Confused about moving from Desktop to Laptop. Help needed!

swaroop.b

Broken In
Hi all!:)
I'm very new to thinkdigit Forum. But I've been following this forum for quite a long time and now I'm a great fan of you all!
Here's a some background (some jibber-jabber, embedded in SPOILER tag. You may skip this just in case you want only the questionnnaire part. But I'll be happy if you allow me to express! I'll try to be quick! :wink:)
Who I am: recently passed out BE E&TC guy, joining IT industry while maintaining the Embedded Electronics work.

History: I got introduced to computers at the age of 5. It was a HDD-less 80386 having DOS. Moving through 80386-with-Windows 3.11, Pentium I with Windows 95 and AMD Athlon with Windows XP, today I'm using Pentium Dual Core E5300, 1GB DDR2 with Windows 7 Ultimate. The current PC is two years old now.

What I have been doing and do with my desktop:
  1. Mostly coding in various environments, starting from TurboC, VB6 (Very light and legacy) to Eclipse, Visual Studio 2010, MPLAB IDE, AVR Studio (Newer and heavy IDEs) as well as simulations on Multisim (electronic circuit simulation) and Matlab (signal processing).
  2. Lot of experiments regarding Sound (Audacity, Audition, VirtualDJ), Images (Photoshop, GIMP) and occasionally Video (nothing more than Windows Movie Maker), occasional 3D modelling (Blender, SolidWorks).
  3. Working with "heavy" PowerPoint Presentations and heavy browsing (tend to multitask a lot)
  4. Watching movies and listening to music.
  5. Very rarely play games (such as NFS U2, CS 1.6 just for a break or "recreation with fellow geeks":mrgreen:)
Did I ever have a laptop: technically yes, a family-friend had lent me his extra Dell Inspiron 15r (1st gen i3, 3GB DDR3, 320GB SATA, 512MB ATI), but never really used it since my project required a Parallel Printer (LPT) Port for programming a CPLD, which of course, wasn't there in the laptop. So the PC ruled till now!

The situation now: As you could have sensed that I'm trying to make "kind of" heavy and miscellaneous use of my simple Dual Core desktop. But recently I'm being bugged by the time it takes for booting, compiling programs or starting the web browser. Also I'm being offered a laptop now and here starts my confusion!
My concern:
  • I have been heavily using my desktop. But it is proving to be weak these days.
  • I still require the Serial RS-232 Port and Parallel Printer (LPT) Port. So, I cannot completely abandon my PC. But I don't know how it'd be for things to be partly spread between the PC and laptop.
  • Most of you might have a desktop and laptop. My question is, how do you manage their throughput, usability, maintenance and synchronisation? :?
So, if I buy a laptop, the Requirements can be:
  • It HAS TO BE very robust. Build quality cannot be compromised.
  • It should be able to run 18-hrs a day (with AC plugged in, but I've heard that battery life gets hampered by that. Solution?) and ~4hrs on battery.
  • Should be decently powered: at least 2nd gen i5 :)?:) (preferred 3rd gen i5, but price is the bottleneck)
  • Portability is of importance (preferred 14", 1.8kg < wt < 2.5kg) since the non-mobile desktop is already present!
  • Should have all ports (HDMI, VGA, LAN) with Optical Disk Drive
  • It has be future-proof (expecting USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0)
  • Better NOT TO HAVE dedicated graphics (just for the price issue) since I don't play heavy games.
  • Preferably has to have Windows 7 preloaded.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the filled out the Questionnaire for laptop/notebook purchase:

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
  • 35k +/- 5k INR (see at the end)
2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • 14" most preferable; 15.5" only if too good to resist.
3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
  • Preferred: Sony, HP, Acer
    [*]Confused about: Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba
4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
  • Heavy coding, programming the microcontrollers, browsing, watching movies, experimenting with audio-video-imaging, very rare and light gaming
5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
  • Preferably Matte (provided it's bright enough), else fine with glossy
6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
  • I'd mostly purchase it locally.
  • ASS should be decent but is not of MAJOR concern, but of course, should be locally repairable in case.
My search was zeroed at:
  • SVE14112EN : E Series : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India (My first love! Sadly no i5 version without dedicated graphics. Battery backup? Trackpad?)
  • HP ProBook 4430s (2nd Gen Core i5) Laptop: Flipkart.com (heating issues? No Win7)
  • Lenovo Essential G Series G580 (59-324061) Laptop 3rd Gen Ci5/4GB/500GB/DOS: Flipkart.com(Build quality? No Win7)
  • Lenovo ThinkPad Edge Series E420 (1141-FVQ) Laptop: Flipkart.com(Sadly, no USB3.0, no Win7. Similar option?)
What I found perfect, but not available in India:
SVE14116FXB : Intel Core i5 2450M(2.50GHz) | 14" | 6GB Memory | 750GB HDD | Backlit Keyboard | Win7HP
This is for merely $696.99 (~38k). Any solution for getting this in India? Will it be there officially in near future?
:!:
My confu-clu-sion: Is it possible to get such a laptop which can let me do everything that my desktop allows (and only do the RS-232/LPT Port work on desktop) at that price? If not, should I increase the budget and by how much? After hearing this I was also being advised to upgrade my desktop (for around 15-18k) and buy a netbook at another 20k! Radical but last solution. In short, I've read a lot of things and confused myself. I need a tough, criticism'ic and frank opinion from you guys and I welcome ANY of your views!:razz:
Thanks in advance!
p.s. I swear I'm gonna get fired upon for writing so long. But letting my confusion out was the only thing I could do! Sorry!

randomuser111

Technomancer
Boy was that a long post ! LOL

Anyway why don't you have a look at this

Comes with Windows, 3rd Gen i5, No dedicated GPU, weighs about 2kg, 14 inch screen, Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0 ports,and all the other ports you require :)
HP Pavilion G4 Series G4-2036TU Laptop (Sparkling Black) (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7HB): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

Cheaper option, but bigger (15.6inch) and heavier with no Windows. Rest same.

*www.flipkart.com/hp-2000-2116tu-la...H4NE&ref=1aa9889c-e378-4dc5-b752-6c82dea8741d

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
It HAS TO BE very robust. Build quality cannot be compromised.

A thinkpad would be your best bet.

It should be able to run 18-hrs a day (with AC plugged in, but I've heard that battery life gets hampered by that. Solution?) and ~4hrs on battery.

60-40 (battery-charge) No zero drop.

Should be decently powered: at least 2nd gen i5 () (preferred 3rd gen i5, but price is the bottleneck)

Go for 3rd gen if dGPU isn't there, otherwise doesn't really matters.

SVE14112EN : E Series : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India (My first love! Sadly no i5 version without dedicated graphics. Battery backup? Trackpad?

Don't go below i5, rather go for i7 if you can. (Your apps demand that) Battery back up is upto your expectations, track is pad also fine.

Any solution for getting this in India?

SNS/ICC/friend

Is it possible to get such a laptop which can let me do everything that my desktop allows (and only do the RS-232/LPT Port work on desktop) at that price?

Yes.

I was also being advised to upgrade my desktop (for around 15-18k) and buy a netbook at another 20k! Radical but last solution

Much better option if you can chuck the portability factor.

PS: The link of thinkpad directs to probook :p

Comes with Windows, 3rd Gen i5, No dedicated GPU, weighs about 2kg, 14 inch screen, Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0 ports,and all the other ports you require :)
HP Pavilion G4 Series G4-2036TU Laptop (Sparkling Black) (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7HB): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

+1

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Thanks a lot randomuser111 and dashing.sujay for your quick replies!:)

That seems to be a really good option. I'll personally go and see in the shop if it feels good w.r.t. build and material! "Sparkling Black" is not "welcoming" though!:lol: Nevertheless, if quality and features are good enough, looks can be compromised in case!

Cheaper option, but bigger (15.6inch) and heavier with no Windows. Rest same.

HP 2000 2116TU Laptop 3rd Gen Ci5/2GB/500GB/DOS: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook
Yup, goes in my list, but the previous option gets priority.

A thinkpad would be your best bet.
Exactly! There's one with the required config, and in budget (minus USB 3.0)
(sorry for the wrong link!) Here is the correct link!
And suppose that if I buy the Sony Vaio SVE14116FXB in US, what are the risks and what care/precaution should I take for bringing it safely in India and get full advantage of the warranty? Any sticky/article would also do!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
And suppose that if I buy the Sony Vaio SVE14116FXB in US, what are the risks and what care/precaution should I take for bringing it safely in India and get full advantage of the warranty? Any sticky/article would also do!

Sony does gives international warranty, but its *limited*, in what way, I can't say. Contact them. SNS/ICC would do it "safely" at their charge. (+customs)

Sorry, but, I didn't really get you...

Tips to maintain battery. Zero drop = Its not suggested to zero the battery of laptops.

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Thanks, dashing.sujay! I'll do some research on SNS/ICC now (yet to figure out what they really are! LOL, so dumb of me!) and will ask further!

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Thanks again!
I just had a conversation with my father and he's strictly against importing the items! So seems that the "Dream" SVE14116FXB will stay in the Dream State!:|

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
^
May I know why you like the Vaio ? The HP model has 3rd gen i5 whereas the Vaio only comes with 2nd gen i5.
  1. Build quality
  2. More on RAM and HDD (not really deal breaker)
  3. Much better Webcam (again, not a deal breaker, but counts)
  4. Looks
  5. Backlit Keyboard
  6. Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Home Basic
And plus when I saw the Indian version of the similar product, I literally fell in love with it.
But Third Generation i5 should beat the above points, I presume. What do you think?
p.s. I'm yet to get the feel of the HP laptop. But one similar HP laptop of my friend (some G6 with 1GB AMD Radeon) didn't feel Special or Premium, though bought for ~41k. The entire material was plastic'y, glossy (fingerprints were being glorified) and was showing play at various surfaces.

Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
Hmmmm ;)

I understand. The new E series looks SOOOO cool!!! A friend of mine is buying the Vaio E model you linked, so I had gone to check it out and I fell in love with it too .The design is so cool, the keyboard is good, touchpad is good. And the screen too much better than others in the range.

Why don't you increase your budget and get the 3rd gen i5 Vaio E ?

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
@randomuser111, well, I thought 48k was too much. If it was somewhere near 40-41k, I could understand. (since it doesn't have a dedicated graphics). One of the reasons for the price difference may be inclusion of Windows 7 Professional (which is not required to me, since I'm happy with even Windows 7 Home Basic). I asked to a retailer and he said Sony doesn't allow ANY kind of customisation. So, the choices again become limited.

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
^
How does 45500 sound for the 3rd gen i5 model ? ;)
Seems better than 49k! :mrgreen:
But still much more than the HP you'd suggested!:-(
SVE14115FNB for 44600
SVE14113ENB for 41900 with i5 2450M.
What are these prices? Flipkart?
The models you told have only following differences:
15FNB has Win7 Home Premium + 640GB HDD MRP Rs 47,990 /-*
13ENB has Win7 Home Basic + 500GB HDD MRP Rs 44,990 /-*
*: on official Sony Vaio India site.
Now I was simply wondering why can't I get the same product (Let's say SVE14113ENB) WITHOUT the dedicated graphics! And (I'm a noob in this field, but) I believe the AMD Radeon™ HD 7550M graphics they have isn't "switchable" (unlike NVIDIA Optimus™ Technology) and thus will continuously drain battery and will degrade the battery backup of the laptop. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

The new E series looks SOOOO cool!!! A friend of mine is buying the Vaio E model you linked, so I had gone to check it out and I fell in love with it too
Hey, which Vaio are you exactly talking about? I believe you're talking about the SVE14112ENB and NOT SVE14116FXB!

randomuser111

Technomancer
Yes I was talking about the indian model.
And no, all models have switchable graphics.

And those prices are not flipkart prices, they dont go that low. If you wanna buy any sony model I can get you good discount as I posted.

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Hi again! I've kind of reconsidered and narrowed down my requirements in short:
  • ~40k INR (+/- 2k)
  • 3rd Generation i5 Processor
  • Genuine Windows
  • Dedicated graphics: avoid if possible, HD4000 is enough for me
  • Any brand would do

I hope you'll again help me search a few options!:)

Top Bottom