cd rom drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramasamy59

Right off the assembly line
I am using windows XP and have CD ROM drive. Oflate I came to know that my CD Rom is not reading any CDs. But from the folder My Computer when select eject CD, the tray comes out. It means that my PC is communicating with my CD drive. But it is not reading any CDs. Is the drive corrupted?

Last edited:

Bandu

Journeyman
I think he means "My computer is communicating with the CD drive, but still does not read the CD". :confused:

PhB

Jughead!!!
Hey! That happened to my DVD drive also. It couldn't read any discs. So I cleaned the lens with a CD lens cleaner.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
My Computer when select eject CD, the tray comes out. It means that my PC is communicating with my CD drive. But it is not reading any CDs. Is the drive corrupted?

Just an ejecting tray doesnot mean a full communication with the system...
u can eject the tray by only plugging the powercable also...:D

Just use a good lens cleaner...coz there may b dusts inside & also use a good clean \
CD...:)

if nothing works then take it 2 a service center..:cool:

PhB

Jughead!!!
And also by prodding the tiny hole in the drive with a pin, you can eject it. Put a dab of liquid on the cleaner if it doesn't work the first time.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
When this happens, its time to buy a new drive. this is common, nothing new. if lens cleaner doesn't help. then its gone. taking it to service centre is useless if its out of warranty, they will quote the price of a new drive for repairing the old one.

BTW this post is in software troubleshooting?!

OP
R

Ramasamy59

Right off the assembly line
Even lense clearner is not working

It is more than 5 years old. All type of CDS. Even lense clearner CD also not working

Last edited:

Raccoon

Journeyman
Which brand is it?

One last thing you could try before you discard it is to check if the data cable is fixed correctly. If possible try using the drive on another comp (dont use the same cable!).

Raccoon

Journeyman
5 yrs? :shock:
Time to say good bye to it now,
you can get a DVD writer for 3K these days....

No logic in throwing away a working drive just because its 4 years old!! :eek:

As for prices, LG DVD writer is available for 1,050 here. I bought my Moser Baer LiteOn for 1,200. That was couple weeks back.

No logic in throwing away a working drive just because its 4 years old!! :eek:

As for prices, LG DVD writer is available for 1,050 here. I bought my Moser Baer LiteOn for 1,200. That was couple weeks back.
My logic is that the drive definitely must have exceeded the warranty period now.
Also, since it is about 5 years old, it will be heavy on the pocket to fix it too.
In most cases, a new drive can be bought with better features at the same cost of repairing the old one (if not cheaper)
So, it is better to go for new a drive once you are sure the old one refuses to work despite repeated attempts (AFAIK, this is clear from the fact that even lense cleaners have no effect)
That all :)
PS. my 700th post :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom