changing partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
one fine day trying to save space i just allotted only 4.xgb for win xp home. now it is always low on space while other partions have plenty of it. any software to change the partitions without formatting? dont want to format.

phatratt

In the zone
don't panic.there are many thirdaprty software like partition magic which helps u in resizing,changing filesystem,etc.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Partition Magic is the best available out there.Has all the utilities for changing,merging,converting partitions.
But on the downside it is a paid software.
Buy it and u will never regret having spent tht money.

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
ankurgupta.me said:
Partition Magic is the best available out there.Has all the utilities for changing,merging,converting partitions.

well can it do the thing without re formatting. dont worry abt it being paid. it can be managed :lol: aint it?

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
ankurgupta.me said:
In Digit DVD you can find the demo of Partition Magic. Another free software like this is Partition Logic also provided by Digit. If you can have a backup, then format and partition. :)

Kniwor

Learner
i have tried using partition magic 8-10 times and failed twice.. so beware... faliure rate is high

dabster

In the zone
shashanktyagi1 said:
one fine day trying to save space i just allotted only 4.xgb for win xp home. now it is always low on space while other partions have plenty of it. any software to change the partitions without formatting? dont want to format.

As Kniwor has said, you can run into problems sometimes.
You can remove delete and remove the next partition of yr WINX XP root drive( obviously taking bakup of that data on some other drive) and then use the Partition magic to increase the size....of windows drive. The leftover space can be used by to create drive by inbuilt XP utility disk manager.

This method is little more safe than directly using the Partition magic software.

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
no i did my job with partition magic trial version. still trying to make it full. tell me one thing. hope the partition wont revert back after the trial version expires. and as far as instability of my compu is concerned it is always instable!!!!!!!

dabster

In the zone
Nope, it will remain as it is even after yr trial expires...
Partition magic makes changes to the Partition table and it is not a software emulation or something that you are thinking

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
hell i just thought the job was done. it used to do that on the scrn. but it was just a demonstration version not trial. just showed what it can do and not did it even for a single day. now plz give links for other s/w which do the job for free. this is cheating!!!!!!!!!

kanak

Right off the assembly line
Kniwor said:
i have tried using partition magic 8-10 times and failed twice.. so beware... faliure rate is high

I couldn't agree more. Any time you play around with partitions, make sure you've got backup. you never know what may happen.

Hey there is an option to grow NTFS in to neighboring contiguous space, perhaps you can use that? i tried to use it the last time i wanted to increase my partition size from 50 GB to 80 GB, but couldn't get it to work because it wasn't contiguous with the free space. If you can delete one partition, and IF the unallocated space is contiguous with the partition containing WInXP and IF the partition containing WinXP is NTFS, then you can use this option.

for more info on "growing" the partition, just check the help file of window s

Eazy

Journeyman
Here is something that may get you back some space on your Windows partition - check if the Paging File is on the same partition - if it is then move it to another partition and you should get back around 1 GB of space. If the Hibernation File is present on the partition and you are not using Hibernation you could disable this and you would get back some more space.

I ran into the problem of shortage of space on the Windows partition too - I always run 2 HDDs at a time so I made Backup Image files of the partitions to the second drive using Acronis True Image and then I made new partitions and Restored the Images - worked out perfectly. If you have access to a second drive you could do try this.

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
went to partition logic website. well it requires either cd writer or floopy. have only cd drive(not writer) and floopy drive in dust! not working. so what to do?

no second harddrive. how to chk and move paging file. cant turn off hibernate. and for system restore also tell if they hog up lot of space?

Eazy

Journeyman
shashanktyagi1 said:
no second harddrive. how to chk and move paging file. cant turn off hibernate. and for system restore also tell if they hog up lot of space?

Check for the paging file in Windows Explorer but first from Explorer you will have to go to Tools/Folder Options/View and here Tick on "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and also uncheck "Hide Protected operating system files" - XP will give you a warning when you select this.

Now look at the first partions list of files for a file name "pagefile.sys"

If it is present in the first partition you can move it to another partition where there is more free space by going to Control Panel /System Prop /Advanced / Performance / Advanced / under Virtual Memory click on "change" button

Look for the file "hiberfil.sys" with Windows Explorer and if it is present in the first partition and you are sure you will not use this feature then go to Control Panel / Power Options / Hibernate and here untick "enable Hibernation".

Yes System Restore can use quite a bit of space - but take care - dont disable this or some day you may need to restore Windows to a previous working setup and you will get stuck.

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Windows uses its boot drive like hell for all sorts of purposes.
It uses it for its Pagefiles, Hibernation, System Restore, Temporary Files, Storing Update and hotfix backups, and many others.

Always try and allot approx 15 to 20 GB of space to the boot partitions for proper functioning.

As for Now, you have two options
1) Backup all your files and Reinstall Windows (better choice)

2) Resize the partition (It is better not to mess with partitions according to me)

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
changed page files. now 490mb left on my widows drive. compu not showing warning but its sstill less. any way to resize partitions?

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
shashanktyagi1 said:
@rajkumar how to resize partitions for free. not paying 70$ willl try it for 40rs though.
First get Norton's app for resizing (from Digit CD/DVD or somewhere else) and then you know that to do....don't u :wink: :wink:
If you don't get it....PM me or mail me at raj.neo@gmail.com and I'll enlighten you !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom