Cannot access folder!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

netcracker

Journeyman
Hi...Folks..

I just reinstalled windows in the same drive as the previous Windows Installation.The previous user's folder in Documents and Settings are still there with the My documents folder of the previous installation.But now when I try to open this folder it gives an error saying "Access Denied"

This seems cause i had a password for the user in the previous installation....

I tried using CACLS command in cmd but it is not working....

Is there any way to Access this files??

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
How can older folder be still there.It seems that u hav't formated the drive during reinstallation.And I m afraid u cant open those..becoz that folder were under ur ealier window adminstrator.May sm one help u with registry edit.

OP
N

netcracker

Journeyman
Yeah I did not format the drive...I wanted the previous My documents folder....
Is There no way to open it??

It think that windows locks the folder using the access control lists which can be changed by using the CACLS command but it's not working with the My Documents folder....:(

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Follow these steps:

For Windows XP Home edition

1. Log-in Windows in 'Safe mode' as current administrator
2. Right-click the folder> Properties> Security tab. Take the ownership under administrator(current).
3. Make sure to check the box to include Subfolders and files inside the folder.

For Windows XP professional, ignore Step1 and proceed with Steps 2 and 3.

Once you do this..You right away see to the Folder size, which was '0 bytes'. You will also get access into the folder.

overclocker

Journeyman
The problem may occur that folder which u can't open was created on an NTFS file system. This is the cause of ur prb. To resolve this issue turn of the file sharing.
Visit this link: *support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
Hope that here u can find the solution of ur problem.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
ya please do make a habit to POST solution once u get the solution...just do not come and say thanks ...solved......
REP who helped u..adn then post ur solution :D

OP
N

netcracker

Journeyman
Just like what kiran.rkk and overclocker said.....
Step by step instruction is given at the link Overclocker gave....
Basicly...

1.Turn off simple filesharing in tools>folder options>view> clear the Use simple file sharing.
2.Goto the folder Properties>Security>Click Advanced>click the Owner tab
3.In the Name list, click your user name>click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box to take ownwership of all the contents and sufolders
4.Click yes and ok.....and Presto the permissions are changed giving full access....

So once again Thanks....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom