Conflicker.C Worm is Going to Strike again on 1st April 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrintech

Technomancer
Conflicker.C Worm is Going to Strike again on 1st April 2009

A variant of Dangerous Conflickr Worm, know an Conflickr.C, is Going to Strike Again on 1 April 2009. Check out following Image to view How this Worm Attacks Computers (Click to Enlarge):

*i43.tinypic.com/1551e8k.png

According to Snopes, on April 1, each infected computer in the botnet will call home and ask for conflicker C instructions. Some people speculate that a big catastrophe will occur, with millions of computers down and the Internet disabled similar to the predictions of the infamous Y2K. The fact is nobody really knows what will happen, we have to watch and find out.

Read More Here

:arrow:Removal Instructions/Tools and Important Links / Information

* *www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx

* *www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-112203-2408-99&tabid=3

* *www.f-secure.com/v-descs/worm_w32_downadup_al.shtml

* *support.microsoft.com/kb/962007

Last edited:
OP
M

mrintech

Technomancer
I hate April 1st. You just can't tell whether someone is joking or telling the turth. :|
Nope I read this in one of the Tech Magazine too,

You all can check out: *www.news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=conflicker+worm*www.news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=conflicker+virus&as_qdr=w&as_drrb=q&cf=all ;)

Just wanna share so that you all can update security products and update to any patches/important updates ;)

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
BRING IT ON:cool::cool:*tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:obZewNuV7pbLdM:*www.ihearyasureyado.com/store/item_images/No_Fear5.jpg:cool::cool: I AM PREPARED

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
s. its serious. norton & macfee already prepared wit a removal tool.. so download it & scan on 1st week april.. also, pcworld has an article & informed in its march edition..

OP
M

mrintech

Technomancer
Precautionary Steps

Taken from Here: *www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/Conficker

Steps

Take the following steps to help prevent infection on your system:

• Enable a firewall on your computer.
  • Get the latest computer updates for all your installed software, including Security Bulletin MS08-067.
  • Use up-to-date antivirus software.
  • Use caution when opening attachments and accepting file transfers.
  • Use caution when clicking on links to web pages.
  • Protect yourself against social engineering attacks.
Enable a firewall on your computer

Use a third-party firewall product or turn on the Microsoft Windows Internet Connection Firewall.
To turn on the Windows Firewall in Windows Vista

1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.
  2. Click Security.
  3. Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
  4. Select On.
  5. Click OK.
To turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP

2. Click Network and Internet Connections. If you do not see Network and Internet Connections, click Switch to Category View.
  3. Click Change Windows Firewall Settings.
  4. Select On.
  5. Click OK.
Get the latest computer updates

Updates help protect your computer from viruses, worms, and other threats as they are discovered. It is important to install updates for all the software that is installed in your computer. These are usually available from vendor websites.

You can use the Automatic Updates feature in Windows to automatically download future Microsoft security updates while your computer is on and connected to the Internet.
To turn on Automatic Updates in Windows Vista

2. Click System and Maintainance.
  3. Click Windows Updates.
  4. Select a setting. Microsoft recommends selecting Install updates automatically and choose a time that is convenient for you. If you do not choose Automatic, but you choose to be notified when updates are ready, a notification balloon appears when new downloads are available to install. Click the notification balloon to review and install the updates.
To turn on Automatic Updates in Windows XP

2. Click System.
  3. Click Automatic Updates.
  4. Select a setting. Microsoft recommends selecting Automatic. If you do not choose Automatic, but you choose to be notified when updates are ready, a notification balloon appears when new downloads are available to install. Click the notification balloon to review and install the updates.
Use Strong Administrator Passwords

Microsoft also recommends that users ensure that their network passwords are strong to prevent this worm from spreading via weak administrator passwords. More information is available here.
Use up-to-date antivirus software

Most antivirus software can detect and prevent infection by known malicious software. To help protect you from infection, you should always run antivirus software that is updated with the latest signature files. Antivirus software is available from several sources. For more information, see *www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/vista.mspx.
Use caution when opening attachments and accepting file transfers

Exercise caution with e-mail and attachments received from unknown sources, or received unexpectedly from known sources. Use extreme caution when accepting file transfers from known or unknown sources.
Use caution when clicking on links to web pages

Exercise caution with links to web pages that you receive from unknown sources, especially if the links are to a web page that you are not familiar with or are suspicious of. Malicious software may be installed in your system simply by visiting a web page with harmful content.
Avoid downloading pirated software

Threats may also be bundled with software and files that are available for download on various torrent sites. Downloading "cracked" or "pirated" software from these sites carries not only the risk of being infected with malware, but is also illegal. For more information. please see our article 'The risks of obtaining and using pirated software'.
Protect yourself from social engineering attacks

While attackers may attempt to exploit vulnerabilities in hardware or software in order to compromise a system, they also attempt to exploit vulnerabilities in human behavior in order to do the same. When an attacker attempts to take advantage of human behavior in order to persuade the affected user to perform an action of the attacker's choice, it is known as 'social engineering'. Essentially, social engineering is an attack against the human interface of the targeted system. For more information, please see our article 'What is social engineering?'.

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
Mrintech, dude, it's not conflickr. It's conficker. (I call it ficky :D)

Anyhow, I'm prepared. Bring it on! I saw this on avast's website:-
source:*www.avast.com/eng/about-april-1st.html

avast! is ready for 1 April; are you?

April 1st is a date often targeted by the creators of malware and this year will be no exception. There are currently a lot of reports in the media about potential new virus threats and speculation about the potential impact of new viruses such as the Conficker worm. However, provided your computer’s operating system and your avast! antivirus are up to date, the risk is very small and there is no need to be unduly concerned.

To ensure you are protected against any potential new malware threats, before March 31st you should make sure that your antivirus program and virus definitions are completely up-to-date and that you have installed all available Windows security updates. We recommend checking that avast! is set to update itself and the virus database automatically – to check this, right click your avast! a-ball in the bottom right corner of your screen, select “Program settings” and then “Update (Basic)”. Here you should make sure that the virus database is set to “automatic”.

Also, whenever you switch on your computer, make sure that avast! is actually running. Some viruses are designed to specifically target antivirus programs and to turn them off, however avast! contains strong self-defense which is designed to prevent this. If avast! is running, you should see the normal blue a-ball in the bottom right corner of your screen. If it is switched off, it will contain a circle with a red line through it.

And finally, make sure that you have the latest Windows security updates. In particular, the Conficker worm takes advantage of a Windows vulnerability which Microsoft fixed in late 2008. Users of Windows Vista or XP (SP2 and higher) should have had this update installed automatically.

Also, another security tip for all:-
Disable Autorun!
XP users should run gpedit.msc. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative templates. Click on system. Double click on Turn off autoplay. Enable it for all drives.

Vista users should go to Autoplay Policies in Administrative Templates in the group policy editor as stated above.

OFFTOPIC: How come you removed Goku's picture??? And what's with that wise young hen??? :D

Last edited:

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I know a bug is there on one of my Desktops, though I ain't sure whether it is the conflicker and the rest of my Desktops are patched. I gonna watch what that parasite is going to do on 1st April :D.

I know a bug is there on one of my Desktops, though I ain't sure whether it is the conflicker and the rest of my Desktops are patched. I gonna watch what that parasite is going to do on 1st April :D.

hackers always say that it was the old computer lying in the corner unnoticed that
always
grants
access to the whole network
im suspecting something to happen politically as always circumstances like this and under sea cable cut are used as cover for something else important happening

OP
M

mrintech

Technomancer
OK, I have a friend with Norton 2009. He is extremely careful. How do I ensure that it strikes him ?
When it striked earlier How many people were sure who got infected like hell??? ;) No one can tell what it will do, what sort of computer/network it will strike and what will be it's after effects.... ;)

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
When it striked earlier How many people were sure who got infected like hell??? ;) No one can tell what it will do, what sort of computer/network it will strike and what will be it's after effects.... ;)

I have updated my Zone Alarm 7 just now. Can it bypass the firewall too?? :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom