Cheap Mobile with WIFI

Rajesh345

Youngling
Hello all , i wanted to buy dad a Mobile phone for birthday present . Currently he is using Nokia 3110 classic

But i wanted to gift him a phone with WIFI , Email (gmail) , if possible Android [for Apps]

At present he is using phone for JUST telephone calls and messages

1. Budget?

5k Max -
2. Display type and size?

Any

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
Any

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Any Except Indian Brands

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Pref QWERTY

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Any [Dont need any /High M .Pxl costly camera]

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

Pref Android due to app support (he will surely benefit from Apps like way2sms for android and similar (YES , he sms alot )[But heard about low backup for below 10k phones [His usage is TELEPHONE CALLs +Message mainly (heavy call usage -Most of the time will be in telephone call (Business related )

-He should be getting full day Backup -Usage is again - JUST telephone calls , SMS [Wont be using Data/2g/3g/GPRS/WIFI/Bluetooth/Games/Music/ majority of the time

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
MUST - WIFI (dont need 3G )

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
Flash =Light ? will be added bonus
GPS=Not needed , if inclued =added bonus

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?

HEAVY TELEPHONE CALLS(business ) , and SMS & EMails (so QWERTY hardware keyboard is pref :) but , Virtual KEYboard is ok :(

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
NON -Indian Brands

12. Any other info that you want to share

A ) Should have good After service , dad is nokia fan due to its large customer support center around (so dont need to struggle for Warrently

B) Hardware QWERTY will surely benefit as he do lot of business sms and mails

C) Android will surely helps due to app support (which i wanted my dad to use , currently he use phone for call+sms ONLY)

lr7745

Broken In
Well, according to your dad's usage, the Nokia Asha 302 @6.2k is the best bet if he can stretch the budget by a little bit. Otherwise you could look at the Asha 310 or the Samsung Rex models. For non-desi androids, I don't think you'll get a decent phone at 5k.

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
Well, according to your dad's usage, the Nokia Asha 302 @6.2k is the best bet if he can stretch the budget by a little bit. Otherwise you could look at the Asha 310 or the Samsung Rex models. For non-desi androids, I don't think you'll get a decent phone at 5k.

Nokia Asha 302 Specifications - Nokia - India

checked it , But it does have QWERT & wifi so he will be able to email USING inbuild email client .Also looks good But S40 OS :(

--

If Going for Android which is the cheapest Android phone [LG/Samsung/etc ] what is the starting price range [Usage is said above so will he be able to get good backup for making calls ?[

Rex models

*www.flipkart.com/samsung-rex-60-c3...00bc8&srno=t_4&otracker=from-search&query=REX

*www.flipkart.com/samsung-rex-90-s5...00bc8&srno=t_2&otracker=from-search&query=REX

*www.flipkart.com/samsung-rex-80-s5...0bc8&srno=t_11&otracker=from-search&query=REX

Rex dual sim model is looking ok for my needs, currently searching for info about Rex samsung atm ,

Thank you

@all - if any1 purchased Rex models, can tell me battery backup with PHONE usage ?(Talk time) and laginess ?

edit
Samsung Rex 70 S3802 - have 10 MB free internal space - taught andoird cause of touchwiz

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
with Android battery backup will be a major headache. You can check Samsung Galaxy Chat. ships with QWERTY but asking price will be higher than Asha 302.

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
Better you buy a S40 phone that has Wi-Fi and supports whatsapp and hike.

Thanks for suggession all and @papul1993 ,ty but whatsapp is ok if other recipent were friend and family but for official purpose cant force business contact to download whatsapp

DO u know if S40 support gateway like way2sms using software like

*play.google.com/store/apps/details...rch_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInV0aWwuc21zIl0.

available for android , currently i am using this app to send sms for free to all those who dont have whatsapp softwaree

lr7745

Broken In
AFAIK services like way2sms are used from the net so whether the phone is S40 or android shouldn't matter. At least I clearly remember sending SMSs via way2sms on my old Star II. But I don't know about the availability of specific apps gor that.

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Thanks for suggession all and @papul1993 ,ty but whatsapp is ok if other recipent were friend and family but for official purpose cant force business contact to download whatsapp

DO u know if S40 support gateway like way2sms using software like

*play.google.com/store/apps/details...rch_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInV0aWwuc21zIl0.

available for android , currently i am using this app to send sms for free to all those who dont have whatsapp softwaree

My sis recently bought an Asha 311. Still searching for apps that can use way2sms to send sms. If you find any please PM me.

Hike let's you do that but it's very limited. Only a 100 or so per month.

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
I think i will go with Samsung Galaxy Y S5360

Its a Entry level android phone , and over priced than my orginal price still

-Android [Many APPS , esp- Apps for free SMS [Free SMS INDIA

+ Many other apps ,event thought less Internal Memory my dad wont need many apps

- Support , WIFI, Touch ,capacitive touchscreen,GPS etc
-Samsung - Good support compared to indian cheap brands

Negative - Android 2.3 [Doesnt matter to my dad ]

- If any know any online shops providing cheaper than flipkart and Cashon Delivery pls post ,

Date is very close , on 3rd next month :oops:

lr7745

Broken In
SGY has a horrible screen, if you can get the htc explorer you can take a look at it, too. Better screen+ Dev support, near price to SGY. Although both have pitiful internal memory.

Runjesh

Broken In
You cant get any android under 5000 houwever if u add 2000 more u can Xperia Tipo,which has all everything u want,in that price range it is better than all..

Top Bottom