Chinese CPU arrived.....

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Hey... I just came across this news today.....a multicore chinese CPU

Chinese high end CPUs are now in the game - details: Part 1 by VR-Zone.com

Loongson 3B - being an 8-core 1.05 GHz CPU, with each CPU having a 256-bit vector FP unit as well. Despite the low clock and 65 nm process, the efficient 4-way out-of-order cores and vector units with dual 256-bit FP ops per core per cycle, allow Loongson 3B to reach 16 GFLOPs per core at 1 GHz, some 130 GFLOPs peak FP rate in double precision at 1.05 GHz clock.

noob

Cyborg Agent
For a comparison, the 3.3GHz Core i7 3960X with AVX would achieve some 160 GFLOPs peak in DP, while the Westmere (Core i7 990X) and Bulldozer CPUs would be at not more than two-thirds of this - Core i7 990X is at 90 GFLOPs peak, and AMD FX8150 at some 110 GFLOPs peak, all in DP. And, oh yes, the Loongson 3B achieves this performance at just 40 watts TDP, less than one third of the above competing CPUs.
o_Oo ...

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey... I just came across this news today.....a multicore chinese CPU

Chinese high end CPUs are now in the game - details: Part 1 by VR-Zone.com

Loongson 3B - being an 8-core 1.05 GHz CPU, with each CPU having a 256-bit vector FP unit as well. Despite the low clock and 65 nm process, the efficient 4-way out-of-order cores and vector units with dual 256-bit FP ops per core per cycle, allow Loongson 3B to reach 16 GFLOPs per core at 1 GHz, some 130 GFLOPs peak FP rate in double precision at 1.05 GHz clock.

Chinese high-end? :confused:

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
I even think how high end is this....

But just wanted to share.....

China wants to be self dependent in every thing.... Hence they are developing their own computers.......

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
^ if that's true e-waste will tripple.
But we should not reach to any conclusion. Let the products hit the market.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
If you guys are making fun at the quality of Chinese chips, we should first think where we stand on the CPU front.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
matters in the server space, cheap desktop (running custom chinese linux distro) and maybe mobile too as seen in rockchip & a few huawei SOCs.

once windows starts support for ARM based chips, indian market may get flooded with el-cheapo lappies & desktops.

The chinese have made amazing progress with MIPS based CPUs. They are no joke. Cheap and low power while supporting several threads. Perfect for servers.

PS: now we know where all that DDoS comes from :D

Top Bottom