Confused about moving from Desktop to Laptop. Help needed!

RON28

Cyborg Agent
14R is also good with GT 640M, I think this graphic card might help you in future even if you are satisfied with IGP.

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
14R is also good with GT 640M, I think this graphic card might help you in future even if you are satisfied with IGP.

Hi! I thought Inspiron 14R has an option of NVIDIA GT630M and NOT 640M.
Look at this link.
And how good is GT630M as compared to others? Can you tell me about AMD Radeon HD 7550M? (I'm getting the AMD option in Sony Vaio E-series at 42k)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Hi! I thought Inspiron 14R has an option of NVIDIA GT630M and NOT 640M.
Look at this link.
And how good is GT630M as compared to others? Can you tell me about AMD Radeon HD 7550M? (I'm getting the AMD option in Sony Vaio E-series at 42k)

630M is absolutely fine for you. And the the Vaio is supposed to have 7650 instead of 7550 as you said, IIRC

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there any 14R with HD 7730M? or only 15R has it?

AMD graphic cards are crazy fast with Photoshop CS6 filters via OpenCL.

astro

Broken In
Swaroop, I am still not able to understand what is the main reason for you to move to a latop. If your desktop is weak, why not upgrade it or get a new one ? The only reason most folks buy a laptop is because laptops are portable. Apart from that, I don't see any reason why you should get a laptop. Or am I missing something here ?

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Swaroop, I am still not able to understand what is the main reason for you to move to a latop. If your desktop is weak, why not upgrade it or get a new one ? The only reason most folks buy a laptop is because laptops are portable. Apart from that, I don't see any reason why you should get a laptop. Or am I missing something here ?

Hi, Astro! It all started when my aunt said she'd gift me a laptop/tablet. Recently I bought an Android phone (Xperia Neo V) so I'm not very keen to get another battery-hogging good-for-nothing device, so obviously I thought I'd go for a laptop.

I respect your thought! You really understood the main concern of the thread from my PoV! I'm damn confused with the issue: "I'm offered a laptop, but I can't see it sitting idly in my cupboard due to heavy use of the desktop (which neither is in a VERY BAD state. Loads Google Chrome in 10-20sec)"!

Question: Can anybody compare the Real World Performance of Pentium Dual Core E5300 + 1GB DDR2 800MHz with i3-2370M or i5-2450M laptops?

Then I'm also thinking of (if I buy a powerful-enough laptop), I'd simply plug the desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse to the laptop. And whenever I wish to use the portability, unplug everything. What say?

I'd be happy to discuss about the point Astro made instead of just different models of laptops. I'm really sorry if my first post made initial impression that I'm only seeking a discussion on different laptop models.

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
630M is absolutely fine for you. And the the Vaio is supposed to have 7650 instead of 7550 as you said, IIRC
Alright! Just I'm not sure whether dedicated graphic cards directly decrease the battery life of the laptop? (I'm a noob in graphics/switchable/Optimus part!) Because Sony shows a model without dedicated graphics with 4.5hrs of battery backup and with HD 7550 (as you said, in real is HD 7650, yet to verify) gives 3hrs. Does it really hamper so much?

Let me confuse you more.. Wait until October 26.. Microsoft surface is coming
Haha, yeah, I've seen the Windows Surface ad (the ad rOcKs!). Pretty luring! But can't be your primary device as yet!
Is there any 14R with HD 7730M? or only 15R has it?
AMD graphic cards are crazy fast with Photoshop CS6 filters via OpenCL.
14R with NVIDIA and 15R with AMD. Not customisable in that sense!:-?

^Get a laptop, get a life. :)
:wink: Right now I'm in Self-Brought confused life!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Alright! Just I'm not sure whether dedicated graphic cards directly decrease the battery life of the laptop? (I'm a noob in graphics/switchable/Optimus part!) Because Sony shows a model without dedicated graphics with 4.5hrs of battery backup and with HD 7550 (as you said, in real is HD 7650, yet to verify) gives 3hrs. Does it really hamper so much?

Yes. But switchable graphics does its works aptly. My Vaio has 6630M and gives approx 3:30 to 3:45 back up after 9 months when using HD3000, but only 2hrs or +/-15min when using 6630M.

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Yes. But switchable graphics does its works aptly. My Vaio has 6630M and gives approx 3:30 to 3:45 back up after 9 months when using HD3000, but only 2hrs or +/-15min when using 6630M.

That's great! And how do we check whether a graphics is switchable or not?
And 3:30hrs+ for FullHD is great!

By the way, this isn't actually related to the discussion, but I read on notebookcheck that if the notebook has Optimus in it, the 3D Vision capability of GT 6xxM graphics is disabled! Why!! And again, is the Optimus (same as ability to switch between dedicated and integrated graphics?) dependent on the laptop manufacturer?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

I used to get 4:30hrs initially. If the laptop has switchable graphics, it'll mentioned in its specifications for sure. And nearly every laptop comes with it now a days.

By the way, this isn't actually related to the discussion, but I read on notebookcheck that if the notebook has Optimus in it, the 3D Vision capability of GT 6xxM graphics is disabled! Why!!

Can't say.

And again, is the Optimus (same as ability to switch between dedicated and integrated graphics?) dependent on the laptop manufacturer?

Yes and No. Developer companies (nVidia & AMD) make it, how good they are, and manufacturers implement them (y/n). Also, drivers are the key point here, optimus taking the lead here.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
tl;dr

you can consider buying a docking station, dell has few models with parallel port and serial ports along with vga and other connectors.

you can connect all your devices to this docking station and just dock the laptop, when on move just detach your laptop and go mobile :)

randomuser111

Technomancer

By the way, this isn't actually related to the discussion, but I read on notebookcheck that if the notebook has Optimus in it, the 3D Vision capability of GT 6xxM graphics is disabled! Why!! And again, is the Optimus (same as ability to switch between dedicated and integrated graphics?) dependent on the laptop manufacturer?

Yes currently there seems to be some conflict between Optimus and 3D vision. Just curious, why is 3D vision important to you ?

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Yes currently there seems to be some conflict between Optimus and 3D vision. Just curious, why is 3D vision important to you ?

Hi! My B.E. project was about replicating the 3D Vision on normal CRT monitors by capturing live images using two cameras and I'd also made my own 3D shutter glasses. It was all achieved quite wonderfully! Now if I'm anyway thinking of getting a laptop with NVIDIA graphics and 3D monitors such as this one are so damn cheap, I'd definitely love to experiment on it! :) (nothing crucially important though!)

Can we expect the conflict to be resolved soon?

Also I'd like hear your comments on that monitor whose link I've posted. But probably it'll be needed to be posted in some other thread.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
Well hope so but nothing can be said for sure. This issue has not been solved since more than a year now. So don't really know when Nvidia will fix the issue.

And that monitor is decent enough. Don't expect wonderful 3D experience though. For the price its good enough though.

OP
S

swaroop.b

Broken In
Thanks a lot for the inputs! :)
By the way, is it easy enough to manually switch from dedicated to integrated graphics, provided that
a) Optimus technology is present in the laptop (Vision3D is thus not possible)
b) Optimus is absent (Vision3D is present)

Top Bottom