Changing the BOOT Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

nithinks

True Techie
Hello members..
Im having win98 and XP in my system.. and i recently inastalled red hat linux(Enterprise edition 4) and now the default boot loader is linux, i mean.. in red hat's boot window it asks the options to choose one of the installed operating systems....
Can i change my boot loader from linux.. to windows...?
thanx.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Windows cannot recognize linux O/S and you will not see linux boot option in windows boot loader. Stick to linux boot loader. If you need the default boot to be windows, change the value for "default" to what is set to windows in the file /etc/grub.conf.

enjoy

Journeyman
Well it can be done

*gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Boot_from_Windows_Bootloader_(NTLDR)_and_why
*jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

S

SE><IE

Do you wanna remove linux?
If yes then my computer > right click > manage> disk management
IN the right hand pane you'll see partitions. Linux' will be shown as unknown. Just right click on your C: (I've assumed C: is you XP's partition) and select "mark as active partition"
Reboot and you will see XP's boot menu :D

OP
nithinks

nithinks

True Techie
SE><IE said:
IN the right hand pane you'll see partitions. Linux' will be shown as unknown. Just right click on your C: (I've assumed C: is you XP's partition) and select "mark as active partition"
No... i dont want to remove linux...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You'll lose the ability to boot into Linux from HDD if you switch to Windows bootloader I guess. You will need to use a CD/Floppy then...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@nithinks, Don't change your bootloader from Linux (GRUB) to Windows NTLDR.
Unless you want to remove Linux from your HD. Instead what you can do is make
Windows the default booting O.S. Which can be done by editing the '/boot/grub/menu.lst'
file.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
SE><IE said:

It won't work. If GRUB boot loader is installed and Linux partition is wiped out, the MBR records won't detect Linux...goes to GRUB Error Code 17 (Boot Failure).

OP
nithinks

nithinks

True Techie
JGuru said:
@nithinks, Don't change your bootloader from Linux (GRUB) to Windows NTLDR.
Unless you want to remove Linux from your HD. Instead what you can do is make
Windows the default booting O.S. Which can be done by editing the '/boot/grub/menu.lst'
file.
Ok.....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
What do you want to do? Make windows as the default choice by GRUB(linux boot loader) or boot linux with ntldr. And it's not so useful to install RHEL if you are gonna use the computer for day to day usage, fedora will be be better unless you have paid for RHEL.

S

SE><IE

It won't work. If GRUB boot loader is installed and Linux partition is wiped out, the MBR records won't detect Linux...goes to GRUB Error Code 17 (Boot Failure).
Thats why I told to mark the XP's partition as active. It works :)
Anyways, thats not what he's asking :D

dragonlord

Broken In
boot from some boot cd\floppy and do 'fdisk /mbr' , this will rewrite the windows boot loader to the MBR. No more GRUB. If u want linux minus GRUB, try lilo or some other 3'rd paty boot loader.
But, what's the idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom