Career in IT Security, need guidance.

ratul

█████████████████
Ok, so now my final sem in B.tech has started, and it's time for me to start building up my profile for the job..
I have the plans to go further in Ethical hacking, most probably in OS exploitation, VAPT, network security kinda stuff.
I took a course in Networking Security, currently developing linux skills, and side by side experimenting in Backtrack 5 R3, in a VM, learning python, and soon to start Bash shell scripting once i complete the linux basics, for the programming part, i know basics in C and C# with ASP.NET..
Is it the right way to proceed?? Or am i missing something..
Also for the job, no company comes for placement in IT security post, and from what i have heard that you need some sort of reference in order to get a job in IT security, but i still don't know many people in my circle, who is pursuing a career in this field, so still no reference (all of them are abroad now).. :(
There was one senior, who's in dubai now, who told me that doing CEH would probably benefit you in passing the HR, but the problem is i cannot ask my parents to sponsor the exam, as it's too costly and i made up my find to do it myself once i find the job, but that's the main cause of my worry.. :cry: my main aim was to clear OSCP and skip CEH, as CEH is mostly mugging up the concepts, while OSCP is a more practical approach, but now i have to do both, for which i need your guidance..
I am really worried about the opportunities i'll get once i passout from the college, are there enough opportunities for the freshers in IT security, how to apply for them, and what basic criteria according to you is needed for this job??
I literally don't want to go for any programmer or coder post, getting hired by TCS or Infosys, and then screwing the time, what i need is just a job in this field only...

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
See: Cisco Career Certifications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a MUST do for all network engineers..

Your way should be:
1. CCENT 640-822 ICND1
2. 640-816 ICND2
3. 640-554 IINS
4. 642-618 Firewall
5. 642-627 IPS
6. 642-637
7. 642-648

1 to 3 is must do before joining any company as they are basic parts.
4,5,6,7 can be done after joining any company, but it is advisable to complete 4 & 7 at time of completing b.tech.

P.S. cost of each exams, specially, CCNP exams are ~$300-400.

Personal experience: My area of 'certification specialization' is routing, switching & tshooting. Although I've completed CCDA.
Believe me above CCDA those exams are not easy, but extremely valuable.

If you ever go out any other country for higher study, then you will get the following ETS PPI (for GRE):
1 PPI for CCNET, 4 PPI for CCNA, 4 PPI for CCDA, and a whopping amount of 10 PPI for each professional level completed certification.

Note that it's hierarchical, without completing any entry level or associate level or senior level certification, pro level certifications have no value at all.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
but i don't wanna be in core networking field or becoming network engineer, i know that i need networking knowledge for VAPT, and i have basic knowledge of networking and have basic idea of router configurations (Packet Tracer), but don't you think that these certs are overdo for a fresher pentester?? is'nt CEH or OSCP should be my preference??
And as i have stated that my parents won't sponsor these $400 exams for me, i have to do them once i start earning, so i need guidance on how to fetch job as a Pentester or Info Sec. Analyst or any related job..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
but i don't wanna be in core networking field or becoming network engineer, i know that i need networking knowledge for VAPT, and i have basic knowledge of networking and have basic idea of router configurations (Packet Tracer), but don't you think that these certs are overdo for a fresher pentester?? is'nt CEH or OSCP should be my preference??
And as i have stated that my parents won't sponsor these $400 exams for me, i have to do them once i start earning, so i need guidance on how to fetch job as a Pentester or Info Sec. Analyst or any related job..

1. Without CCNET & CCDA, CEH doesn't have any 'real value' in professional field at all.
2. OSCP is cr@p. No body pays any attention to them.

P.S. CCNET exams costs $125, CCDA costs $210. It's not $400.

This means, you NEED to have CCDA along with CCNET before you can think of any other certifications like CEH.
Here I'm talking about multinational companies, not the approach of some desi security company.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
1. Without CCNET & CCDA, CEH doesn't have any 'real value' in professional field at all.
2. OSCP is cr@p. No body pays any attention to them.

P.S. CCNET exams costs $125, CCDA costs $210. It's not $400.

This means, you NEED to have CCDA along with CCNET before you can think of any other certifications like CEH.
Here I'm talking about multinational companies, not the approach of some desi security company.

darn it, so now i need two more certifications before i can land myself into a job.. :(
well, i searched for these two exams, CCENT is ok, it's entry level networking course, but CCDA is mainly for network designers, how can i benefit from it???
and is'nt there a workaround to fetch a job without any certifications???
can you list some companies if you know any, that hire freshers in Security, coz i am not able to find any decent ones, and they don't come for this post in campus placement.. :(

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Your B;tech is good enough to give you jobs from in-campus recruitment.

CCDA is for Security.

And sorry about CCDA. I messed two branches up.
You are going to need CCNA & 640-554 IINS for security.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
Your B;tech is good enough to give you jobs from in-campus recruitment.

CCDA is for Security.

And sorry about CCDA. I messed two branches up.
You are going to need CCNA & 640-554 IINS for security.

ok.. :p
so let me discuss about this with my parents, let's see what's their opinion.. :p

B.Tech is good for campus placement no doubt, but no security related job posts comes in campus placement, all we see is java programmers, .net programmers etc. I mentioned in my question that i am in no mood in joining in any job other than something relating to VAPT, these programmers post just does'nt interest me much, they don't pose any challenge... :p
btw, if my parents deny to sponsor for these exams, what would you suggest then??? Is'nt there's a workaround to land a job without those certs??? Coz i think that you only need certs to pass HR, Technical Interview is nothing related to your certs.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
btw, if my parents deny to sponsor for these exams, what would you suggest then??? Is'nt there's a workaround to land a job without those certs??? Coz i think that you only need certs to pass HR, Technical Interview is nothing related to your certs.

1. If your parent won't sponsor, then after b.tech get a job on temprary basis, earn by your yourself and self sponsor these exams.
2. AFAIK, no.
3. As you are interested in security section, if you cam complete CCENt, CCNA, CCNA security, CCNP Security, you should be getting direct offers from the company, and there will be a long HR interview accompanied by a very short technical interview. (saying this from my personal experience)
Salary? After you complete CCNP salary will depend on your specialization of CCNP. Expect an annual salary of ~8-10L. (depending on the company & job description)

Renny

Padawan
@ d6bmg,

Are you in the networking and security. If you don't mind could you mention the certs you have obtained!? And how is work in this field?

Top Bottom