complicated upgrade...pls help

spm

Journeyman
I need to upgrade my system for running cad and designing software. The current system is really old and its
P4 2.2Ghz, MB gigabyte 845gv, 512+256MB DDR, 80+40 IDE HDD, samsung ODD, monitor Samsung b1930. Its perfectly working and am writing this from the same rig. but its slow for cad.
So basically i need a proccy, MB, RAM, PSU and also need to know if i would require a dedicated GPU.
sorry for editing the post. will use the existing HDD for now and will buy new one later.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Cad softwares like autocad, Pro-E, autodesk Inventor, Catia and so on, Movies, Internet

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes, thats why am here

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Rs 12k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: anything above 250GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Got a samsung B1930 (max res 1360x766)

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: needs ur advice whether i should wait for the AMD fusion desktop version which will be out by next month or should i go with current products.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: If its possible in my budget.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: I have a monitor, ODD, case

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Am from pathanamthitta in kerala. Can buy from kollam. can also try online shops if u

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
12k is a bit less for an upgrade a machine intended to run cad. a dedicated GPU will offer good performance but within 12k, it won't come. save a bit more (15k+) then at least the upgrade will offer performance worth the cost. or if you can't increase your budget, will have to go with the integrated graphics.

Fusion won't come before July & even then starting price mayn't justify its performance.

manujohn

Journeyman
AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 4.3k
Gigabyte GA-785GMT-US2H @ 3.4k
G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNQ @ 1.1K
Seagate 7200.12 500GB/ WDC Blue 500GB @ 1.7k
FSP SAGA II 400W @ 1.7k

Total = 12.2k

Try adding a GPU later.. If you can wait then go for better Fusion proccys.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
i read that the fusion will have very powerful integrated graphics solution so i thought it would suit my need if it is well priced. can u guys verify this thing and tell me if fusion would suit me for this budget. is it worth the wait.
also i have two ide drives and i can i use the 80 GB drive with the system. will it be a serious bottleneck.

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD fusion desktop processors are gonna released in June as per different news. But I don't think they are gonna come cheaper and can be accommodated your budget. You have to stretch it a little.

And yes, you can add maximum of 2 IDE drives on that motherboard. Chance of bottleneck is low. Also get the FSP SAGA II 500W @ 2.1K. It is a bit future proof if you are gonna add a dedicated graphics card in future.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
thanks @cilus...
i intend to add a dedicated GPU later...
BTW to get a good fusion platform how much i would need to stretch that budget..
and as far as the HDD is concerned so now i will use the existing HDD and upgrade the HDD later. so that too spares some money to be spent on other components.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I can't comment on the pricing of Fusion platform right now.
IF you wanna spend the extra money then get a Phenom II X4 955 @ 6.4K or get AM3 motherboard based on 8XX chipset (880, 870 and 890). I think Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4.3K is a good choice.

Top Bottom