The sequel to the critically acclaimed Company of Heroes, being developed by Relic. This time you play as a commander defending Mother Russia from Nazis in 1941, during humanity's darkest hour.
It was originally supposed to be published by THQ, but is now being by SEGA due to its bankruptcy and the sale of Relic.
Release Date: June 25, 2013.
Current status: Closed Beta.
PC Gamer has posted about Company of Heroes 2, which will be coming in 2013. Some details:-
- It’s set on the Russian front. You control the Soviets in their fight to repel the invading Nazi force.
- Snow plays a major part on the battlefield, falling and melting dynamically, and slowing your soldiers and tanks based on its depth.
- The game runs on the Essence 3 engine, the latest version of the graphics engine Relic have been updating and expanding upon for years.
- The cover system has been revamped, to function more realistically and allow soldiers to vault over obstacles.
- Line of sight plays a large tactical role, with the game’s fog of war based on what your soldier’s can actually see. Relic call this system “True Sight”, and it causes areas of the map to be grayed out and enemies within turned invisible by buildings, items of cover, or dropped smoke grenades.
- The Normandy landing that opened Company of Heroes (and Saving Private Ryan, one of its key inspirations), was the 23rd biggest battle of World War 2. “13 of the 15 bloddiest battles” happened on the Eastern front, points out Company of Heroes lead designer, Quinn Duffy. The game should represent those battles and their vicious scale, as much as it does minute infantry tactics.
- Just like the original, the scenery is highly destructible, and you’ll be given control of plenty of tanks and other explosive equipment. That includes barn-burning flamethrowers.
- There will be multiplayer, but Relic aren’t ready yet to talk about it.
- The game is due out 2013.
The original CoH redefined the genre, hopefully this game be unique as well. 2013 is gonna be big.