Computer is not Booting from Xp CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

chintan786

In the zone
Hi Friends,

I am going through strange and terible problem..

1. My computer have Win Xp OS .. and from my Pen Drive it get many virus.

2. Some times back I bought new Lappy and I Cleaned my PD now...

3. the Problem I am facing with my desktop....Due to virus it doesn't get open..and was showing warning on desktop....it was not able to boot from CD even.

4. I tried to format the drive but Delete key and F1, F2 and other keys also stopped working.

5. Later on I installed Ubantu 8.10 on my comlete hard- Disk.. and then tried to install Win Xp again through the CD..

6. Now the problem is.. it is neither showing me Ubantu , nor detecting the CD in in Hard Drive.. showing some problem Grub 1.22

Plz tell me wht to do... I think I lost my HD....

Plz Help ,

thanks in Advance,

Chintan

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
take ur hard disk & put in the another system and check the HARDDISK STATUS on the DRIVES

going in to =>run-> cmd -> type "chkdsk"

then try formatting from another system completely

If u r hard disk is seagate then download the hard disk manager and try formatting from the UTILITY

OP
C

chintan786

In the zone
Thanks damngoodman,

but the thin is my computer itself is not getting boot up from HD.. showing me some error like Grub 1.22.... plz wait....

it is neither detecting Ubantu cd nor Win Xp one..

Flake

Linux User
I think you have remove Ubuntu Partitions but GRUB is still there in MBR. Windows Installation CD doesn't work because of GRUB in a few machines. Its a GRUB/BIOS compatibility problem.

Does machine boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD? In case it does, you can execute dd command to wipe whole Harddisk including MBR and partition table. Your Hard disk will be blank as brand new after executing dd command.

Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

Sorry to bump in to your thread chintan786, but my friend too is facing the same prob.

XP was not booting, so just as backup to edit some docs, etc. I gave him Ubuntu 9.04.

But instead of running it on live, he installed it. |

There are (obviously) 2 options in GRUB, one for XP (which doesn't boot) and the remaining for Ubuntu.

Now, when I set the XP CD to boot (as I changed the device priority from BIOS), it refuses to boot from it. It skips the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD...." screen and comes to GRUB menu. :|

The Ubuntu CD is booting though.

Do I have to do as you said in the above post?

OP
C

chintan786

In the zone
I think you have remove Ubuntu Partitions but GRUB is still there in MBR. Windows Installation CD doesn't work because of GRUB in a few machines. Its a GRUB/BIOS compatibility problem.

Does machine boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD? In case it does, you can execute dd command to wipe whole Harddisk including MBR and partition table. Your Hard disk will be blank as brand new after executing dd command.

Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

thanks ghost,

will try this and let u know.. last time when i tried ubantu cd to boot from... it showed me plz wait... for long time ... will try again..and all of u know.

chintan

rocky_om

Sys***** IBM India.......
Connect your HDD to another system and with disk management delete all the partitions.
Now connect the HDD back . Now try to install XP.

Or use tool like Hiren's BootCD for partitioning tools to delete all partitions.
If still not working remove and put back your Motherboard battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom