Canon dslr

doom

Journeyman
Hello

My dad is thinking of buying a DSLR. At first he was going with eos 600d with 18-55 mm And 55-250 mm but someone said a 18-135 mm lens is much better as you don't have to change the lens again and again and it's quite cumbersome to carry a lens.

So now the choice is between 600d, 60d and 700d. It will be the first DSLR.

Please suggest

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
600D is a good DSLR for first timers ...and 700D is just too costly ....a 700D with kit cost almost 50k
60D is not a big success coz its not that great against nikon D7000

now to get a 18-55+55-250 or 18-135 IS .....there are two things (I am considering that u are asking abt older 18-135 IS and not 18-135 IS STM)
1. the quality of combo lens is better then a single 18-135
2. in combo at same price u are reaching 250mm which is good for birding or far off subjects...a 135mm is just good for zoo animals max.

But I heard canon 18-135 STM is very good...but dont know the price

OP
D

doom

Journeyman
Cost is not much of an issue here. 70D would fit in the budget. But the thing is carrying 2 lenses is cumbersome. 1 lens is more handy. And changing lenses, according to him is troublesome :p
So the lens choice is fixed at 18-135mm

sujoyp

Grand Master
70D or 700D ??

ok get 18-135 Canon EF-S18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens - Canon: Flipkart.com
it cost 34k and get the right DSLR body with remaining budget

raja manuel

In the zone
Why do you want a DSLR if you don't want to changes lenses? That is one of the defining features of DSLRs.

The 18-135 is certainly a good lens but if you are set on having only one lens, you will need to consider what kind of photography you wish to do. If you do a lot of travelling and like landscapes or architecture, you might prefer the (admittedly much more expensive) 15-85 which is a very well regarded lens.

One of the main selling points of the 18-135 is the STM assisted continuous autofocus in video mode – a feature that is not supported by the 600D (you will need 650D or later to exploit that) so you are a paying a bit for a feature you cannot use.

The 18-135 STM does feature a non rotating front element (as does the 15-85) which makes it much easier to use a polariser than on the 18-55 or 55-250 (unless you are using the STM versions of those lenses which also feature non-rotating front elements). It also has a zoom lock lever. Again, though, the value of these features depends on the kind of photography you do.

sujoyp

Grand Master
ooh I forgot that STM feature are not usable on 600D ...but STM and non STM lens price difference is almost 1-2k ..soo better go for STM only

OP
D

doom

Journeyman
Initially my dad wants to use the DSLR with one lens. Later he will consider buying another lens.

He was told that difference between 600d and 700d was only touch screen in latter. So the doubt is between 600d and 60d. The choice between lens is 18-135mm and 18-200mm.

BTW what is the difference between stm and non stm lens? Are the stm features usable on 600d and 700d?

I can't find the link to 600d+ and 700d+

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
STM is a silent motor which helps in video ...since it dont produces any sound ur video dont catch the sound of motor rotating inside the lens which is really distracting

600D does not have the feature to utilise STM feture ...but 700D can use it to full

OP
D

doom

Journeyman
STM is a silent motor which helps in video ...since it dont produces any sound ur video dont catch the sound of motor rotating inside the lens which is really distracting

600D does not have the feature to utilise STM feture ...but 700D can use it to full

Is the sound too much in 600d?

sujoyp

Grand Master
in normal lenses when we record video the lens continously try to focus on the subject soo the focus motor makes sound...the STM is the solution for that sound :)

check video demo on youtube

OP
D

doom

Journeyman
Ok I'll look it up on YouTube. There is this no auto focus during videos in the 600d, any major drawbacks?
BTW my dad is thinking to get a 600d double kit and a 18-135mm lens later on to replace the 18-55mm.

2 disadvantages I see are the noon stm lens and the no auto focus. Any other alternatives within the same range?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Look 600D+twin lens combo is a good deal actually ...

600D also shoots great videos...just that 700D is newer and better for video...if u are soo enthusiastic about awesome video then get 700D else 600D is enough for starters...also you may know that DSLR can record only max 15 mins video at a time..and that 15 min FHD video may take almost 12GB of space

raja manuel

In the zone
It is not the STM of the lens itself that is the limitation. In video mode, the DSLR uses live view which means it must use sensor based focusing for autofocus. The 600D and older Canons (including the 60D) only have contrast detect autofocus in live view which, while more accurate, is also very slow and leads to very obvious 'hunting' for focus. The 650D and later models have a hybrid on-sensor autofocus that brings phase-detect to live view which is much quicker. It is with this autofocus mechanism that the STM lens becomes important – because previously, due to the hunting issue, videographers avoided autofocussing in video and therefore the sound, as well as jerky transition, was not much of an issue.

The 650D features version I of the hybrid autofocus and the 100D and 700D feature version II of the hybrid autofocus. The 70D takes this idea to a whole new level with dual-pixel autofocus.

Whoever told your dad that the only difference between 600D and 700D is a touch screen is extremely ignorant. There are several differences which makes the 700D a much more advanced camera:
* Digic 5 processor vs. Digic 4 on the 600D; gives better low light performance and higher burst rate (5 vs. 3.7 FPS)
* All 9 autofocus points (in viewfinder mode) are cross type, vs. only centre autofocus point being cross type in the 600D
* Stereo microphone
You can find an exhaustive comparison of 600D vs. 700D in DP Review's 700D review.

Again, all these differences matter only if your kind of photography needs these additional features. The 600D with a twins lens bundle is available at a very nice price now and presents excellent value for money, leaving more funds for all the other stuff you will need for your DSLR, like a good flash, tripod, etc.

aniket.cain

Padawan
I have a 700D, which I purchased few months ago. Even though it was quite costly when compared to 600D, the extras were very tempting. So I got them over 600D, and don't regret one bit. The touchscreen is godsend. I am now much more interested in the manual settings than I was when I had a 1000D. And the STM is so silent, that you can never tell that it is focusing/re-focusing by listening to it.

I would be happy to answer any queries one may have regarding it. :)

Top Bottom