Compact PC using Mini ITX

prasadkumar013

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: On Linux I will be using Libreoffice, Scribus, Eclipse, QTOctave, Kicad, Bluefish, GIMP, Blender, Virtual Box, Openshot, Pitivi
On Windows 8 I will be playing GTA IV, NFS Shift (I will be rarely playing any games)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 25k-40k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Primary OS will be Linux (Ubuntu based distro. Will be mostly shifting between Linux Mint KDE, Cinnamon and Ubuntu).
Secondary OS will be Windows 8. Will be using Windows rarely(like twice/thrice in a month or so)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 GB(Sufficient because all the documents and pictures are in the cloud and my movies collection is in my external 2 TB WD Harddisk with USB 3.0 interface)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: Yes. Screen size below 22" with a resolution of 1920*1080 and 16:9 aspect ratio. HDMI is a must.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I don't want a optical drive. Postponing a discreet graphic card for now. I will get it after a while. Will be using my Logitech Wireless Combo MK220. Also
planning to use my Old 2.5" 500 GB harddisk. Even got 5.1 channel F&D speakers.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Never built one. But I will build myself under the guidance of an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Near Hyderabad. I am also open to buy things online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Shortlisted a configuration. I even mentioned the reason for choosing it. But having a little trouble getting the price under control :banghead:. Can anyone suggest any changes.

Processor- Intel Core i5-3550 3rd Generation Processor
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) (Selected this model due to support for USB 3.0, WiFi and Bluetooth )
Hard disk- WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX)
RAM- Corsair Memory-2GB DDR3 Memory (VS2GB1333D3) (64-bit versions of Linux are not stable. So sticking with 32 bit only)
PSU- Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600W(RS-600-PCAR-E3) (600W supply might be required when I get a graphic card)
Cabinet- Bitfenix Prodigy(BFC-PRO-300-KKXSK-RP) (Supports Mini ITX form factor and has enough space for a graphic card)
Monitor- BenQ E2220HD (Has 1920*1080 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio and has HDMI)

sggupta95

Broken In
IMO,since you won't play much games,you should do away with a graphic card altogether and get an amd apu.it will cost less,and could help with your budget.you can even get a somewhat lower wattage PSU.

OP
P

prasadkumar013

IMO,since you won't play much games,you should do away with a graphic card altogether and get an amd apu.it will cost less,and could help with your budget.you can even get a somewhat lower wattage PSU.

I don't have a good knowledge about AMD configuration. I have come across many reviews that these days AMD have good APU solutions which are even capable of offering descent gaming performance. Good AMD configuration needed. I need good performance in Video and Graphics rendering. Also needed inbuilt WiFi and Bluetooth with HDMI and USB 3.0.

TheLetterD

Will Power
I don't have a good knowledge about AMD configuration. I have come across many reviews that these days AMD have good APU solutions which are even capable of offering descent gaming performance. Good AMD configuration needed. I need good performance in Video and Graphics rendering. Also needed inbuilt WiFi and Bluetooth with HDMI and USB 3.0.

Here, this review might help you out: AMD A10 on Linux
The A10 is currently the best APU you can get, but its barely mid range, and its performance is close to an Core i3, NOT an i5.
I do not know if Video And Graphics rendering is helped by a better CPU or a GPU and if the GPU required can be a regular Gaming GPU or if you need those professional ones (eg. NVIDIA Quadro series)
Please clarify that, then I may be able to help you out!

and btw the Bitfenix Prodigy's pricing will be on the higher side, i.e 5.5-6K
If you feel thats a bit expensive check out the CoolerMaster Elite 120

OP
P

prasadkumar013

By the way,

Core i5 + Full HD HDMI + iGP + Virtual Box + 2GB RAM

:crazy::blink::unsure:

Yes. You are right. Can't go for more than 3.5 Gigs. Need to stick with 32 bit OS due to a few software restrictions. 64-bit Linux is not too stable in my experiences.

Naxal

Little Kid
Yes. You are right. Can't go for more than 3.5 Gigs. Need to stick with 32 bit OS due to a few software restrictions. 64-bit Linux is not too stable in my experiences.

Virtual system demands more RAM right ??

If x64 aint that stable, how does these web servers (thousands of website running) are offering VPS withg servers running linux and 32GB or 64GB RAMs ??

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Mini ITX cabinets are highly overpriced in India

No, Prodigy is a ITX chassis whose price is very good, actually, its cheaper than any other chassis of its class.

@OP: getting Z77 board and spending extra money on it makes no sense, unless you are getting it at a very cheap rate.
Try to find some H77 ITX board. You may contact Asus or Asrock. Last time I checked, both were selling some ITX chassis in India. A USB wifi + bluetooth is better and cheaper than investing on a board only because of the presence of bluetooth or/and wifi.

_AkasH_

Broken In
I'm using Ubuntu 64 bit and it's working fine, haven't faced any problem. I use it for torrenting and browsing only. Planning on setting up LAMP this weekend.

Top Bottom