CD In / Aux connector

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I used to connect a cable from back panel of CD/DVD drive to the CD In/aux 4 pin connector on the mobo with onboard sound.
I guess the CD rippers would read the data thru this connector.
newer mobos do not have this 4 pin CD in/aux connector. Will CD ripping still be possible without use of such connectors?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
In earlier times, processors were much less powerful than they are now and it was desireable to relieve them of some of their workload wherever possible. One such work is decoding the raw digital audio data from optical discs. CD/DVD drives have built-in decoders and their output is taken from the 4-pin audio connector. Using that relieves the main processor from some of its workload.

Modern computers are so powerful that audio processing takes up only a small part of its processing power. Using or not using the optical drive's built-in processor hardly makes any difference now.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I used to connect a cable from back panel of CD/DVD drive to the CD In/aux 4 pin connector on the mobo with onboard sound.
I guess the CD rippers would read the data thru this connector.
newer mobos do not have this 4 pin CD in/aux connector. Will CD ripping still be possible without use of such connectors?

Firstly, you have got a 4pin CD in/aux connector, congrats!! They are rare nowadays. See the post of pimpom. He have already explained it already.

Top Bottom