CD/DVD Lens Cleaners - Are they effective ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VexByte

Norms Buster
CD lens cleaners - the CD-like devices that have a row of small brushes on the bottom of the disc. They're supposed to wipe the dust off of the CD player's laser lens and lessen skipping.

I've heard that these CD/DVD Lens Cleaners are bad. The brushes, especially on the cheaper models, can knock the sensitive laser out of alignment and this can only be remedied by a trip to a service professional.

So infact, is the CD/DVD Lens Cleaner "really" effective ? :confused:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
As Piysh said, they are effective to some extend. Until recently, I could get only cheap unknown brands. Few days back I got a Philips one for Rs.125/-. The MRP was Rs. 150.

BTW, are CD cleaners equally effective on DVD writers/players?

slugger

Banned
IC CHIP had once written an article for cleaning ur optical drive

they'd given step-by-step instruction to open ur drive and clean ur lens and re-grease the tray drive.

i followed it once.

all u need is a little vaseline, cotton swab, detergent and a screw driver, definitley a lot cheaper than buying a lens cleaner and effectiveness guaranteed [personal exp]

janitha

Wise Old Owl
slugger said:
IC CHIP had once written an article for cleaning ur optical drive

they'd given step-by-step instruction to open ur drive and clean ur lens and re-grease the tray drive.

i followed it once.

all u need is a little vaseline, cotton swab, detergent and a screw driver, definitley a lot cheaper than buying a lens cleaner and effectiveness guaranteed [personal exp]

I have also done so once with a CD ROM, just to try it out. Once you get the knack of it, it is a simple 5 minute job and gets the thing done far better.
Just be careful in doing it.
Or almost any repairman will do it for Rs.100/- or even less.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
better go for new one drive as most effectively and perfect cleaning can increase ur lens life to 1-2 months and thats for clean CD still skratched CDs rarely it will read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom