Change the display language in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
My friend brought his laptop sent by his brother from Spain. Its default language is Spanish ( I suppose it is ) now he wants me to change the display language to English. His laptop runs on Vista Home Premium and I have no experience on Vista I know it should be in Control Panel -- Regional settings -- keyboard settings but I am able to reach till regional settings from there on I don't understand the language on the tabs!!

So now how do I go about changing the default language in English. Suppose if there is no english there then how do I install english language ??

Help needed asap!!
Thanks

narangz

Web developer
Try this:
First launch Regional Settings.
Now see the screenshots and try:

*img212.imageshack.us/img212/4788/39420560ro3.th.jpg

*img212.imageshack.us/img212/129/88111696td2.th.jpg

*img132.imageshack.us/img132/5774/70545837rw6.th.jpg

Let me know the result :)

OP
jamesbond007

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@narangz

From your first screen shot I don't the get display language section from where one can install and uninstall languages. I guess Windows Vista Home Premium doesn't have this option and I think those screen shots were taken from Ultimate edition!

Now do you think I have any other options ??
Kudos to you man you have taken screen shots to help some one!! that is very great of you, and those screen shots helped to pin point the exact location of changing the display language!!
Do you think Home Premium will have any other way of changing display language. When I googled for the same, all I got was to buy english version of vista or I'd have had some luck if I have Ultimate edition pre installed!!

Thank you very much for your help, and in case you find a solution in vista home premium please post it!!

narangz

Web developer
Yes its from Ultimate Edition. Let me see if it's different in Home Premium. Also ensure you have logged in using Administrator or account with equivalent priviliges. The laptop should have come with recovery DVD or installation DVD or not? If yes then you may also try re-installing & selecting English as the option as you can chose the language during installation. Ofcourse you need not buy an English version!

However I'll try finding a solution without re-installation. I'll post as soon as I find the solution.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Change the display language

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files.

Click to open Regional and Language Options.

Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

Note
If you don't see the list of display languages, you need to install additional language files first. For more information, see Install a display language.
*forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=235470&messageID=2413368

i don think its possible in home premium ... once u select a certain lanuguage on first startup or install vista deletes other lanuguages ...

enterprise and ulti have the option for sure will hav to confirm for home premium

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Home premium lacks MUI. You can do 2 things...

1) Ask teh laptop company in India to give u a Vista DVD, then enter the exixsting serial key when reinstall vista from new DVD & select English as teh language.

2) Get a DVD from somewhere & use the existing serial

narangz

Web developer
Sadly gx_saurav is right.
John Barnett MVP 10/14/2007 8:21 AM PST

You need to buy an English language version. Vista Home and Vista premium
are not multi language, unfortunately. Vista Ultimate, on the other hand,
does have additional language packs that can be installed.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

What the hell! Why should a person buy a licence to just change language for a product he has already bought!

Do as suggested above. Get a Home Premium DVD and enter your existing serial number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom