Chinese iPhone knock-off on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
tarey_g said:
This chinese phone is kickass , smaller,thinner , high res screen , 3mp camera. bye iphone.

Those who are crying that meizu copied iphone design(which allegedly copied prada) can cry even more because this phone is even better(and definitely will be cheaper) than the iphone.

IMO not only Meizu copies iphone design , it does it better . And it has windows . Sweet , like gx said tons of third party apps.

Great, what a reasonable comment , because LG prada does not have Multi touch thats why iphone is not a copy/inspiration . Ok good enuff , but now according to you it implies that because Meizu does not feature multitouch it can not be called a copy of iphone(which has multi t). Awesome.... but meizu looks a copy to me.

Definition Straight from the official MS haters dictionary.

macboys pwned again.......:D, and according to Arya himself, since M8 doesn't have multitouch it is not a copy of iPhone

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Multi-touch is a technology that Apple implemented in their phone first and want to get it patented. ..:: Free Radical ::.. said that "LG had filed a patent so that Apple could not get exclusive rights for multitouch." and so I said that "LG Prada does not feature Multi-touch, so I think they have a very very slim chance of stopping Apple from getting that patent."
This conversation was not about who copied whom. Please read carefully before commenting.

But yes, I do believe that Apple did not copy LG's concept and this is the reason for it:
aryayush said:
"Both phones have been in development for a long time and both have been kept in total secrecy until the official announcement. How in the world would either company be able to steal the other's ideas?

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
aryayush said:
This conversation was not about who copied whom. Please read carefully before commenting.
This thread is all about copying as Meizu miniphone itself is a copy/inspiration. So discussing abt who copied whom is inevitable.

aryayush said:
"Both phones have been in development for a long time and both have been kept in total secrecy until the official announcement. How in the world would either company be able to steal the other's ideas?
Are you totally new to the corporate culture, do you know that recently Tata firm caught a Reliance spy who was sending the confidential info to its real bosses . This is not new , this is how business is done. And Apple/LG are doing business, not charity.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
tarey_g said:
This thread is all about copying as Meizu miniphone itself is a copy/inspiration. So discussing abt who copied whom is inevitable.
I was talking about that particular piece of conversation which you quoted for the wrong reason. That particular comment was not about who copied whom.

aceman

Broken In
This was posted in someblog regarding this phone................and i second everything what this guys says.

Guys, learn how to read! The specs say "Windows CE 6.0" NOT Windows Mobile 6!

Windows CE 6.0 is the newest version of Windows CE and the OS in which future versions of the Windows Mobile platforms will be based. (WM7, WM8, WM9?) Windows Mobile 6 is a custom Windows CE based standard platform from Microsoft and is still based on Windows CE 5.0 (same as WM5).

If this were running Windows Mobile, it could not look as iPhone-like or even have the resolution it has! It would just look like every other Pocket PC. Windows CE is a general purpose embedded OS where Windows Mobile is an open consumer-targeted computer operating system/platform (like Windows XP) based on a Windows CE kernel. MS MUST enforce very strict hardware and software guidelines to ensure that any program written for this standard platform will run on any manufacturer's device. OEMs must also promise a minimum amount of devices and even sign a NDA to even work with the platform. Plain vanilla Windows CE, however, is not like this. Plain CE is more like Linux in that each OEM can add/remove components and edit the source code to make their own custom "distro" (platorm) of the OS. With it, the OEM has near complete freedom to modify/remove almost any OS component. (even support for graphics itself!) A very common problem encountered in the communitys of custom (non Pocket PC) Windows CE device owners is the complete freedom OEMs have to choose OS components. Often the same program that runs on one device will not run on another manufacturer's more limited implementation of the same CE OS version (without hacking) or the OEM forgot an to add an important core os component (like Soft Input Panel support) that many programs need to start!

While Embedded Windows CE is not a standard platform, as long as the OEM creates a decently complete implementation of the OS and by copying over a few Pocket PC compatability dlls, you can achieve pretty reasonable Handheld PC and Pocket PC compatability with it.
CE6 also adds even more Pocket PC comatability to the core OS such as cellcore support. (CE 4.2 added rather basic Pocket PC application/API support)

I'm amazed this thing is running CE 6 already! It just RTMed a few months ago! Then again, its not even a real photo...so who knows if they even ported it yet...

Seriously... How is this thing NOT better than the iPhone! I mean its not just a phone but a full Windows CE computer as well! The iPhone does not even allow you to install software!

The only problem I can see is finding drivers for Windows CE 6 itself. CE 6 is almost an entirely new kernel. It makes many breaking changes to core os components and things like drivers. MS claims that its still very backwards compatible on the application level,so hopefully that will not be broken too much. Since this OS is so new and the source of CE drivers for some addon hardware are the Windows Mobile platforms (Which are still using the pretty unchanged since CE1, 5.0 OS) that could be a minor issue also. Though, many companies are aware of CEs embedded\industrial use and do provide drivers.

Also, just so you know... Embedded Windows CE comes with a full port of Internet Explorer 6.0.
Its not that cut down Pocket IE/IE Mobile that comes with Windows Mobile. It also has most of the codecs available in desktop Windows Media player for OEMs to use

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Actually, his whole post has only one point to make against the iPhone and that is this: "The iPhone does not even allow you to install software!" and this point is absolutely untrue if taken at face value.
The iPhone will allow software to be installed, even third party ones. The catch is that, at present, every application will come through Apple, i.e. Apple will approve each software before it is made available.
Yes, I know that it is still a huge disadvantage but it is much better than no software. It might even turn out to be the better option for all we know. Let the phone be released and give it a run of six months. Who knows, we might see a lot of Apple approved high quality software for the iPhone.
I am not defending Apple's decision. I am just saying that it is too early to comment on it and saying that it won't allow any software to be installed is just plain wrong.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Actually, his whole post has only one point to make against the iPhone and that is this: "The iPhone does not even allow you to install software!" and this point is absolutely untrue if taken at face value.
The iPhone will allow software to be installed, even third party ones. The catch is that, at present, every application will come through Apple, i.e. Apple will approve each software before it is made available.
Yes, I know that it is still a huge disadvantage but it is much better than no software. It might even turn out to be the better option for all we know. Let the phone be released and give it a run of six months. Who knows, we might see a lot of Apple approved high quality software for the iPhone.
I am not defending Apple's decision. I am just saying that it is too early to comment on it and saying that it won't allow any software to be installed is just plain wrong.

Wasen't it steve jobs himself who said "iPhone doesn't allow any application installation" with a very lame & impossible reason "Cingular doesn't want there west cost network to go down due to an application" :D , this guy really has no idea how cellphone works

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
aryayush said:

^^ Why should everything be apple approved if its my iphone (we are not used to the idea) . How iphone gonna get homebrew games/programs (mostly free, and even better than the paid ones) which are very popular, not every programmer on the corner is EA to get his games approved (or applications) for the iphone. And if this is the case why would anyone give a damn.

iphone means less freedom and less options on the softwae side, i could recommend iphone to anyone just because of the looks , but why should anyone buy that phone now when a far better option with the same looks is available , and its gonna be cheap surely.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
it seems these days Apple is in dire need of money, they are charging $2 for a driver, when even the accountents said, they don't need to...they are gonna charge for bootcamp which they first said is gonna be free, & bundling with leopard, they charge for service packs (woops I mean new OS) every year....they charge for Mactels more then what they should

If every app has to be varified by Apple, then I guess it's Steve Jobs who decides what you can run & how much you have to pay :D, apps for iPhone is a new way for them to make money, no way they are gonna give it for free

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Some people enjoy being the butt of jokes!

gx_saurav said:
Wasen't it steve jobs himself who said "iPhone doesn't allow any application installation" with a very lame & impossible reason "Cingular doesn't want there west cost network to go down due to an application" :D , this guy really has no idea how cellphone works
He said this:
"That doesn't mean there's not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn't mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment."
I am sure you can understand simple English.
And yeah, his excuse for the iPhone not supporting third party software directly was hopeless and he sounded naive.

gx_saurav said:
it seems these days Apple is in dire need of money, they are charging $2 for a driver, when even the accountents said, they don't need to...they are gonna charge for bootcamp which they first said is gonna be free, & bundling with leopard, they charge for service packs (woops I mean new OS) every year....they charge for Mactels more then what they should
It seems you believe every bit of rumour that is anti-Apple but turn a deaf ear to fact that are pro-Apple.

gx_saurav said:
they are charging $2 for a driver
They bundled 802.11n with Core 2 Duo Macs without even advertising the feature. Basically, what they are doing is upgrading your Mac to support 802.11n in just $2. Can you say that of any other manufacturer? And there's more, everyone who is buying the new AirPort Extreme base stations is getting the driver for free. Of course, you wouldn't want the driver anyway if you do not have a base station that supports it and at present, AirPort Extreme is the only base station in the market that supports the 802.11n Wi-Fi standard. All new Macs already ship with 802.11n enabled. Plus, the software's license clearly states that you can use it to enable 802.11n on "all computers under your ownership or control". The Apple Store page where you can buy the software from has several warnings that you should check whether you actually need the software or not. They are doing everything they possibly can so that you do not have to pay for the software. Basically, they are giving you 802.11n Wi-Fi capability on a Mac you already purchased free of cost. Shame on the people who can still find fault with this! *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

gx_saurav said:
they are gonna charge for bootcamp which they first said is gonna be free, & bundling with leopard
1. It is a rumour.
2. It is still going to be bundled free of cost with Leopard.
3. They might, according to a baseless rumour, charge for the final version of Boot Camp for users of Tiger.
4. You can still use the completely functioning, full-featured, non-expirable beta for free - even if the rumour comes true.

gx_saurav said:
they charge for service packs (woops I mean new OS) every year....they charge for Mactels more then what they should
Out of points, as usual, and have therefore resorted to saying the oft repeated, complete false and repeatedly pawned points.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: Some people enjoy being the butt of jokes!

Edit : Post deleted, why argue again on baseless points of macboys

1) It's compleately OK if Apple charges for a Driver update

2) It's compleately OK if Apple first says they will provide a software for free, & then say we wanna charge for it

3) it's compleately OK, if Apple doesn't allow application installation on iPhone, & they charge you even for a small application developed for iPhone. So much for controled enviroment :mad: , no one can make a small application now for iPhone if they need a feature

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

gx_saurav said:
2) It's compleately OK if Apple first says they will provide a software for free, & then say we wanna charge for it
e

Can you please link the press release where the company said they would charge for the software in question?

If not, then please stop spreading lies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

mail2and said:
Can you please link the press release where the company said they would charge for the software in question?

*img524.imageshack.us/img524/6475/picpy9.jpg :D

Sure, why not

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link n

P.S. - Better not devitate the thread from iPhone & copying. this is not fight club

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

gx_saurav said:
Sure, why not

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4
[/URL]

P.S. - Better not devitate the thread from iPhone & copying. this is not fight club

I am talking about a press release. If you did not understand it the first time, I meant an official statement by Apple. A press release is an official statement by a company stating a future course of action.

Can you please provide me a link that states Apple saying that they will charge money for a particular software?

What you have linked to are rumour reports, which do not justify what you said in your previous post.

As I said, stop spreading rumors and lies. As for deviating from the thread, the identity of the person acting as flame bait is self evident from previous posts in this thread.
^^ Why should everything be apple approved if its my iphone (we are not used to the idea) . How iphone gonna get homebrew games/programs (mostly free, and even better than the paid ones) which are very popular, not every programmer on the corner is EA to get his games approved (or applications) for the iphone. And if this is the case why would anyone give a damn.

Well, Symbian 3rd edition also requires applications to be 'signed' before they can be installed on the phone.

What developers do is that they send their program to Nokia, Nokia checks it for compatibility, and then issues a certificate to a developer, so that his program can be installed on multiple devices.

However, if you have an unsigned application, you can get it signed from symbiansigned.com. But, the catch is that it will install only on the phone whose IMEI number was provided while getting the application signed.

I think verification of applications is a very good idea. It provides security from viri that affect mobile devices. For example, Symbian 7.1 and 8.1 phones had lots of problems with viri. However, with application certificate security, OS 9.1 phones face no problems with viri.

It's too early to say if Apple will follow a similar model. We don't even know whether Apple will in fact allow any third party applications.

A judgement can be given only after more details emerge about the particular device in question.

In the mean time, I am more than happy with my Nokia E50 that came with Symbian 9.1, a 1.3 MP camera, EDGE, Bluetooth, 240x320 resolution, 235 mhz processor and 20 MB Ram. :) The fact that it is the slimmest Nokia Symbian device helps, too.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

@ andy

No press release so far, but a rumar doesn't comes on its own. Lets all wait & watch, if they do charge for it, your comment will be publically pwned.

mail2and said:
In the mean time, I am more than happy with my Nokia E50 that came with Symbian 9.1, a 1.3 MP camera, EDGE, Bluetooth, 240x320 resolution, 235 mhz processor and 20 MB Ram. :) The fact that it is the slimmest Nokia Symbian device helps, too.

I just saw it, the black model on Nokia website, not a multimedia phone & lacks the features that i would like, but a good bussiness phone....good enough for u, don't think you will need the camera much anyway :), the resolution of 240X320 is sweet, can u plz confirm weather it playes 320X240 pixel videos at full screen & landscape mode?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

gx_saurav said:
I just saw it, the black model on Nokia website, not a multimedia phone & lacks the features that i would like, but a good bussiness phone....good enough for u, don't think you will need the camera much anyway :), the resolution of 240X320 is sweet, can u plz confirm weather it playes 320X240 pixel videos at full screen & landscape mode?

What multimedia features are you talking about? It's got shortcut menus, so the music/video player is just a button push away. It's got the same music player that comes with all the OS 9.1 symbian phones. You can install third party players for artwork and other advanced features. It also syncs with most audio players on multiple platforms. AAC+/AAC/WMA/MP3 audio is supported. OGG audio can be played with a third party player. The only thing that it does not have is FM, which I am not too keen on anyways. My Philips FM player is enough to listen to Rainbow FM(All India Radio) at night.

Yes, I use SmartMovie and its freeware version, DivX player, to play 320x240 videos in landscape mode.

It's also got the same 235 mhz processor as other 9.1 phones.

It's also got Skype, so I can chat/call for free for 399 per month(or 49 per month with per MB usage charge).

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
arya said:
Can you show me some place where Apple said that Boot Camp will be free software
Better not devitate the thread from iPhone & copying. this is not fight club & this thread is not about bootcamp
What multimedia features are you talking about? It's got shortcut menus, so the music/video player is just a button push away. It's got the same music player that comes with all the OS 9.1 symbian phones. You can install third party players for artwork and other advanced features. It also syncs with most audio players on multiple platforms. AAC+/AAC/WMA/MP3 audio is supported. OGG audio can be played with a third party player. The only thing that it does not have is FM, which I am not too keen on anyways. My Philips FM player is enough to listen to Rainbow FM(All India Radio) at night.

Yes, I use SmartMovie and its freeware version, DivX player, to play 320x240 videos in landscape mode.

It's also got the same 235 mhz processor as other 9.1 phones.

It's also got Skype, so I can chat/call for free for 399 per month(or 49 per month with per MB usage charge).
No FM, bach gaya tu from Himesh Reshamiya :D

For a phone of Rs 11k, i would have expected 2mp camera, rest looks fine. & the 235 MHz CPU is ARM not the usual X86. There is no direct comparison.

Also, cool that u can play video at 320X240, i really miss that feature in my phone.

Your phone is worth buying :), just not as cool & sexy as a SE phone though :D in looks department

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom