEDs are off when black shows.

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
AFAIK AMOLED screens are most battery saver screen. Because of LEDs are off when black shows.
If you use only. Black themes and use black backgrounds everywhere the. Amoleds consumes relatively less battery but even then they consume much more battery then any other screen. From galaxy s4 onwards they made some optimization anf ut became a bit battery friendly. With S5 its a giant leap. (No personal experience with s5 as of yet) will be buying S5 or S5 prime and find out then. Amoled are much better display according to me. No other manufacturer uses amoled only samsung does. Samsung is having tough time selling their display technology. As of now only samsung uses it or maybe one or two more companies. But that too not on very large scale. Whereas sony, htc, motorola, lg etc they mostly use same technology. Not all of those uses exactly same but other's are used by much more companies than amoled's.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If you use only. Black themes and use black backgrounds everywhere the. Amoleds consumes relatively less battery but even then they consume much more battery then any other screen. From galaxy s4 onwards they made some optimization anf ut became a bit battery friendly. With S5 its a giant leap. (No personal experience with s5 as of yet) will be buying S5 or S5 prime and find out then. Amoled are much better display according to me. No other manufacturer uses amoled only samsung does. Samsung is having tough time selling their display technology. As of now only samsung uses it or maybe one or two more companies. But that too not on very large scale. Whereas sony, htc, motorola, lg etc they mostly use same technology. Not all of those uses exactly same but other's are used by much more companies than amoled's.

Nokia C6-01, Motorola Droid RAZR, Moto X, BlackBerry Z30, Q10 :wink:

AMOLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
can't list them all :lol:

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
Just moto x. Even samsung doesn't uses amoleds in all it's smartphones. If i start writing everything, it will take days to finish one post. But i hope the person i replied to gets what i was saying. In short if you xan prove in any way or show some good article saying that amoled are most battery efficient or even considered as battery efficient i will pay 100$. (Not talking about the latest screens which came this year). Second point was amoleds are less or least widely adopted (don't come up with "samsung sold max no of devices and those had amoled, so amoled is most used) that's not what i am saying.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Just moto x. Even samsung doesn't uses amoleds in all it's smartphones. If i start writing everything, it will take days to finish one post. But i hope the person i replied to gets what i was saying. In short if you xan prove in any way or show some good article saying that amoled are most battery efficient or even considered as battery efficient i will pay 100$. (Not talking about the latest screens which came this year). Second point was amoleds are less or least widely adopted (don't come up with "samsung sold max no of devices and those had amoled, so amoled is most used) that's not what i am saying.

here from a 2011 article

Battery life on AMOLED screen mobiles improved by simple tweak - CNET

"The bright screen caused the battery to drop 71 per cent compared to just 12.2 per cent for the dark screen."

if you use blacks then amoleds will use much much less power than IPS LCD but if you crank up the brightness at 100 % the whites on lcd will consume less power than an amoled screen .. at other levels power consumption would be better on amoleds .. on 100 % whites amoleds consumes too much power.. on using colored wallpapers amoleds uses much less battery than lcds. when using blacks it totally crushes LCD power consumption

whites are LCD strength whereas Blacks are AMoleds strength .. overall Amoleds are much more battery efficient due to the power savings that can be brought upon due to using blacks and since nobody uses phones at 100 % brightness, the power advantage to LCD is hardly observed by anyone.

Thoughts on AMOLED and LCD displays in 2013: Is there a clear winner? | PhoneDog

"It's important to mention that LCD displays are only more efficient at full brightness as compared to AMOLED. AMOLED screens are more efficient all around, just not when the brightness is cranked up."

now i am waiting for 100 $ :p and these are comparison of old amoleds not counting the newer displays

Last edited:

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
here from a 2011 article

Battery life on AMOLED screen mobiles improved by simple tweak - CNET

"The bright screen caused the battery to drop 71 per cent compared to just 12.2 per cent for the dark screen."

if you use blacks then amoleds will use much much less power than IPS LCD but if you crank up the brightness at 100 % the whites on lcd will consume less power than an amoled screen .. at other levels power consumption would be better on amoleds .. on 100 % whites amoleds consumes too much power.. on using colored wallpapers amoleds uses much less battery than lcds. when using blacks it totally crushes LCD power consumption

whites are LCD strength whereas Blacks are AMoleds strength .. overall Amoleds are much more battery efficient due to the power savings that can be brought upon due to using blacks and since nobody uses phones at 100 % brightness, the power advantage to LCD is hardly observed by anyone.

Thoughts on AMOLED and LCD displays in 2013: Is there a clear winner? | PhoneDog

"It's important to mention that LCD displays are only more efficient at full brightness as compared to AMOLED. AMOLED screens are more efficient all around, just not when the brightness is cranked up."

now i am waiting for 100 $ :p and these are comparison of old amoleds not counting the newer displays
Research a bit more. There is not just amoled and lcd display. There are many more types and sub types. Amoled, super amoled , lcd, slcd, tft, ips , higher version of ips (don't remember the name) etc and read again what i wrote. Word by word. Amoled vs lcd proves nothing and read this article properly. Most of the geniuses like you have a habit of reading or seeing only what they want to see. Come up with a better articles or proof. Its 100$ not 100rs not that easy to earn.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Research a bit more. There is not just amoled and lcd display. There are many more types and sub types. Amoled, super amoled , lcd, slcd, tft, ips , higher version of ips (don't remember the name) etc and read again what i wrote. Word by word. Amoled vs lcd proves nothing and read this article properly. Most of the geniuses like you have a habit of reading or seeing only what they want to see. Come up with a better articles or proof. Its 100$ not 100rs not that easy to earn.

i know it bro... but do you know what is the difference between all of those ? at the very basic ips,Slcd,SLcd2 all are variants of LCD which differ with improvements caused due to improvements in technology, and variations in implementation techniques/technology ? AmolEd , super amoled , super amoled plus etc all are variants of OLED and each next generation OLEd better than the previous generation.. what you are talking about is the base level of technology .. Oled can't match the whites of LCD and Lcd can't match the blacks of OLED due to the inherent basic nature of the screens.. LCD cannot work without without backlight because it cannot produce its own light. and blocks white backlight to display black which consumes more energy to block out white colour , whereas oleds can simply turn pixels off and will always be ahead of LCD due to the basic nature of technology and thus enjoying better Power consumption in blacks and colored images and thus overall better than LCD .. in whites LCD will be ahead

straight from wikipedia

"While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image that is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD. However, an OLED can use more than three times as much power to display an image with a white background"

they both can improve and reduce the power consumption in their weak areas. in order for a fair comparison one needs to compare 2 different technology at the same time period .. the article i mentioned above compares SLCD and IPS based tft LCD in comparison To super amoled and in both cases it has much better power consumption in black and normal scenarios except whites .. secondly ips consumes more power than the old tn based tft lcd ..

but since you specifically asked not to compare newer one i compared old one for you and showed you proof with articles and links .. its ok if you don't want to pay 100 $ , it was just a poke, i never expected it lol .. but just for the sake of defending your 100 $ stand please don't get personal and please look and understand what i or articles are saying.. i am not asking you 100 $ :) but request you to not overlook .. if you find any factual error in what i posted or linked please do let me know i would be more eager than you to correct myself ,

thanks

Last edited:
ok..lets see about Lumia 730

no ambient sensor is fine...i keep it manual on mine even if it have it...low brightness is disguesting sometimes

I personally think Moto G & Zenfone 5 are best options for your dad. I would recommend those to my dad too, if i have to.

Just ask his size preference & get one. If he's ok with Zenfone 5, then get it as it's better

Top Bottom