carrying desktop in train

OP
pritamk

pritamk

Broken In
does anybody has any idea whether octroi charges are levied in Gujarat or not especially in Bharuch?

U may not need to pay it in Mumbai. As u'll catch the train from Mumbai central (I assume) which is in same place as Grant Road (where Lamington Road is).

U may need to pay octroi when u enter Gujrat. Do talk with station master before you board the train from Mumbai. In that case ur things would be kept in cargo not under ur seat :)
will it be safe in cargo?
what will i have to do to carry it with me under the seat?

the thing is i m building rig on tight budget
i cant extend it on paying octroi thats why i m trying to clarify my doubts

abhidev

Human Spambot
@pritmak and @rhitwick: You can carry max upto 25-30kgs of goods with you(under ur seat for that matter)...if it goes beyond that then you have to pay some charges based on the weight of the goods which then goes into the cargo(weighing is done by the station master).

OP
pritamk

pritamk

Broken In
@pritmak and @rhitwick: You can carry max upto 25-30kgs of goods with you(under ur seat for that matter)...if it goes beyond that then you have to pay some charges based on the weight of the goods which then goes into the cargo(weighing is done by the station master).

but what about newly bought desktop?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Octroi is a tax collected by the Government for goods entering in the metros city limits. An Octroi charge has to be borne by the buyer.

Octroi is only in Maharashtra & not in other states.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

Not like this.

The state decides on which goods it would charge octroi. In Maharashtra they charge on anything, as in the officers language "Mitti se leke sona sab pe octroi lagta hai agar mumbai se Thane leke ate ho to".

So many days I feared that they would stop me at Mulund naka for buying clothes from Lifestyle (which is in mulund) and bringing to Thane.

OP
pritamk

pritamk

Broken In
Octroi is a tax collected by the Government for goods entering in the metros city limits. An Octroi charge has to be borne by the buyer.

are u sure abt it?
that means if i take my newly bought desktop in mumbai to bharuch in gujarat i dont have to pay anything right?

trigger

Journeyman
There is a weight restriction of 40 kg/passenger in 3AC. Recently, there was a raid by chief TC in my compartment, he clearly stated the restriction..

Tech&ME

Banned
hey guys i dont know whether its right platform to ask this question but i need your help
has anyone carried desktop while travelling in train?
do we need to pay extrat for that? if yes where do we pay that?
i will be buying my rig in mumbai and coming back to bharuch (Guajrat) by 3rd AC?
plz help

YES !! you need to pay octroi during transit of Desktop Computer in Indian Railways.

"Flying Squards" are authorised to collect such octroi in trains.

What I will suggest you to do is as follows:

Step 1: Goto the dealer/shop from where you purchased the Desktop Computer (In case of branded computer)

Step 2: Ask the dealer/shopkeeper to write or stamp the invoice as "For Personal USE only".

IN CASE YOU HAVE ASSEMBLED THE DESKTOP YOURSELF DO THE FOLLOWING:

Step 1a : Take a paper and write a DECLARATION that you posses an Desktop Computer for Personal USE and you are a student and you want to move it to a new location. (You can also prepare a AFFIDAVIT and get it registered at your city court, not very difficult).

Step 3: Show the Invoice as detailed in step 2 / or AFFIDAVIT as detailed in step 1a to the officer at the train station and ask him to excuse you from paying octroi. Evenif he (Flying Squad) insist you to pay, you still have to pay but he will consider you as a student (show him your college ID) and reduce the amount.

Step 4: Take proper receipt from him for the amount you are paying.

Step 5: Show the receipt if asked again in between your journey to any other officers on duty.

PS : Laptops are allowed to be carried on trains without any fees/octroi.

slashragnarok

In the zone
Guys I just wanna buy a cabinet from Mumbai and bring it with me on train to Kolkata. If I possess the original invoice do I have to pay anything else? I will possess only 1 suitcase apart from this that will weigh around 15 kg. Cabby weight is 12 kg. My weight is 60 kg [:p].

Gollum

Collector
I took my pc (zebronics reaper cabinet and lg lcd tv monitor) from pune to delhi in 3ac.
I packed me cabinet and monitor in a 69 position and taped them together. on the way people kept their feet on it, had food and even spilled water on it. nothing happened. no one asked for money.
next time I took plenty of speakers and my ups in two bags. they were heavy but I manged to carry my precious safely.

slashragnarok

In the zone
K thanks for sharing your experience. I'm looking to put it up in the upper berth (which by the way is allotted to me). Should there be a problem?

Top Bottom