Changing PC config need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I said exception only for the similarity in the h/w. sad that you are not able to understand that :)

and as I said, I made you explain exactly what I wanted you to explain. :)

I don't give a dime to whatever you say about brands blue blah blay and instead will simply take a look at your config and give a laugh :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Well my say...

I am not ashamed to go for brands, and I think they offer value for money. But that does not mean, I only go for the BRAND. I check out the product features, and if they are good, and bring a smile to my face -- I purchase.

It also clearly correlates how much importance I want to give to the device. For example, I am not a music buff (5.1 and all that jazz), so I am still using desi PROMAX speakers. But I am a gaming freak, so went for the highest ATI cards available at that time. I needed a fan controller, but was happy with a rs 600 local OEM, I could have ordered one for 4K too...!

Also reputation/research/past history with company/current offerrings count a lot. I will be purchasing a 24" monitor tomorrow. Could easily manage Acer/BenQ, but have read umpteen reviews (research) about dead pixels, DOA..so am going with DELL (past history with company).

There are some brands I always give the wide berth. There is a deep rooted reason for that. Example would be: Sony Erricson phones. Wow...! They make excellent phones, but I just do not like their interface, so never bought one. But I am also open for change. I always used Intel CPUs. But after trolling forums like this, my next CPU, 'might' just be an AMD. :)

When I go for a product I prioritize it like this:

1. How fond I am of that product. (This will clearly dictate my engagements levels for the below mentioned). Like I love my GPUs, PSU. Or I love watches.

2. What all is available by the different companies. (This takes care of functionality/feature rich, enhanced functions, compatability). These is very straight forward, linear process.

3. Once (2) is narrowed down upon, then I research parallel products. I.E from different companies, irrespective of brand. And research them out, ask friends, troll forums. This step usually takes the longest. Is the most fun too. This is very abstract, and perception driven. Most of our 'question seekers' are in this phase when they come here. They know what they want, for what they want, how much they want it for, but they just do know which to get. Confused...!

4. See if budget fits. And buy it. PRESTO....!

One can definately not say any of the below are true.

Should always go for brand or branded broducts are not good. It is too debatable to be generalized.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@asigh, that is a pretty good take on this.

If you take key components like mobo, ram, display, psu, will you take risk by not going for major players and for those who are new in the picture and just for a tiny amount extra, you have those brands that you always trust?

And will you recommend these lesser known brands to those who ask you to help them in getting a new PC. They might be reliable and bit cheaper. consider these as brands that you have never used and you have not yet heard about how their support structure is. Will you refer such brands to those who request your help?
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
also, by branded I mean the branded that have been there in the market for long enough that they have stable R&D and support infrastructure like gigabyte, corsair, acer, dell, sony etc.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ Yes true..but we cannot help that right. People come here on fixed budgets, and we have no choice but to recommend lower grade stuff -- though we do it reluctantly.

1. If you would have noticed, I usually play the devils advocate when people go all-guns recommending stuff. I always tell the other side of the coin, so they can choose. These way we are just providing information, and the OP can choose for himself.

2. If I ever recommend risky stuff (as per my views), I clearly mention it. "Yes you can use a one molex-->PCI.E 6 pin converter, but a 2 connector is always better, since the load is spread out."

3. I rarely recommend lesser known brands, but naming them. I just mention "2x2gb value RAM". They can do what they want. I do not want someone cursing me later on...!

Also their are the factor(s), "how critical would a low end part be to the system", in terms of performance and propagation of failure. I would be more comfortable recommending a 2nd grade monitor then a low grade PSU.

I follow a basic rule of thumb: Would I buy it. If it is NO ---> Give a warning and recommend.
:)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If you take key components like mobo, ram, display, psu, will you take risk by not going for major players and for those who are new in the picture and just for a tiny amount extra, you have those brands that you always trust?
Biostar is a trusted brand which in par with other brands that you have mentioned. its not as if mercury and kobian are being recommended here. You haven't used it and therefore you don't know anything about it. Don't try to feed to people's fear just to justify your "needs" to help others.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Biostar is a trusted brand which in par with other brands that you have mentioned. its not as if mercury and kobian are being recommended here. You haven't used it and therefore you don't know anything about it. Don't try to feed to people's fear just to justify your "needs" to help others.

LOL. Mega lol. yeah. as you say sir :)

Anubis

Courage to Know
No offence intended please

This thread is going in another direction.

Can we come back to the original topic posted by OP ? asigh , desiibond , The Sorcerer

I think we can settle this difference in a new thread ? Wat say guys ?

No offence intended please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom