^CAS Latency^

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
I've a Strontium DDR3 4GB 1333 with 7-7-7-20 Latency RAM,
now i'm planning to buy one Corsair 9-9-9-24 4GB 1333
[my CPU memory controller is 1066 mhz]
My confusions are-
1.will these 2 ram's match properly..!
2.which cas latency is better..! (wiki shows the lower latency is better..but why most people try to highlight their higher cas latency..)

help me to clear out my confusion...thanks.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your memory module is running at 1066 Mhz and at that speed most DDr3 memory modules will give you 7-7-7-20 timing at 1066 Mhz speed. So how come you are so sure that your memory module is rated at 1333 Mhz at 7-7-7-20 timing - is it written on the box pack or what ? It's must be 9-9-9-24 - just my educated guess ;-) Post couple of CPU-z screenshot of the cpu/memory and spd tabs.

Now coming to the compatibilty issue pairing tow ram modules from different manufacturer may or may not work as it's always recommended to use memory modules from same manufacturer with same speed and same latency/timing setting or better buy ram kits.

Lower latency with higher speed always yields better performance ..

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
So how come you are so sure that your memory module is rated at 1333 Mhz at 7-7-7-20 timing - is it written on the box pack or what ? It's must be 9-9-9-24 - just my educated guess ;-) Post couple of CPU-z screenshot of the cpu/memory and spd tabs.
here it is..
*s14.postimage.org/vsnc8vhwt/Memory.jpg
*s10.postimage.org/porsxmrhx/Slot.jpg
*s16.postimage.org/9k6ht800h/CPU.jpg
pairing tow ram modules from different manufacturer may or may not work as it's always recommended to use memory modules from same manufacturer with same speed and same latency/timing setting
Lower latency with higher speed always yields better performance ..
Thanks for the info..

Attachments

• Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Slot.jpg
    Slot.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Check timing tables in 'slot' screenshot. For speed 1333 latencies are specified as 9-9-9-25(1333/2).
Your ram is running at 1066(cpu controller speed) hence your current latency will be 7-7-7-20(1066/2).

Cpu speed is 1066, mobo speed is 1066-1333. I think lowest timings are chosen by default.

Top Bottom