2. Nikon D3200
3. Canon EOS 550D

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
Santanu

sujoyp

Grand Master
Technically D5100 is the best of three.

whats ur need?? give more details about ur lens plans, ur photography needs etc ...also tell us ur level of knowledge...have u used manual settings before?

maxtor

Journeyman
Choose Nikon hands down because they are much better than Canon. D5100 is the best out of the three. Of course also depends on what you are looking for in a camera and your budget

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
D5100 is best....
my frnd who own canon SLR.. they say canon lens are pretty good in quality and sumwht cheaper too.. they are more VFM...

Canon EOS 550D is quite good if you are looking for a budget dslr.But if you can increase your budget a bit then Nikon D5100 will be the best.Technically none is inferior to other.Only major differences are the later have Low noise at high ISO & Large sensor.

OP
S

santanu.034

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments.

Let me tell I have been clicking for past 1.5 yrs but its only on Nikon L120. Haven't used manual controls before.

sujoyp

Grand Master
knightlover sensor size can be neglected....but yes D5100 have less noise in low light

OP
S

santanu.034

I am not good in technical terms related to camera. Can anybody suggest in layman's language. Whatever I get upto now is that D5100 is better.
Many of my frnds who r into photography was telling D550 is a better one.

Ok now if i go with Nikon then 3200 or 5100?? I think 3200 has more megapixel.. Will that come into consideration?

Kindly advise.

bongboy

Broken In
Hi,

I'm a beginner and planning to buy my first DSLR. I have narrowed down my choices to Canon 550D, Nikon D5100 and Sony A57.
Now how to select one from these?

Budget is around 45K and will like to shoot portrait, nature and wild life.

Also any idea is Nikon will be launching any upgrade for Nikon D5100?? I hear canon/nikon are on a 4 year cycle for launching new models but it launched D5100 upgrade of D5000 in 2 years times.

Also can you please explain how Nikon D5100 not having an AF motor effect the video shooting?? Are DX series lens not equipped with AF Motors???

sujoyp

Grand Master
@bongboy suggested you in ur thread...

@shantanu ....in layman terms more megapixel does not matter...D5100 is higher level then D3XX series soo its better to get D5100
also 550D was a very good DSLR...but now its 3.5 years old...canon is lowering the price of 600D to replace 550D

blackpearl

The Devil
I'm in a similar dilemma between nikon d5100 and canon 550d. I want to go for nikon because of low-noise. I want to do night photography with low light, so low noise is important. But nikon lenses are costly.

What do you suggest? Which will cost me more in the long run, a nikon or canon?

P.S: I didn't want to create a new thread and start the discussion all over again.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@blackperl right now after the canon increased the prices by huge margines...I think canon lost the price advantage

U should get D5100..

Price of 500D have decreased to 27k now on ebay...but prices of all lenses r gone out of range...just basic ones r purchasable...remaining u have to depend on tamron sigma

Advait

Hi everyone im new to this forum ...... Like many of the members here i too am planning to buy my first dslr i have been using the Canon IXUS 100IS camera for the past 2 yrs n now i need to move on to a dslr . So i have shortlisted the Canon EOS 550D 18-55mm kit. I want guidance on which lens i should buy for zooming purposes as i believe the 18-55mm range is too short . I have shortlisted the following lenses :

1) Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 DG Macro
2) Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro
3) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
4) Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
5) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

I would like to know one should i go for . Plz let me know the differences between them . Any suggestions are welcome

sujoyp

Grand Master
@advait welcome to our forum :)

nice that u have already selected 550D+kit ...now among all these choices get Canon 55-250IS its the best among these.

Difference is none of the other lenses have IS ....the other canon 75-300 is a big flop...sigma tamron u menstioned have slow focus speed :)

drsubhadip

In the zone
Hi everyone im new to this forum ...... Like many of the members here i too am planning to buy my first dslr i have been using the Canon IXUS 100IS camera for the past 2 yrs n now i need to move on to a dslr . So i have shortlisted the Canon EOS 550D 18-55mm kit. I want guidance on which lens i should buy for zooming purposes as i believe the 18-55mm range is too short . I have shortlisted the following lenses :

1) Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 DG Macro
2) Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro
3) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
4) Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
5) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

I would like to know one should i go for . Plz let me know the differences between them . Any suggestions are welcome

nice that u have already selected 550D+kit ...now among all these choices get Canon 55-250IS its the best among these.

Difference is none of the other lenses have IS ....the other canon 75-300 is a big flop...sigma tamron u menstioned have slow focus speed :)

Ya right said ..Sujoy..

:)

Advait

Thanks for your suggestion , I will certainly take it into consideration . One more thing ... About the slow autofocus u mentioned , does it really affect the image alot , and is it worth trading the zoom of sigma 300mm for the canon250 IS ?

Rishi Jain

hi
i m going to buy a dslr camera for the photography club of our college and hv shortlisted the d3200,d5100 and 550d.
but then somebody told me that nikon dslr's use only nikkorr lenses.is that true ?
then would u suggest the 550d ?
also as this camera will be used for a long time ,i would prefer the camera which is more robust.
could u suggest some lenses also for beginners as the bundled lenses are usually not very useful (acc to most of the forums.)
thanks

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^
Nikkor lenses are in-house lens made for Nikon DSLRs. There are other third party manufacturers (Tamron, Sigma among others) who produce lenses for Nikon DSLRs.

Both D5100 and 550D are good. You can pick one between these two...

mastervk

In the zone
hi
i m going to buy a dslr camera for the photography club of our college and hv shortlisted the d3200,d5100 and 550d.
but then somebody told me that nikon dslr's use only nikkorr lenses.is that true ?
then would u suggest the 550d ?
also as this camera will be used for a long time ,i would prefer the camera which is more robust.
could u suggest some lenses also for beginners as the bundled lenses are usually not very useful (acc to most of the forums.)
thanks

kit lens is good enough for all general purpose(both 18-55 and 50-250)..if you have money then you can buy equivalent lens of better quality...but they will cost as much as your dslr or more..

replacement for 18-55 : tamron lens 17-55 or canon 17-55 f/2.8 or canon 17-85 IS
50-250 mm - 70-300 mm IS

sujoyp

Grand Master
bro even canon can use lenses made for canon only...just like nikon does

practically there is no difference in number of lenses for a beginner :)

Now that price of lenses are almost same I would go for Nikon D5100

what lenses you want to began with ?? And that is a totally wrong comment that bundled lenses are not good...actually the people who use them are newbies and dont know how to use them...later when they replace them with 4 times costly lenses...they are automatically satisfied with that coz of the money spent and experience with bundled lens :D

Kit lens
nikon 18-55 AFS VR (bundled lens)
Nikon 18-105 mm AFS VR
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Di Non VC

zoom lens
Nikon 55-200 AFS VR (not recommended with 18-105mm)
Nikon 55-300 AFS VR
Nikon 70-300 AFS VR
Tamron 70-300 VC USD

get one kit lens and one zoom lens to began with...later buy as per your requirement

Top Bottom