Compatability of a Power Supply ( SMPS) with a home UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-G

Broken In
Hi there ,

I wish to upgrade my smps( Navtech 450 W) and as regards that I am clueless as to whether my new SMPS would be compatible with my present home UPS ( Microtek 810 VA) , ie suppose I go for a 1000 W cooler master SMPS , do I have to upgrade my Home UPS / Inverter also .My home UPS / Inverter is of 810 VA rating .

I do not wish to upgrade my UPS/Inverter and as regards that I wish to know , what is the maximum wattage of SMPS which I can use on this UPS , without further upgrading my system config.

My system configuration is

AMD Athlon 64 2800 +
ASUS K8SMX( on board sound and graphics)
160 GB SATA hard Drive
2*512 MB Ram
CD writer
DVD writer

The reason I wish to upgrade is that my computer hangs a lot and I have been told by local experts that this is several times due to two reasons viz

1> Pirated copy of Windows XP and

2>Unreliable / Local power supply like Navtech et al .

I have replaced the pirated XP with a genuine one and I found that now my system doesn't hangs as frequently as it used to when it was running on a pirated version , but still once a day say it still hangs.

My most important concern is that How can I permanently get rid of system hangs and if riddance is not possible than what all can be done to minimise it ?

Thanks and regards.

mohsin_parwez

Broken In
You said that you have two (2) 512 MB RAM chips on your computer, most frequetly, they can be the source of trouble. Maybe the timings on your chips are mis-matched, or they are of different brands, have them checked out. If you replace the 2 chips with one DIMM of 1gb, that should eliminate your problem. The Second thing to check is your CPUs operating temperature, make sure that the heatsink is secured to the CPU and there is a thin layer of thermal paste on it. Make sure that your CPU fan is running properly

Also make sure that there is adequate airflow through your cabinet. Your power supply seems to be fine. I wouldn't rush to change it. The coolemaster and Anatek powersupplys cost a lot of money. Before making an investment, it would be wiser to check your system.

You can check the processor temp with some free utillities that you can download from the net eg. www.downloads.com, www.softpedia.com or something like that.

If there are no issues with the RAM and Cooling, then have a look at your drivers, make sure that you have the latest drivers for all the hardware that you are using. Since you are using a genuine copy of Windows, I suggest that you also ensure that you have all the lastest updates and Service Pack 2 for windows XP. Good luck

You can also reduce the load on the power supply by un-pluggin the CD-Writer cause you already have a DVD writer installed, so you can brun CDs and DVDs from the same drive...unless you really need it.

Don't buy into what your local dealers say. Most of the time these guys are really clueless. They don't have a systematic way of troubleshooting a system and just rush to replace components... Your system will hang sometimes, it happens to the best of them, there is no such thing as a HANG (CrASH) free computer. Not with windows, linux even OS X Crashes... if it crashes like 10 times a day, then you have a problem. Heck, even dumb phones hang sometimes!

OP
B

Big-G

Broken In
Thanks for your inputs Parwez.

Have checked the RAM , CPU temp et al .Everything is fine .Comp is always operated in an air conditioned room ( except during power failures , when it is running on inverter/ups mode ).

My main question still remains unanswered -

Would a SMPS of power rating ( 1000 w ) much higher than the inverter / UPS ( power rating 810 VA) run smoothly on my system ( whose actual power requirements are much less than 1000 W) .

mohsin_parwez

Broken In
In theory, it should since it will never be taxed to the full 1000 watts. But are you sure that its 1000watts? I mean insn't that over-kill?? cause you would hardly never use that kind of power!! Even with you computer taxed to the fullest, having a 1000w SMPS would not solve any problems, especially with crashing. I suggest you have a look in WikiPedia, they have a very good article on SMPSs and wattage, ratings and sort of stuff. You will have a much clearer picture of what actually happens. That way, you would be in a better position to decide wheather you should make an investment towards a 1000w smps.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@Big-G
A 1000W smps costa a bomb and could easily raise as high as 15k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U can run on it: a quad core, two ultra high end Gcards in SLi(8800 U), 4G, 4*HDD, 2* Opcal Drive etc.
Even todays most craziest 1~2 lac budgeted PC dun need 1KW PSU.
U can easily have a new system for dat.

As for ur configuration a normal 400w is sufficient.
But i suggest u to go for a 400W rated power safe or colorsit 400W PSu which will cost u 1.5k~2k.
That 400w rated power is much different from ur current unreliable 450W. The new 400W PSU can easily work with ur current UPS/Inverter.
An inverter is not recomented for a computer. But a sine wave seems to be of no problem.

Also a pirated system dun hang any more or less than an original copy. It may be due to some missing file or curruption which may occur in a while within 1yr from most windows reinstalls.

Also if u encounter constant BSOD[blue screen of death[, then it may be due to memory or mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom