Compressing files to the lowest possible value

Status
Not open for further replies.

julius43

Right off the assembly line
i wan to compress files to the lowest possible value.for eg a 100 mb file to be reduce to 20 or 30 mb...is it possible if so how??? plz guys whoever is out der i will be very grateful if u can help me out.

ps: m using winrar and izarc if other software are der plz suggest.thnks

ThinkFree

Technomancer
7 ZIp gives the best compression(7zip format) of all the freewares but is a little slow. But you can't get that much compression for images,movies etc.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
It depends upon da type of file u r compressing , best compression ratio is for KGB archiver and Winuha

The CyberShot

Broken In
Actually no program can guarantee you 80-90% comperssion ratio. It all depends on the files you are compressing. Text files(*.txt), MsWord document files, etc. can be compressed a lot while JPEG files, GIF files and other popular non vector graphics files wont be compressed to a great extent. You must have noticed that in many games(also in Digit's CD's/DVD's) which are distributed in ZIP or RAR formats have a good amount of comperssion ratio. Its because they have a lot of information in ASCII(text, code, symbols, etc.) in many files they contain and the fact that there are a lot of files in them and a minimum of MPG, JPEG, GIF, etc. files.

While the best program I know about is WinRAR, 7-Zip is also good.

I hope this info has been useful to you. :)

Here are some EXTREMELY USEFUL links for your furthur information:
(Usefullness in their respective order)

1. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression
2. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Compression_ratio.svg
3. *answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=749492
4. *www.maximumcompression.com/data/summary_mf.php
5. *www.chin.gc.ca/English/Digital_Content/Capture_Collections/Sub_sections/fnd_file_compression.html
6. *www.google.com/search?hl=en&client...result&cd=1&q=file+compression+ratios&spell=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom