Cellphone for less than 5k

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
1. Budget?
A: 2-4k.

2. Display type and size?
A: Touch UI. 3.5" or more.

3. Dual sim?
A: would be a benefit, but not a necessity.

4. Preferred choice of brand?
A: any; can't care more for servicing at such a budget.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
A: Flash

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
A: Android

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
A: WiFi and 3G (in that order of preference).

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
A: calls, messages, chatting, emails, browsing >>> camera >> multimedia (rare-to-no gaming).

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
A: No. too many choices.

10. Any other info that you want to share?
A: No.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

so i need a phone as a back-up cell. i have a now unused htc chacha, but its keys have worn out. dont feel like investing in sourcing a new keyboard for it from outside. was thinking of selling it and getting a new cheap cell. am not sure whether i would do that or would be successful in it, but wanted to get some suggestions beforehand. saw a variety of options on flipkart, and was unable to decide. please suggest.

thanks!

UPDATE: Xolo A500 series looks good.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Lenovo A369i: 4.5k
Karbonn Smart A12 Star: 4.1k

both has same spec of 4" WVGA display, mediatek dualcore Cortex A7 processor with 512MB ram & 4GB storage but Karbonn ships with Android 4.4 whereas Lenovo has Android 4.2. Lenovo one is a tried and tested model whereas Karbonn one is new.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I can swear by Lenovo a369i. Shoot me any qs if u want.

Some niggles: When scrolling through massive content in tapatalk it stutters a bit. Also it might cause the browser to crash while loading graphic rich websites. But other than that, perfectly usable and smooth. I have rooted and greenified all the apps though.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Lenovo A369i: 4.5k
Karbonn Smart A12 Star: 4.1k

both has same spec of 4" WVGA display, mediatek dualcore Cortex A7 processor with 512MB ram & 4GB storage but Karbonn ships with Android 4.4 whereas Lenovo has Android 4.2. Lenovo one is a tried and tested model whereas Karbonn one is new.

I can swear by Lenovo a369i. Shoot me any qs if u want.

Some niggles: When scrolling through massive content in tapatalk it stutters a bit. Also it might cause the browser to crash while loading graphic rich websites. But other than that, perfectly usable and smooth. I have rooted and greenified all the apps though.

thanks a lot, both of you!

is lenovo's service marginally better than karbonn's (i understand what 'service' these desi companies give)? although i wrote in questionnaire that service isn't important, but on second thought now, feeling that i should after all factor it in.

also, any words on Xolo A500s Lite / Xolo A500 Club?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz

is lenovo's service marginally better than karbonn's (i understand what 'service' these desi companies give)? although i wrote in questionnaire that service isn't important, but on second thought now, feeling that i should after all factor it in.

I took a risk with the service thing. Im not sure how lenovo's service is. Hope i dont have to use it :p. If you want good service, then get a nokia 520 after shelling some more.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I took a risk with the service thing. Im not sure how lenovo's service is. Hope i dont have to use it :p. If you want good service, then get a nokia 520 after shelling some more.

lenovo has ok-ok service,better than most other brands but not as good as nokia etc its still good enough though

- - - Updated - - -

karbonn and xolo service is not that great,lenovo is decent but still not as good as nokia etc
get the lenovo,its a safer buy
if u can spend a bit more,get the moto e,its a vfm deal and is worth the extra money

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker

thanks, its a good option, but can't spend more at the moment, nor inclined to save up. :p

- - - Updated - - -

lenovo has ok-ok service,better than most other brands but not as good as nokia etc its still good enough though

- - - Updated - - -

karbonn and xolo service is not that great,lenovo is decent but still not as good as nokia etc
get the lenovo,its a safer buy
if u can spend a bit more,get the moto e,its a vfm deal and is worth the extra money

hope i won't need any servicing. from my side, the usage would be minimal, far from rough, and would pray that any manufacturing defect doesn't crop up.
moto e is a good choice, but the budget is a significant constraint for me as of now.

- - - Updated - - -

lenovo looks good.

it seems then lenovo is a general consensus here. i hope a dated android version won't pose any handicap?

hoping for some xolo a5000s user to chime in as well. :)

nishataneja90

New to this forum
Hi,
I would like to know about BQ s37 plus mobile thats available for 3K. Is it worth and is it stock kitkat 4.4.2 os? Any of yours suggestions are welcome and appreciated.. :)

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Quick bump & questions:

1. For 5-6k, is android one a better proposition?
2. Spice android one or karbonn android one?!

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Quick bump & questions:

1. For 5-6k, is android one a better proposition?
2. Spice android one or karbonn android one?!

only if you want camera flash
otherwise Moto E is better in every other aspect
if android one was made by oems like Moto,HTC or even Samsung i would have recommended it over the zenfone and Moto E

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
only if you want camera flash
otherwise Moto E is better in every other aspect
if android one was made by oems like Moto,HTC or even Samsung i would have recommended it over the zenfone and Moto E

alright. i had read the spice android one review here a day or two back, and hence it struck me why not get that as a low-cost phone. however, now even moto g1 is crossing my mind, upping the budget-bar. will need some more time to think.

Top Bottom