Cleaning your Graphics Card

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Just bought this: *imageshack.us/a/img802/9489/mg0009d.th.jpgAn MSI R7770.

I am a cleanliness freak [CPU exclusive :D ] and keep my cabinet interior dustless, vacuuming, dusting it once a month, since my last PC went kaput due overheating owing to dust buildup on CPU heatsink and fan.

On my last GPU, a GT520, I used to take out the card and loosen the dirt using a paint brush and then vacuum it.

The R7770, i am afraid i cant do the above procedure as frequently due to its biggish size [actually i am afraid i may damage it :p ].

So i ask you, especially to those who have dual fan GPUs, How do you clean the fans, heat sink, and the PCB??

Broken In
Since you clean once in a month, simply use your blower to remove the dust. You could also use ear buds to reach the remote corners.:-D
Alternately you might open the heat sink assembly, clean it as much as you want. However to assemble it back you would need some thermal paste. So don't open unless you have thermal paste ready.

Be careful while using a blower, that creates a log of static which could easily harm your hardware. Alternatively, you can use cans of compressed air if you can find one.

Top Bottom