Confused about moving from Desktop to Laptop. Help needed!

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
tl;dr

you can consider buying a docking station, dell has few models with parallel port and serial ports along with vga and other connectors.

you can connect all your devices to this docking station and just dock the laptop, when on move just detach your laptop and go mobile :)
Looks like a good option. I found something like this: E/Port Plus 210W Port Replicator for Select Dell Latitude Laptops / Precision Mobile WorkStations : Laptop/Notebook Accessories | Dell
But very expensive (real pro stuff!:mrgreen:) and not looking compatible with any random notebook (only for Dell Latitude/Precision?), right? But can be a great option for my Dad someday, probably! Thanks!:)

^Yes its very easy to switch if OPTIMUS is there.
:) Roger that!

rohitmurarka

Broken In
Hello Swaroop,

I checked your forum. Very exhaustive research, i must say.
We both seems to have exactly same requirements as we as concerns. As far as my market research goes current 3rd gen i5 offerings are either not worthy or with bad build quality.

So i am thinking to shift focus back to 2nd gen. I am inclined to either Sony with i3-270M or HP probook 4430 with i5-2450M.
Please refer my link for details:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/160563-decent-3rd-gen-i5-performer-good-screen.html

Please provide ur feedbacks too ate.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit Murarka

tonmoyfx

Broken In
Hi guys,

I would be interested to know how the search of the OP ended? What did you finally buy, man. I'm looking for exactly same thing. Can you kindly share your thoughts.
Should I go for Dell 14R or HP Probook 4540s?

tonmoyfx

Broken In
IIRC 14r comes with 640M but 4540s comes w/o dGPU. If your priority is dGPU then its 14r, otherwise 4540s.

Thanks mate.
But I've heard people saying that Dell 14R is of really bad build. Has that statement any truth in it? Also, apart from the GPU( i think it comes with 630M) The Dell Online Store: Build Your System, which is not my priority, is the probook better?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Thanks mate.
But I've heard people saying that Dell 14R is of really bad build. Has that statement any truth in it? Also, apart from the GPU( i think it comes with 630M) The Dell Online Store: Build Your System, which is not my priority, is the probook better?

Can't say about build quality of 14r, haven't experienced it. ProBook is anyday better than it if you can justify the cost.

PS: Continue at one place only, either your thread or wherever.

tonmoyfx

Broken In
Can't say about build quality of 14r, haven't experienced it. ProBook is anyday better than it if you can justify the cost.

PS: Continue at one place only, either your thread or wherever.
Sorry, we can continue here. Sorry for the confusion.
So what do you suggest. All I wanted is something that is a small powerhouse. GPU is not an issue, but who's complaining if it's there. I wanted to wrap it up in 40k +- 2,3k...but is super confused. :(

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Sorry, we can continue here. Sorry for the confusion.
So what do you suggest. All I wanted is something that is a small powerhouse. GPU is not an issue, but who's complaining if it's there. I wanted to wrap it up in 40k +- 2,3k...but is super confused. :(

If dGPU is not in the scene, then of course ProBook. You can even get 2nd gen i5 ProBook at 34k (Keep HD3000 vs HD4000 in mind). (I got one for one of my cousin a month ago).

tonmoyfx

Broken In
If dGPU is not in the scene, then of course ProBook. You can even get 2nd gen i5 ProBook at 34k (Keep HD3000 vs HD4000 in mind). (I got one for one of my cousin a month ago).

But my problem is that I will need Windows for my programming needs. And also I would need 3rd Gen i5. So only Dell 14R fits the bill. :S Any other you have in mind?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
HP Pavilion G6-2016TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB/ 1GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

There's further 10% discount coupon if you order from infibeam.

tonmoyfx

Broken In
HP Pavilion G6-2016TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB/ 1GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

There's further 10% discount coupon if you order from infibeam.

So you suggest HP Pavilion over The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

saaransh9

Journeyman

why not 14r i have played with15r's before n i think the built quality will be the same as 15r.
15r is a good in built quality u can even get students discount in dell if u order it online or via phone n can get accessories if u try to bargain on phones with the salesman as i did :)

tonmoyfx

Broken In
Hi Sujay,

I'm getting HP G6-2016TX at Rs. 42k from a local dealer *www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g6-20...gb-500gb-win7-hb-1gb-graph/p/itmdah7asz9p3hzm
I also bargained a Logitec B175 wireless mouse Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse Price - Buy Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse Price in India, Best Prices n Review with it.

Is it a good deal? I'm planning to quote this to another dealer so that I can bargain more. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Because I'm getting the 14R for Rs 42,536. So HP seems a better deal. I didn't like the dell Inspiron build quality. What say?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
why not 14r i have played with15r's before n i think the built quality will be the same as 15r.
15r is a good in built quality u can even get students discount in dell if u order it online or via phone n can get accessories if u try to bargain on phones with the salesman as i did :)

I haven't seen newer inspiron models, so frankly I can't comment upon their build quality. But older Inspiron build quality was really bad. Refresh "seems" much better though.

Hi Sujay,

I'm getting HP G6-2016TX at Rs. 42k from a local dealer HP Pavilion G6-2016TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB/ 1GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook
I also bargained a Logitec B175 wireless mouse Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse Price - Buy Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse Price in India, Best Prices n Review with it.

Is it a good deal? I'm planning to quote this to another dealer so that I can bargain more. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Because I'm getting the 14R for Rs 42,536. So HP seems a better deal. I didn't like the dell Inspiron build quality. What say?

I wouldn't call it a deal. FK is giving it for same price (42.7-price of the mouse you're getting).

tonmoyfx

Broken In
I haven't seen newer inspiron models, so frankly I can't comment upon their build quality. But older Inspiron build quality was really bad. Refresh "seems" much better though.

I wouldn't call it a deal. FK is giving it for same price (42.7-price of the mouse you're getting).

Actually, they reduced the price just today. It was 43.something yesterday.
Btw, finally I got the G6 for Rs. 40200 from a local dealer. I couldn't get a better deal. It's awesome. Typing from it now.

Top Bottom